The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php)
-   Q-talk (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   *** ADMIN NOTE *** NO PICS DIDN'T HAPPEN? I call BS! (https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=77439)

NorthwestBBQ 06-14-2011 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MilitantSquatter (Post 1631022)
Apparently, this thread needs to be bumped again...

There's at least one repetitive offender who doesn't seem to grasp the concept....

it's getting really tiring... :mad:

And who would that be? Is asking for pics the same thing now?

BBQ Grail 06-14-2011 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NorthwestBBQ (Post 1674522)

Are you just trying to stir stuff up? Vinny wrote that almost 6 weeks ago.

MilitantSquatter 06-14-2011 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NorthwestBBQ (Post 1674522)

Doesn't matter who... it applies to all, yet not everyone seems to follow... and yes, it's basically the same thing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BBQ Grail (Post 1674545)
Are you just trying to stir stuff up? Vinny wrote that almost 6 weeks ago.

Thanks Larry.

TN_BBQ 06-15-2011 06:10 AM

I'm going to hijack this thread (because I think the subjects share something in common) and make a slight reference to the bacon wrapped meatballs that folks often refer to as moink balls.

I've seen a couple folks come down off their high horse to comment about somebody enjoying their bacon wrapped meatballs. Seems some folks have an issue about capitalization.

Back to your regular scheduled program. :-P

Arlin_MacRae 06-15-2011 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TN_BBQ (Post 1674733)
I'm going to hijack this thread (because I think the subjects share something in common)

You are incorrect, sir! This is not to devolve into a discussion about moink balls, MOINK balls, or capitalization issues, no matter how much Larry likes it. :becky:
Please. Stay on topic.

chambersuac 06-15-2011 09:07 AM

I just want to be clear on this, so I don't violate the rules. I get we are not to post "No pics, didn't happen" and the like. However, if Larry were to post that he just smoked squirrel in pomegranate juice, if it illegal to ask him if he has pics to post?

'Cause I'd like to see that :)

It was a serious question, though.

TN_BBQ 06-18-2011 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arlin_MacRae (Post 1674811)
You are incorrect, sir! This is not to devolve into a discussion about moink balls, MOINK balls, or capitalization issues, no matter how much Larry likes it. :becky:
Please. Stay on topic.

I think my point is more similar than you may realize. For one, it didn't take you but about 2 hours to connect the dots and reply with capital letters.

Maybe I need to do a little more research, but I'm not sure I've seen many posts with the word moink in it that somebody didn't chime in about capital letters (and I gathered the point of this thread is to sorta curb folks from chiming in to posts and not necessarily about photos).

I had a great cookout last weekend, but didn't take pictures. Response = no pics, didn't happen

I made some moink balls. Response = make sure you use your capital letters properly

To me, they are very similar (both speak to how folks respond to posts).

This is all subject to interpretation, but so are the no pics, didn't happen comments.

chambersuac 06-18-2011 11:18 AM

You are certainly right in that this has to do with the way people respond to posts. Just not in the way you think, it seems.

When I joined the forum, "No pics, didn't happen" was the norm and was good natured ribbing. I got it many times. I was never offended. Apparently, some were - or some did it abusively, or whatever. So, the Poobah called B.S. Great. I do see it rarely, usually in the Woodpile.

As far as MOINKs, I think that also was good natured ribbing. I have been one of the ones pointed out the fact that CAPITALIZATION is the norm and standard. The man who "invented" them named them, "MOINK Balls" and I think it is a matter of respect to him to do as he asked. If you don't want to call them MOINK balls, then use "bacon wrapped meatballs" or some such.

That being said, I don't know of anyone other than a handful who have had a problem with what is usually a gentle, tongue in cheek correction.

Since I have been asked not to say, "No pics, didn't happen," I don't. If the higher ups here ask us to stop asking for proper capitalization, I will. But, I don't see why people are so sensitive about it. Can someone enlighten me?

Quote:

Originally Posted by TN_BBQ (Post 1677994)
I think my point is more similar than you may realize. For one, it didn't take you but about 2 hours to connect the dots and reply with capital letters.

Maybe I need to do a little more research, but I'm not sure I've seen many posts with the word moink in it that somebody didn't chime in about capital letters (and I gathered the point of this thread is to sorta curb folks from chiming in to posts and not necessarily about photos).

I had a great cookout last weekend, but didn't take pictures. Response = no pics, didn't happen

I made some moink balls. Response = make sure you use your capital letters properly

To me, they are very similar (both speak to how folks respond to posts).

This is all subject to interpretation, but so are the no pics, didn't happen comments.

TN_BBQ 06-18-2011 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chambersuac (Post 1678058)
You are certainly right in that this has to do with the way people respond to posts. Just not in the way you think, it seems.

When I joined the forum, "No pics, didn't happen" was the norm and was good natured ribbing. I got it many times. I was never offended. Apparently, some were - or some did it abusively, or whatever. So, the Poobah called B.S. Great. I do see it rarely, usually in the Woodpile.

As far as MOINKs, I think that also was good natured ribbing. I have been one of the ones pointed out the fact that CAPITALIZATION is the norm and standard. The man who "invented" them named them, "MOINK Balls" and I think it is a matter of respect to him to do as he asked. If you don't want to call them MOINK balls, then use "bacon wrapped meatballs" or some such.

That being said, I don't know of anyone other than a handful who have had a problem with what is usually a gentle, tongue in cheek correction.

Since I have been asked not to say, "No pics, didn't happen," I don't. If the higher ups here ask us to stop asking for proper capitalization, I will. But, I don't see why people are so sensitive about it. Can someone enlighten me?

Maybe I am being a little sensitive, but I suspect the "no pics, didn't happen" stuff also started out as ribbing. I KNOW it started out as fun n games and continues to be that way by 99.9% of the folks, but I'm just sayin (if we don't study history, we are doomed to repeat it).

I simply can't get Bobby Valentine and the "I invented the sandwich wrap" out of my head every time I hear somebody go on about the meatballs n bacon. Yes, I know Larry doesn't claim to have invented the bacon wrapped meatball. Guess it's just the fact that lots of folks frequently get so hung up on the capital letters, and that has a way of rubbing me the wrong way at times. Maybe it's their insistence on compliance???? :confused:

Nonetheless, I'm sticking to my guns that there are "some" similarities between the posts about pictures and the capital letters.

BBQchef33 06-18-2011 11:03 PM

ok, I'll make it more clear.....

admin note(Again):

1 -this has NOTHING do with moink, meat balls, or MOINK balls.

2 -RE: 'no pics, didnt happen'.. What started out as some ribbing, progressed into folks abusing it, to the point of other members NOT posting cooks and experiences because they didnt have pictures and just didn't want to here the same old catch phrase. In other words, it got old.. and prevented members from participating. As admin, thats something i wont condone... Admin staff is here to encourage participation and if we see something that negatively effects it, we step in.

2 - Seriously asking for a photo to better envision a posts content is not the same.

3 - The correct or incorrect spelling of a bacon wrapped meatball will not have a negative effect on the forum or stop people from posting overall experiences.. there is no correlation.

bigabyte 06-19-2011 12:03 AM

No MOINK, didn't happen.

BBQ Grail 06-19-2011 12:41 AM

People who can't take a farking joke is why I no longer even open threads that mention bacon wrapped meatballs. If you don't get the humor or are overly sensitive to being teased then bite your tongue and stop screwing stuff up for those who have a sense of humor. The fact that I even got dragged into this discussion is just wrong in so many ways.

Midnight Smoke 06-19-2011 01:10 AM

It's just BBQ! Isn't it supposed to be fun?

accent 09-10-2011 08:35 AM

Hi
Brand new here, and one of the reasons I joined this site is because of reading the "no pic, didnt happen" thread.
You can talk about sense of humor but so many take it too far.
All I want is to discuss bbq and discuss the many facets of it.
I do not care if a pic is posted or not, and I dont want anyone telling me I have to post pics or else I am some kind of pervert or liar.
After all it is a discussion forum, not a picture posting contest.
Also, Ive seen enough ribs, chicken, brisket and pulled port pics to know exactly what they look like. It is the discussion that I am more interested in.
Again, thanks for making it a policy on this forum about pics and what it means.
accent

tish 11-17-2011 09:18 PM

Well, that was... um... er... colorful? Informative? lol FWIW, I won't ever use those words in response to someone else's cook post, but if anyone says it to me... I won't take offense. I love to laugh, and think this whole Q-in' adventure is a hoot. That said, Phil, you and the mods are doing an awesome job. My hat's off to you. :yo: