Contest Results Zoo-B-Que, Racine, WI - 9/26 & 27, 2008 ***Results Added***

anyone got some top 10 results they could post???

Just for you, Bill :-D

Grand Champion: cancersuckschicago.com
Reserve Champion: Porkrastinators

3 Iowa's Smokey D's BBQ
4 Captain Ron's Brew'n Q
5 Doctor Porkenstein

6 Church of Swinetology
7 Farmboy BBQ
8 Smokey Joel/Cubby Bear
9 KRE SMOKERS
10 Q U Smokin Krewe

Chicken:
1 Farmboy BBQ
2 Iowa's Smokey D's BBQ
3 Smoke Hunters
4 Church of Swinetology
5 It's The Pitts
6 Captain Ron's Brew'n Q
7 Ma & Pa Kettle
8 Porkrastinators
9 Smokey Joel/Cubby Bear
10 cancersuckschicago.com

Ribs:
1 Captain Ron's Brew'n Q
2 Smokey Joel/Cubby Bear
3 cancersuckschicago.com
4 Church of Swinetology
5 Ma & Pa Kettle
6 Logjammin' BBQ
7 Pappa Hog & The Piglets
8 Doctor Porkenstein
9 Porkrastinators

10 Rib Rockets

Pork:
1 cancersuckschicago.com
2 Brew B Q
3 Two Skinny Cooks
4 Bear Cat Smokers
5 Porkrastinators

6 Cream City Smokers
7 Q U Smokin Krewe
8 Rib Rockets
9 Pig Without Blankets
10 Farmboy BBQ

Brisket:
1 Doctor Porkenstein
2 Porkrastinators

3 Iowa's Smokey D's BBQ
4 Windy City Smokers
5 cancersuckschicago.com
6 KRE SMOKERS
7 Church of Swinetology
8 Pig Without Blankets
9 It's The Pitts
10 Pappa Hog & The Piglets

Racine - Results, and what's turned into a novella

Dang Ron, by the time I got done writing this tome, you beat me to the punch!

OK all, here are the full results!

Top Ten Overall
1)Cancersuckschicago.com
2)Porkrastinators
3)Iowa Smokey D's BBQ
4)Captain Ron's Brew'n Q
5 Dr. Porkinstein
6 Church of Swinetology
7)Farmboy BBQ
8)Smokey Joel Cubby Bear
9)KRE Smokers
10) Q U Smokin Krewe

Chicken
1)Farmboy BBQ
2)Iowa Smokey D's BBQ
3)Smoke Hunters
4)Church of Swinetology
5)It's The Pitts
6)Captain Rons Brew'n Q
7) Ma & Pa Kettle
8)Porkrastinators
9)Smokey Joel/Cubby Bear
10) Cancersuckschicago.com

Ribs
1)Captain Ron's Brew'n Q
2)Smokey Joel/Cubby Bear
3)Cancersuckschicago.com
4)Church of Swinetology
5) Ma & Pa Kettle
6)Logjammin' BBQ
7)Pappa Hog and the Piglets
8) Dr. Porkenstein
9)Porkrastinators
10)Rib Rockets

Pork
1)Cancersuckschicago.com
2)Brew B Q
3)2 Skinny Cooks :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen: Our first walk ever!!! (4th comp)
4)Bear Cat Smokers
5)Porkrastinators
6)Cream City Smokers
7) Q U Smokin Krewe
8) Rib Rockets
9)Pigs without Blankets
10)Farmboy BBQ

Brisket
1) Doctor Porkenstein
2)Porkrastinators
3)Iowa Smokey D's BBQ
4)Windy City Smokers
5)Cancersuckschicago.com
6)KRE Smokers
6)Church of Swinetology
8)Pigs Without Blankets
9It's The Pits
10)Pappa Hog and the Piglets

Sausage
1)Slug Bug BBQ
2)Pigs Witout Blankets
3)Porkrastinators
4)Burnt Food Dude
5)Bear Cat Smokers
6)It's The Pits
7)2 Skinny Cooks:mrgreen:
8) When Pigs Fly
9) Smoke On The Water
10)Smokaholics

Dessert
1)Slyg Bug BBQ
2)Fat Boys BBQ
3)2 Skinny Cooks:mrgreen:
4)Smoke On The Water
5)Pigs Witout Blankets
6)When Pigs Fly
7)Tar Kettle Cookers
8)Bear Cat Smokers
9)Burnt Food Dude
10)Logjammin' BBQ

First off, Congrats to all the brethren (and even the non-brethren) who walked! I had heard early Friday that there were only 25 teams, but it ended up 34. Pretty good turn out for a second year comp.

We had some setbacks. Thursday morning, the day I took off from work to shop, prep and pack, I woke up to a very sick dog. Had to take him to the vet where I found he had pneumonia, as well as a golfball sized mass they've yet to figure out, and stones in...well, oh never mind. The first vet I took him to had him almost all day, and didn't call me to let me know what was up, or, more importantly, start IV meds to treat the pneumonia. In fact, I was in one of the 3 stores I hit getting our food for the comp when they called me to tell me he was too sick to stay there, as they didn't have overnight care, and that I'd need to pick him up and take him elsewhere.

Then the next vet (who is much better/compassionate) told me he very possibly might not make it. This dog is 10, I've had him 9 of the years, and I can tell you I was more than a little worried and upset.

So I finally got home at 7:30 Thursday evening and had to pack the truck and trailer up for the event. I always try and trim up my meats in advance but there was no time, so we just threw it all in, along with everything else. I was actually surprised we didn't forget more than we did!

Friday morning, my wife took our puppy (4 months old) to the same vet as my older one to board her, and we found out it would cost more than normal because, since she lived with the older dog with communicable pneumonia, she would need to be in the same isolation ward with him!

Finally got to Racine at about noon, and found we were in the far end of the competitors, team #1, (which we figured was cool since it'll be a long time before we're #1 at the end of the awards!)

Our immediate next door neighbor was Pat, from Brew B Q, who was doing his 3rd comp. And was a couple doors down from us at Westmont, which was both of our first competitions.

We were also pretty close to Captain Ron, Pappa Hog, and most of the other Brethren in attendance, and had a nice makeshift pot luck Friday evening. While Poppa Hog was feeding the masses with his peoples choice pork tenderloins, he was treating us to some mighty fine beef ribs! We brought along some wings and pasta salad, which seemed to go over ok for having sat in a warmer for a pot luck.BTW, the piglets were adorable!

I managed not to cut any fingers off trimming up our meats onsite, and for the first time was able to accompany my wife as she visited all the other sites with our apple pie shots.

Because of all the issues with the dogs, I figured the hell with it when considering doing my boxes Friday night, and instead enjoyed visiting with the other teams, including Burnt Food Dude and Dudette and DRE smokers, who gave us a bowl of some really tasty taco soup, and celebrating Seth from the Porkrastinators' birthday with him and many others in attendance. Although during the evening Captain Ron and his wife Amy, and many others stopped by to say hello.

Saturday morning, the Mavericks woke me up and let me know I needed to restock coals in the brisky and butt smokers, and right about dawn the 6 or 8 peacocks in a tree across from our site woke the rest of the area up with crows that would put a rooster to shame!

I had thought about trying to get the boxes done first thing in the morning, but the damn wasps were dive bombing every food related thing we had exposed. Even my wife, trying to cook up some bacon and eggs was getting strafed by the little buggers. Ultimately, I took all the greens and boxes into the little screen porch in our tent, and did each box right before the turn in of that category. Talk about flying by the seat of your pants!!!

So chicken....

We are not conventional. We turn in breast, and it costs us. But our chicken breast was still succulent and juicy 3 hours after the turn in. We didn't suck, we had one 5 but everything else was decent, and one judge gave us a 9 for texture, so we'll continue to pursue doing something other than thighs.

Ribs...

OK, I think we could have been in the top ten this time, but they got away from me. We had a couple of visitors to our site, my son and a a friend of ours with his 3 year old daughter, and I let my temps get away from me.:twisted: In the end, they were a little overcooked, and that cost us on texture, but we did pretty well on appearance and taste, so I think we were on the right track. We used a different glaze this time that I kind of invented via a fortunate accident, and everyone who tried it said it was incredible.....but I digress...:redface:

Pork...

Who knew!

Normally I make up my injections for pork and ribs ahead of time. This time, because of all the distractions, I winged it, and did something different....and we got a call!!! Our first ever! Sorry to Pat from Brew B Q for not acknowledgeing his 2nd place pork, I was just too far up in the ozone. It completely floored my wife and I, and although we're exhausted today, we're still on cloud nine!

Brisket...

Should have shopped ahead. Couldn't find a packer at Sams, and because of all the crap with the dogs, I didn't have time to go elsewhere, so I settled for two of the largest flats I could find, one that was trimmed so badly there was almost no fat cap:icon_shock1: but that wasn't apparent until I broke the seal on the Cryo to trim it up. Overall though, we didn't do bad, five 8's and a 7 for appearance, Taste and texture were 789667 and 886566, but I thought they were pretty good. We were solidly in the middle at 19th of 34

Sausage...

Damn, started this one too late!(Farkin wasps!!!) Made a fatty with seasoned cream cheese stuffed jalapenos in the center, surrounded by a swirl of a mixture of chooped red, green, yellow and orange bells and a healthy dose of mexican three cheese mix. Half an hour before turn in I was only at 145, so I moved it to another bullet that I had opened up to burn everything off so I could pack it, I think it was running around 400 degrees, and we made 165 at about 5 minutes prior to turn in, which meant there was no time to rest it. So when I cut into it, the cheese flowed like Vesuvius!
One judge gave us all 9's, but others weren't so impressed:cry: We'll start 'em earlier next time.

Dessert...

Who knew it was gonna be 85 degrees??? When I was planning the dessert, I was figuring the temp was going to be a nice crisp autumn-like
day, not 85 degrees:eek: I made a triple layer key lime cheesecake. Bottom layer was key lime custard, the middle was key lime cheesecake, and the top was a sweetened sour cream. We figured the citrus would be a great end to all that meat!

So when we began to plate our dessert, and it was melting in front of us as my wife was trying to cut it up into serving sized pieces, we figured..oh hell we're farked! I will post pics later of all our turn in's but this one, we just didn't even think it was worth it. We actually did put 6 identifiable sqaures in the box, but my wife said by the time she got to the turn in table, they were more like 6 identifiable blobs, topped with freshly grated lime zest

Turns out, one of the judges afterward told us that apparently, the host had said other folks had similar issues, and the judges were instructed to take into account the weather and how it reacted with certain desserts.

Turns out we took third, although only the first place winners were announced for dessert and sausage.:mad:

We did more traditional key lime pie at Shannon, and it took sixth, so maybe we're on to something with this citrus thing...someone said at one of our earlier comps, "why can't they have dessert and sausage at every comp so we can at least do good in something?":lol:

Anyway, we had a great time, and I'm sure anyone who'se been there can attest to how it feels to get your very first call. I'd have been happy with a ribbon, but to get third was AWESOME!

I'll post pictures as soon as I can, still need to edit and resize 'em

I want to say thank you to everyone on this site, as well as those in person at the comps we've been in, who have helped us with a wealth of tips and information to help us improve our product, and been so supportive to everyone, from the first timer to the most experienced folks.
As I heard someone say this year, "I can tell you all my secrets, and it still doesn't mean you can produce the same result" There is no substitute for experience, and we've gotten a little better each time out. Finishing solidly in the middle of our last comp of the year is really better than we'd expected going into this! Especially considering the caliber of many of the great teams in the greater Chicago area, not to mention the whole of the midwest! You guys have all treated us like family, and we're VERY gratefull! My son, attending his first comp ever, was impressed by the comaraderie and lack of any sort of negativity during the cooking and awards ceremony. He told us everyone he said hello to welcomed him and offered him food. It truly is a "bretheren" I feel like most of the folks we've come to know are extended family.

This one will be our last for this year. We'll be judging (or table captaining) at Libertyville (tentatively, I guess we're just on the list for now) and look forward to seeing everyone again. In fact, we're thinking of coming out Friday night and saying hello to everyone if we can. Thanks to all also for indulging me here. Adrenaline makes me chatty!:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

Sorry for beating you to the top 10 lists. I just cut and paste from the KCBS site :rolleyes:

Congrats on your 3rd place pork! Nice job!

Your son stopped by our place and I did offer him some food :-D I was busy messing with something and we didn't talk for very long but it was nice to meet him. Hopefully you can stop by and say Hi at Libertyville.

How's the dog?

How's the dog?[/quote]

Thanks for asking Ron.

He's better, but still on an IV. We're hoping to bring him home tomorrow, but he was gasping and coughing alot when we saw him today

Here are some pictures that Ramona took at the Zoo.

Amy and me in our site (I have no idea what I was looking at.

zbq2008001.jpg

Me accepting our award for ribs...

ZBQ2008002.jpg

The top 10

ZBQ2008003.jpg

Left to right... Smokey Joel.Cubby Bear (Joel), KRE Smokers (Rebecca), Farm Boys BBQ, Scottie's girls with Theresa Lake in the background, Church of Swinetology, Porkrastinators (RGC, Scott and Seth), QU Smokin' Krewe (Animal), Iowa Smokey D's (Darren and Sherry), Dr. Porkenstein (Alex, red hat in back), Scottie (GC) and then me. I can't tell who is behind Scottie.

Congrats to everyone. This was a nice contest. I didn't get to socialize that much on Friday for various reasons, but I had a great time. In my opinion, my pork was the least likely to get a call, and it took 2nd. I thought my chicken was really good and it took 25th. Either I don't know jack, the judges are a crapshoot, or both :)

Nice job Scottie on back to back wins.

Sounds like a great time!

Ron--great pics.
Stoke&Smoke--great report.

Congrats to all.

TIM

Way to go guys!
Congratulations Ron, nice finish.
Papa, again you found your way up front. Proud of you, and great talking to you Saturday morning. (BTW, Joe's team won.)
Stoke, Feels great to be in front of everyone doesn't it? Congratulations on your first walk.
I wish I could have been there. Next year maybe.

WTG Scottie on that GC. You did good Ron. Congrats.
Congrats to all who got to walk.

Hey all, First off Congrats to Scottie, I was there and got a call on Pork it was exciting did ok in Sausage and Desset had I known i did not have to put it in the container I think I could have done better, oh well live/learn
It was fun weather was good I hope to see everyone back at Libertyville S&S hope we see you Friday and the dogs get better.

What a great weekend...weather was great & so was the company! Congrats to all that took a walk or 2! It was a pleasure meeting some of you for the first time, S & S we really enjoyed your wings & pasta salad, not to mention the apple pie in a bottle, I think I might need that recipe. Hope the dogs are on their way to recovery!

RonL 6th overall last week & 4th this week way to go! As always your coffee on Saturday AM did not disappoint!

Now if I can just figure out how to get all 4 categories into the top 10 on the same weekend...at least I have a goal for next year.

We had a very strange spot, behind Papa Hog and Farm Boys BBQ (with their massive fifth wheel toy hauler)

It's funny that you say that Ron, we were in the exact same position (right behind that huge toy hauler of Joe's) in Sparta. Actually, Farm Boy BBQ (also Joe) and I are from the same town, he's a good guy...usually has a cold bottle of gentleman jack:lol:

Congrats on the great showing, hope to meet you in Libertyville
Joe

Congrats to all who walked at this contest. It was my first time being involved in the actual contest cooking and such, and I must say it was a blast.

Great getting to know everyone from the site as well. I'd list em, but know I would forget one (or two), you know who you are.

Congrats Scottie on 2 in a row, that is impressive.

Jim

PS. Cap'n ROn, thanks for the coffee, it was great!

Back