THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Swine Spectator

is Blowin Smoke!
Name or Nickame
David
A long time ago I was one of those people who thought their pit was "seasoned" when it was actually just filthy. Fortunately, I found this site and got much more serious about my barbecue. Then I got a really nice pit.

I am determined to make my Shirley be my "forever" pit and that means taking good care of it. I always clean it out after each use.

Yesterday I had a free afternoon (which is rare) and the weather was awesome (also rare). However, the family was out and about and dinner was covered. I decided to give my Shirley a thorough cleaning.

I scoured the heat plate with a griddle scraper and then steel wool. I pressure washed the racks. Then I lit a hot fire. I sprayed the heat plate and rack with with PAM and ran the pit at 350°-375° for an hour and a half. Then I let it cool down and cleaned the outside thoroughly with Simple Green. I found a few very minor rust spots on the shelf and treated them with Locktite Rust Neutralizer.

Now my pit looks shiny and brand new. Good times.

David

When I first got my Harley it was the same way. Polish the pipes. Wipe down the leather. Scrape off the bug residue.

Then I got Zen. Saw Easy Rider. Rode to the 100th in Milwaukee. Learned an old biker lesson. Chrome don’t get ya home son.

I scrape, I empty grease, I shovel ash.
Seasoning prevents rust.

Smoke on.

Back