Zen and the Art of BBQ Pit Maintenance

Swine Spectator

is Blowin Smoke!
Name or Nickame
David
A long time ago I was one of those people who thought their pit was "seasoned" when it was actually just filthy. Fortunately, I found this site and got much more serious about my barbecue. Then I got a really nice pit.

I am determined to make my Shirley be my "forever" pit and that means taking good care of it. I always clean it out after each use.

Yesterday I had a free afternoon (which is rare) and the weather was awesome (also rare). However, the family was out and about and dinner was covered. I decided to give my Shirley a thorough cleaning.

I scoured the heat plate with a griddle scraper and then steel wool. I pressure washed the racks. Then I lit a hot fire. I sprayed the heat plate and rack with with PAM and ran the pit at 350°-375° for an hour and a half. Then I let it cool down and cleaned the outside thoroughly with Simple Green. I found a few very minor rust spots on the shelf and treated them with Locktite Rust Neutralizer.

Now my pit looks shiny and brand new. Good times.

David

When I first got my Harley it was the same way. Polish the pipes. Wipe down the leather. Scrape off the bug residue.

Then I got Zen. Saw Easy Rider. Rode to the 100th in Milwaukee. Learned an old biker lesson. Chrome don’t get ya home son.

I scrape, I empty grease, I shovel ash.
Seasoning prevents rust.

Smoke on.

Back