Your thoughts on paying 10 places (KCBS)?

I with some other folks here, in that I know what I am getting into before I send the entry fee in. Here in the Mid-Atlantic area, I am competing against some of the best teams out there. Aporkalypse Now, 3Eyz, 4:20, Chix, Swine and Bovine, Hawg Nation, Checkered Flag 500, etc...

I know I am up against a big hill to climb and the chance of me winning cash is slim when it pays out to only 5th place.

As we have competed in 8 comps now, we are getting better. We also only cook 1 brisket, usually only 1 butt, 2 racks of ribs, and 18-24 pieces of chick. So, that narrows our chances down even further.

But, also, competing against the BIG names, only cooking small amounts of food, forces us to do better!

It also nice to hear you name, and even nicer to get some cash (even $25.00) against all the odds.

wallace

Based on this conversation I went to look at the PNWBA rules about payouts and found this...

PRIZE MONEY
The Pacific Northwest BBQ Association does not procure prize money for events. You must have a
guaranteed source and amount of prize money 70 days prior to the event for us to proceed with
scheduling and advertising your event. The PNWBA will not continue to sanction the event without this
prize money guarantee.
Prize money at a standard full event cook ranges from $2,000 to $35,000 with the current average
settling at about $5,000. This total prize pool pays out each of the four categories to a minimum of 6th
place
, plus a Reserve Grand Champion and Grand Champion. For competitions with more than 30 teams
there is also a Reserve Champion (3rd place). Sample pay out schedules can be provided on request

Guess I gotta inquire with the BOD as to why a contest only paid top 3 in each category, or maybe this is one of those "loose" rules.

There are two different programs in the PNWBA, basic and inclusive. Under the basic program the numbers are only provided for guidance as we have no control on how the organizer sets the payout schedule, it is their money. Under the inclusive events we do have a formula we use to set payouts.
(BTW, I am a board member)

Great topic!.. My opinion has always been that top 10 teams should get called no matter what size or prize of the contest...(top 15 called over 75+/) regardless of payout. KCBS should give all organizers some type of ribbon, certificate, card, sticker etc. for the top 10 teams or at least the teams that finish top ten that don't get paid. That call can be all the difference in growing the sport and memberships. I Hope the KCBS board brings this (long
over due) topic up for discussion and a vote!! : )

Back