your first compition what went wrong

the door handle on our WSM broke on our first comp. the washer and nut fell in the fire. we had to use a pair of tongs wedged againts our other WSM to keep the door closed. Then we got a 2nd place call in brisket, and have been hooked ever since

I waited til the last minute to get my meats. Drove all over town trying to find some decent chicken thighs. Ended up buying cryovacced chicken thighs (goldkist?) at Sams. They were absolutely awful looking. The skin was so thick you'd need a road grader to scrape them adequatley. I did the best I could with them and tried poking the skin with toothpicks to help render the fat. No use. They looked ok, and had bite through skin, but when I bit into one the fatty skin over powered everything. Think I got 33/48. Saving grace was a 5th place walk in brisket, 11th ribs. Learned my lesson about prepping for a contest the hard way.:blabla:

write your time line down. Everything you need to do and when. Will help you not forget something when/if you get flustered. good luck. What is your team name and which contest. I will root for you. keith

I have started doing a time line and a list of every possible thing that I may need.
Our team name is Hillbilly Konk BBQ. will are shooting for the comp in Kettering/xenia Ohio the end of Sept. or the one in Nellsonville Ohio in Oct.
Bobby

I'm entering my third season so still learning a lot. But thinking back to our first year, a few things come to mind.

Our boxes look like crap, very messy.

We were very disorganized, lots of misc stuff laying around on our prep table.

Our prep table was too low, which killed our backs.

We had a hair in one of our boxes.

And we stressed out too much, we're doing this for fun after all.

Best if luck in your first comp, you'll be hooked!

Back