You Might Be One of the Brethren If…

If you drive behind a Q Joint to check out their smoker and wood pile before going in to eat. :thumb:

i7kwKOL.jpg

DgvOwHz.jpg

6ln78jB.jpg

I’ve had a few funny incidents/discussions lately that inspired this. I figured it would be fun to start a running list to see what we could come up with. I’m sure many of us can relate to some of these. That said…

You Might Be one of the Brethren If:

1)“Running low on charcoal” means anything less than five unopened bags in your garage

2)Someone asked you how much longer until the food was done and your response was “Not much longer, another couple of hours should do it”

3)2 or 3 half-empty rolls of aluminum foil are in your pantry at any given time

4)The digital thermometer you bought for your newborn? $25 at WalMart. The digital meat thermometer you bought? $80 a piece, and you own three of them.

5)You have a “good pair” and a “bad pair” of tongs, and nobody besides you knows how to properly use the “bad pair”

6)You have a specific shirt or two that you only wear when grilling

7)There is that one section of concrete near the pit that is always in desperate need of degreaser and a powerwashing

8 )You have ever received blank stares when talking about “stickburners”

9)You can immediately tell the difference between a first and second-degree burn

10)You have ever kept grilling in spite of a second-degree burn

11)There are at least three different grind sizes of black pepper in your spice rack right now

12)You have ever let a finished rack of ribs ride it out a little longer in the pit so you could have one last beer

13)You have taken three showers since your last pit session but you still smell a little like smoke

14)“Oh, I’m not gonna barbecue or anything…just gonna grill something up real quick”

15)You take pictures of everything you cook, on the off chance that one of them turns out good enough to enter a throwdown

16)You have ever been listening to music while ‘cueing and suddenly wondered “Ya know…I wonder what 16Adams would think about this particular song…” :laugh:

I might need to borrow this....

You do price check on meat while on vacation just for fun.

You help your friends research which new bbq they should buy, even though they didn't ask for help and aren't really even looking for a new bbq

(Maybe only California) you smell a wild fire and wonder what type of wood is that. I wonder how that would taste on whatever I have in my freezer right now.

When all your solo trips involve meeting up with Brethren.

When your wife picks the vacation spot and you still manage to meet up with Brethren. Met with Chip (mtbchip) and his wife in San Diego in 2018 and Marty (Stingerhook) in Pompano Beach last year.

One early morning during a big cook of butts / and briskets I ran over to the grocery store to grab some potatoes for later the young man that was working the register called for his manager half way through checking me out to notify the manager his concern for the very strong and sudden smell of smoke..... The manager and I had a good laugh and the lady behind me said I smelled delicious. :lol:

When living in Texas this was a normal thing, however I guess in south florida I am a bit of an oddball.

Back