You Might Be One of the Brethren If…

You can no longer go to chain restaurants and order bbq, only former competition cooks or microbreweries.

this is absolutely true, specially here in Italy where restaurants that serves BBQ are as rare as a white fly !
since I do BBQ, I'm not able to find out a restaurant that serves meat in an acceptable way...:roll:

When your wife asks if it's okay to go to Florida for a few days with her friend, and of course, I say sure, because I know that before her brake lights are out of sight, I am online ordering new rubs and sauces because I know they will arrive before she returns.

You might be one of the brethren if.....

On a hot summer day, temps close to 100, and while mowing, you come by that black chunk of steel, with its firebox cold, and you stop the mower, because you got a whiff, that wouldn't allow you to just pass on by. So you stop, inhale deeply, and smile, soaking up the memory of the last cook. Ahhhhh. A simple pleasure likely unknown by those not of the Brethren.

When you can justify burning 50lbs of wood for 2 tri-tips.

When your 6 year old daughter asks " can we go to the shop and build me my own smoker".

When your family asks you to cook for a dinner that you are not even invited to.

When you step outside inhale deeply and think to yourself I'm not cooking anything right now am I? Then you realize that it's just the smell from your cookers heating up in the sun.

When the food service manager at work ask if your sure you only want 80 pounds of lump this order? And lets you know he dropped off the case of CAB brisket you ordered in the snow between almond wood stack and the pear wood stack just south of the oak wood. (this was yesterday)

I’ve had a few funny incidents/discussions lately that inspired this. I figured it would be fun to start a running list to see what we could come up with. I’m sure many of us can relate to some of these. That said…

You Might Be one of the Brethren If:

1) “Running low on charcoal” means anything less than five unopened bags in your garage

2) Someone asked you how much longer until the food was done and your response was “Not much longer, another couple of hours should do it”

3) 2 or 3 half-empty rolls of aluminum foil are in your pantry at any given time

4) The digital thermometer you bought for your newborn? $25 at WalMart. The digital meat thermometer you bought? $80 a piece, and you own three of them.

5) You have a “good pair” and a “bad pair” of tongs, and nobody besides you knows how to properly use the “bad pair”

6) You have a specific shirt or two that you only wear when grilling

7) There is that one section of concrete near the pit that is always in desperate need of degreaser and a powerwashing

8 ) You have ever received blank stares when talking about “stickburners”

9) You can immediately tell the difference between a first and second-degree burn

10) You have ever kept grilling in spite of a second-degree burn

11) There are at least three different grind sizes of black pepper in your spice rack right now

12) You have ever let a finished rack of ribs ride it out a little longer in the pit so you could have one last beer

13) You have taken three showers since your last pit session but you still smell a little like smoke

14) “Oh, I’m not gonna barbecue or anything…just gonna grill something up real quick”

15) You take pictures of everything you cook, on the off chance that one of them turns out good enough to enter a throwdown

16) You have ever been listening to music while ‘cueing and suddenly wondered “Ya know…I wonder what 16Adams would think about this particular song…” :laugh:

Very true, especially #16. Had some classic 70’s album rock blasting this afternoon and was thinking to myself “16Adams would probably like this”

when your local and favourite butcher sends you a message "hey...I've something special for you!" and he means a 100days dry aged beef...

Back