THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

stan5677

Full Fledged Farker
I have narrowed down my next offset search to these smokers. The meadow creek I am not a fan of the cooking grates but I can get locally and save on shipping. I am torn on the other 3 this is my first step into the offset world.

LSG is above the other three in terms of quality. Lang is a reverse flow, not sure if Meadow Creek is or not, but I think it’s also reverse flow. So the first thing you need to decide is if you want reverse flow or tuning plates. Out of those choices I’d go Lang for reverse flow and LSG for tuning plates. Me personally, I’d buy a Shirley if I wanted reverse flow and I’d never buy a smoker with tuning plates.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Am considering C.A.P. out of West Virginia.

With shipping and standard stuff would be saving $1K and several months v. LSG or Shirley. Am looking for an insulated box with at least 8" wheels fwiw

I was able to get a Lang 36 used for cheap and I am still learning that little booger. I haven't had hands on experience with an LSG, but the LSG looks like it is a much higher quality compared to Lang.

LSG is above the other three in terms of quality. Lang is a reverse flow, not sure if Meadow Creek is or not, but I think it’s also reverse flow. So the first thing you need to decide is if you want reverse flow or tuning plates. Out of those choices I’d go Lang for reverse flow and LSG for tuning plates. Me personally, I’d buy a Shirley if I wanted reverse flow and I’d never buy a smoker with tuning plates.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
tuning plates have forever been an option, you don't have to use them.

Meadow Creek quality is very good. There is a local dealer near and I have looked at them quite a bit. Which model are you considering?

I have a Horizon 20” Classic. It’s a great smoker. Drafts well, holds heat well due to the 1/4” steel.

I’m a fan of the versatility that comes with the tuning plates personally. You can use them to equalize the temperature across the cook chamber. You can push the plate right up against the firebox side the plate gets really hot and you can cook with the radiant heat below. Or you can take it out and use the temperature differential to cook foods at different heats.

Back