Yellow Kettle Game Hens

JasonS

Knows what a fatty is.
Thanks to some friends from the Weber Kettle Club, I was able to secure this classic Weber Kettle. I believe it is from 1978. This is what it looked like, when I brought it home. A cooker for sure.

46141974114_b41b41e879_c.jpg

I scraped all of the interior crud out with a razor blade and steel wool. The exterior got a good cleaning too. Barkeepers Friend and steel wool, brought back some shine and removed quite a bit of the rustiness in the hairline cracks. The legs, ash pan, triangle and wheels are from other grills and are not what came with the yellow kettle. :mrgreen:

45952471995_871ec4a751_c.jpg

This is the original handle. I just sanded it down a bit and applied some clear stain. I will apply some spar varnish when I have time.

32991524808_ca89c6b428_c.jpg

I had plans to enter the Game Hen Throwdown so, I figured I would break in the new grill and try and get some pics too.

Oakridge BBQ “Smokey Chile Lime” was what I decided on. My good friend, robert-r, gave me a bit of this to try and I really enjoyed it, thanks Robert!

46814832812_cd7ec5c409_c.jpg

When these yellow kettles get hot, their color changes into an orange/peach colored hue. Hard to tell in the pic, but in person, it very noticeable. (heat/color change, is towards the back side of the grill) Pretty trippy…

45952462095_d751b5b95f_c.jpg

Almost done…

46866853031_8a7548c1a0_c.jpg

31925545057_66dbbfd925_c.jpg

Total cook time was about 40-minutes of indirect heat. I used about ¾ chimney of Weber briquettes.

We ate the birds right off of that plate, with nothing but a squeeze of the fresh lime! The skin was nice and crispy and the rub was very flavorful. Happy Happy

45952444285_c54f78bc7f_c.jpg

I hope you all enjoy the pics of this old kettle and the tiny birds lol!

Classic kettle looks awesome. Always kinda have an eye out for a restoration like that.

Love the chili lime from Oakridge. Been using it for fajitas lately. Your birds, that rub, and that old Weber are a great combo!

Good looking birds. Just got some oakridge chili lime this week. Excited about trying it out. Hoping to get some hens dusted up the same this weekend, but -11 right now. 9 degrees this weekend should be perfect grilling weather.

Good looking Weber. Didn’t know about them changing colors. That is very cool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's how I like my chicken, and that looks like my 1979, without the "A" on the vent, so 1978 sounds right.

Fellow Kettlehead here!

Great looking birds and a great looking kettle!

Here's my ~1965 Kettle on vacation a few years ago. It's semi retired now. I plan to form a new bottom inside the kettle as it's getting pretty thin and wobbly.

Last edited:
We ate the birds right off of that plate, with nothing but a squeeze of the fresh lime! The skin was nice and crispy and the rub was very flavorful. Happy Happy

45952444285_c54f78bc7f_c.jpg

Damn! That looks FANTASTIC!! :thumb: :thumb:

Awesome looking old kettle grill too!!

Fellow Kettlehead here!

Great looking birds and a great looking kettle!

Here's my ~1965 Kettle on vacation a few years ago. It's semi retired now. I plan to form a new bottom inside the kettle as it's getting pretty thin and wobbly.
It's been my observation that people reinforcing the bottom before it breaks find that works out better.

I reinforced around the legs a few years ago with some stainless that I formed and riveted in. Made a big difference, but now it's time for a major bottom job.
I have a plan that will replace the existing leg mounts, and all will be done from inside the kettle. The only part of the repair that will be visible from the outside will be the leg mounts themselves, which I'll have to paint to match the porcelain.

Back