Yellow Chicken Gravy- childhood memories

16Adams

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
While on the golf course my mind began to wander. Slow golf will have me back in time in no time. Chicken gravy. It was a thing of ours growing up. Always gave me a stomach ache, Dad too. Come to think of it chicken pot pie, chicken spaghetti about anything cooked with a fat yellow hen does that to me. Here’s the receipt the best I recall. Whole milk or cream. It was the old days. (Receipt-old days-get it??)

(Important:::::The secret was to Boil a fat yellow hen and let cool overnight in coldest part of fridge. Skim some of the hard yellow fat next day)

Ok here goes.

Equal parts chicken fat and flour. Chicken fat obtained from boiled yellow hen and refrigerated overnight. Fat skimmed from cool stock. Heat and Make a roux from cool chicken fat and flour. Mix in the cold chicken stock slowly and thicken with heavy cream if needed. Salt and pepper.

Rolaid please

Last edited:
When I was probable about 5 yrs old there was a restaurant in Amarillo called Myers Drumstick. The only thing I remember about it was a model train that ran around the whole restaurant and yellow gravy. Good times.

Back