Yahoo! The Meat Fairy has arrived!

jham0077

is one Smokin' Farker

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
jham0077
I work at a small, country grain elevator. This location is one of 31 owned by my employer. I've been here almost seven years. I'm a one-man-show for the most part. I get some help in the heat of the harvest, but not much.

I got a customer that told me back in May that they really appreciated what I do for them here and they would like to give me a 1/2 of a 1/2 of beef. All I had to do was pay processing, @ $0.48/lb, and a $13.75 fee of some kind. So I get to deal directly with the processor and select my cuts. I got all the traditional cuts that I could. Bone-in ribeyes, porterhouses, all the roast and a small brisket. But what I'm most excited about is the rack of ribs. It's about 5 bones wide, I think, and about 16 inches long. Big farking slab.

There's probably about 60+# of cuts and another 60+# of burger(80/20), 161.5 "on the rail" was the weight. $93.75 is what it cost me:biggrin1:. I'd get a pic but my phone aint cooperating for the posting(get a new one in a month).

And another great thing about this is the processor, if it comes from a cow or pig, they got it. And at very reasonable prices. The 22 mile round trip is well worth the savings. It's not far out of the way for the wife on her way home. Four bucks cheaper on ribeyes than the local meat market, $6 cheaper than the local grocery store:shock:.They dry age all their in house steaks 28 days and cut to order. "Green" hams, curing supplies, summer sausages, hot sticks. She said they've never heard of a butt without a bone in it:clap:. Finding this place feels like I hit the lottery.

Yup, always buy local if you can. You will save some good coin and the beef tastes, well, beefier for lack of a better term. That is a really nice hook up (and good price on hanging weight processing too). Fill up your deep freeze with a 1/4 and it will last you almost the year. Midwest baby. We don't have the seafood, but we've got the best beef, pork, lamb, etc.

We brought back 10# of shrimp from the beach last week:mrgreen:. I picked it up at the dock by the boat. On ice, in net bags of 5# each, @$5.50/lb. I broke em down in 1# in ziplocs and filled em with water, making shrimp ice cubes. Thats the only way to keep em from freezer burning(so I was told).

The meat market here is local stuff. But their only competition is the local grocery store. There's a Wally World 12 miles in every direction, but our shopping is limited here.

I'll grab my cooler and be there in an hour...

Seriously, I travel your way frequently and would be interested in learning of your processor.

Congrats on the meat, but more importantly congrats on the recognition of your work!

Come on down. They're open all through the week and till noon on Saturdays. Let me know when and I can give you more details.

The only bad thing I saw was a slab of BB that had been cut in half. She said they do that so they can vacuum seal them. I think a day or two's notice and they can probably have some whole BB.

Back