WSM vs. UDS

Here is my UDS.
SDC10462.jpg
SDC10459.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe this is one point that needs to be addressed but what kind of lid do you have. There is a huge difference in the taste of meat when i went from the regular flat lid to a weber. I havent had the flat lid for a long time, so the difference is hard to describe now, but one main concern is the puddling of the humidity on the top of the lid dropping onto meat. I do not get this with the weber lid since it all collects at the top then slides down the sides of the lid to the bottom of the drum.
kris

We like the flavor of the drippings hitting the coals as we grew up doing a lot of campfire cooks. Love thosr childhood tastes. However, I see some merit in having something like JD does to create a different flavor. We will give that a try and see what happens. Nice post and interesting opinions.

For a diffuser I use A grill skillet and put it right on my fire box, works for me

I'll throw in one more vote for a diffuser of some sort. Without one the taste to me was too smoky/burnt. The one I use is a cover to a 30 gal. drum with a lot of different sized holes drilled into it in a random pattern. Sits right on top of the charcoal basket which is 12" tall. Works great as some fat still hits the coals and some sizzles right on the pan. Temp control is easier and the temp is more even in the drum as an added bonus. I use a Weber top also so the condensate rolls to the edges of the drum rather than dripping on the food. In my WSM I do not use water. A foiled flower pot base in the water pan works well and the cleanup is far easier than with water. There is no greasy sloppy mess, just solids left from slowly vaporizing fat. All things considered, even though it uses more fuel and requires more tending my cheapo Silver Smoker off set is more fun to use and IMHO, the food coming off of it tastes better. Glad I have a choice as to which cooker to use when though.

Crue is right on...it doesn't matter what you use...just stop the juice from hittin' the coals...:cool: I have my drip pan/heat shield 15 inches from the top of the drum...or about 6 inches from the top of my fire basket.

With the pizza pan instead of the clay base, I can hit higher temps easier and get longer burn times.

I built a UDS for a friend, and he uses a water pan on the lower rack- about 6" below the meat. His stuff tastes great. It's certainly cheap enough to experiment with.

I keep reading the thread and noticing the comments about diffusers, removing the "pit" flavor.

I'm going to guess this "pit" flavor is a regional thing?

Until I built my first UDS I'd used all indirect smokers (ie: off-sets, reverse flows, etc) in recent history.
Now that I've used the UDS and shared some samples with my usual food testers they all say they prefer that "pit" or "flame broiled" flavor.

Interesting stuff...

I keep reading the thread and noticing the comments about diffusers, removing the "pit" flavor.

I'm going to guess this "pit" flavor is a regional thing?

Until I built my first UDS I'd used all indirect smokers (ie: off-sets, reverse flows, etc) in recent history.
Now that I've used the UDS and shared some samples with my usual food testers they all say they prefer that "pit" or "flame broiled" flavor.

Interesting stuff...

I wouldn't say it's a regional thing...more of a personal taste thing...but then again...ya never know...:cool:

I'm thinking you need more exhaust also. That doesnt seem to be enough and you may be getting stale smoke
That is a 2in exhaust, about 12in high. There are three 3/4 intakes, 1 is a ball valve. Should I have more exhaust?
So, to the folks who own both, WSM & UDS, if I put in a water pan it will be the same as a WSM? I'll be looking for a weber lid. Thanks.

I've got both and don't see any difference in flavor from one to the other. If'n I had to choose I would choose based on cost....that would then be the drum.

I may have missed it, but what fuel are you using? My first couple of cooks I didn't like the flavor. I switched from briquettes to lump and it made a world of difference.

That is a 2in exhaust, about 12in high. There are three 3/4 intakes, 1 is a ball valve. Should I have more exhaust?
So, to the folks who own both, WSM & UDS, if I put in a water pan it will be the same as a WSM? I'll be looking for a weber lid. Thanks.

Exhaust and intake are fine, for the rest I don't know.

I have both. Put a water pan in a UDS and you will get the same flavor as from a WSM. Conversely, take the pan out of a WSM and you will have a really pretty UDS!

Water pan is fine, but ditch the water. You just need something to diffuse the heat a bit. Get a perforated pizza pan from target, or just a plain old pan and put some holes in it so the drippings get through and don't flame up under your food. Dont worry about where to put it; just set it on top of your charcoal basket.

good luck!

Just wondering if the OP has experimented with a diffuser yet and if so what are the results?

Back