WSM vs BGE Type Smokers

I've used my WSM in +/- 20 deg this winter and in a stiff wind without issue (except that I can put a hurt on a load of charcoal). I did invest in something called the Pitmaster IQ110 from Amazon which is kind of a poor-man's version of the BBQ Guru. It's fantastic, and has done good work maintaining temps in all but the coldest weather. I had it going this weekend when it was about 55 out and I set it to 241 and I could've taken a nap at that point if I didn't have to help Mrs. Suburb Slicker clean house. It really is that easy. It struggled at 20 degrees though. I'd like to move up to a BGE someday, but #1 Mrs. Slicker won't let me buy yet another grill (especially an expensive one) and #2 If I'm going to put $1k into a grill, I think I want a better offset. I'm willing to put in the time to learn and use one -- something about the BGE or a pellet or whatever seems just too easy...

Wow! 21 posts and nobody has said "Build a UDS!".

I have a Bubba Keg and a WSM. I have to admit the WSM or the Kettle get used a lot more often than the Keg. Not that I don't like it, I just rarely have to deal with really cold temps when I'm cooking, and for whatever reason it just seems easier to use the Webers.

On the other hand if I were the type to grill 3-4 times per week, I would be using the Keg, just because I can load it with lump, get it cooking fast and snuff it out when finished with plenty of fuel for the next cook.

I have a question about ceramic cookers (never used one). Since they are so efficient and use little coal, does this mean that the meat gets less smoke as well? That is, it burns the wood chunks more slowly?

I have a question about ceramic cookers (never used one). Since they are so efficient and use little coal, does this mean that the meat gets less smoke as well? That is, it burns the wood chunks more slowly?

I can only comment on my Bubba Keg, but I have had no issues with smoke flavor. If you use large wood chunks and position them right, you should get plenty of smoke flavor. However, the smoke ring will usually not be as developed since there is a lower concentration of combustion gases due to the smaller fire.

There is a lot of info on John's site http://www.kamadoguru.com/ with lots of reply's to this type question. For me, I have an Acorn and UDS, loaned out a bullet smoker similar to the 18 WSM. I prefer the smoked over an open flame of the UDS vs the Acorn. Most state the Acorn is more efficient than any ceramic due to you don't have the ceramic to heat up. Like anything, they all produce a different end product and all are good. It's just what you prefer. I do pizza's on my Acorn, but prefer them on my UDS also. I modified the heck out of my Acorn to make it work better for me. I think the coldest temp I cooked in this year was 3 degs and I was using the UDS. The Acorn is very fuel skimpy but I didn't buy it for that. It works very well, I can maintain temps very easily, as far as more/less smoke I haven't found all that much difference. Except like mentioned cooked over an open flame taste I prefer. I'll probably end up selling my Acorn and building another UDS as I prefer the taste of the food, the required grate space and ease of clean up. But that's me.

This. I have been using my WSM all winter. No shield, no blanket with no problems with temp fluctuation whatsoever. I do have a Cajun bandit door, but my wsm seems to love the cold weather. It's almost easier to keep steady, albeit it uses charcoal about 30% faster.

Since they are so efficient and use little coal, does this mean that the meat gets less smoke as well?
Not at all. I've never had an issue getting as much or as little smoke on something as I wanted. And I get nice smoke rings on my food whether I'm cooking with a water pan in it or not.

Most state the Acorn is more efficient than any ceramic due to you don't have the ceramic to heat up.
LOL, that couldn't be further from the truth. Most people saying that are selling non-ceramic copies. I know there are some ceramic style knock-offs too which I know nothing about, but quality ceramics have both the thick shell and the thick firebox with an air layer between them. Besides the properties of ceramic alone, this design helps the efficiency not hinders it. How long the outside of the ceramic takes to heat up has zero effect on the cook itself. In fact the the outside taking so long to heat up is by design so that it isn't hemorrhaging heat; it actually speaks to how well the heat is actually retained/contained and why so much less fuel is needed.

I modified the heck out of my Acorn to make it work better for me.
...said no ceramic owner, ever. :p :wink: :tape:

Like anything, they all produce a different end product and all are good. It's just what you prefer.
:thumb: I concur.

Jack, all I can go by is on John's site there are many guys who have both ceramic's and the Acorn and state many times the Acorn uses less fuel period. And a few of the ceramic's did have to be fixed due to air leaks, problems with things not fitting or working. The manufactures have stepped up to fix things, but they are far from perfect.

The WSM works great when shielded from the wind for sure.

That is my experience with pretty much any cooker I have used. I seem to be able to handle cold or even rain but when the wind kicks up to more that 10-15 mph in can get to be a PITA pretty quick unless you can block the wind.

Hmmm... In actuality, how big a wind break is needed for a WSM. We're pretty much just talking about the lower vent level, aren't we? It should not effect the barrel or the lid (maybe the top vent). Shouldn't a wind break that is say a foot tall be good enough?

It's just less hassle in the winter to use the BGE as it's right outside the kitchen door!
I used our 22" WSM 2 weekends ago in a contest, but for "off the kitchen" cooking the BGE is more cost effective, and easier to deal with. And I can BBQ one day and do 800 degree pizza cooking the next. I love them both.

For que, I really prefer the flavor I get in the WSM but just don't feel like going down the stairs, taking it apart, loading it with coal, etc.

I can get multiple cooks on the egg with one load of charcoal.

I'll use the WSM's more in the summer!

Back