WSM Rescue League

HeSmellsLikeSmoke

somebody shut me the fark up.
Welp, I just joined the WSM Rescue League. :biggrin:

Was talking to fellow Rotarian at Wednesday's meeting and found that he had an old unused WSM that his wife bought him as a present 17 years ago in Chicago. He smoked everything that didn't move for a few weeks until she said that she "really didn't like smoked food":shock: , so he quit using it. It was stored outdoors and had blown all over the side of a hill below his house. Found everthing but the top grate, which would need to be replaced anyway.

It is in pretty rough shape, but for a FREE SCORE, has some real potential.
Needs a new door, and new grills and should be good to go. It seems to have pretty good sealing -- but we will see when we get some smoke going.

Poor thing has some signs of BB gun abuse on the cover. The enamel is chipped off in several places where the kids didn't miss.

I am giving it to my son, so I will send some pics when we get it back in shape and he has some meat going.

It has an "L: on the vent so was made in 1989 according to the info I found.

Determining The Age Of Your WSM
Originally posted: 07/01/2003
Last updated: 05/02/2007

You'll notice one or two letters stamped into the vent dampers of all Weber charcoal grills. This is a code that represents the year of manufacture. In 1979, Weber started using a single letter to denote the year; in 1994, they switched to a two-letter code. Codes were not used prior to 1979.
Here's the list of codes and their corresponding values:

A: 1979
B: 1980
C: 1981
D: 1982
E: 1983
F: 1984
G: 1985
H: 1986
J: 1987
K: 1988
L: 1989
M: 1990
N: 1991
O: 1992
P: 1993
EH: 1994
EO: 1995
ER: 1996
EI: 1997
EZ: 1998
EE: 1999
DD: 2000
DA: 2001
DU: 2002
DT: 2003
DH: 2004
DO: 2005
DR: 2006
DI: 2007

I think that Harbormaster has one older, but am interested in who else has an oldie but goodie?

Last edited:
Great find Jim! My rescued WSM's are young'ns DH, I do have a Red kettle with no date stamp though. Keep up the good work!
Brian

HSLS, Dude! That is a HUGE SCORE!
The only thing better than a free beer is a free WSM!
And an "L" is pretty darn old! Does it have wood handles?
If it does, they probably need a good sanding and some teak oil, or eBay sometimes has a guy selling custom oak handles. Carefully applied high temp gloss paint may also hide the BB dings.
Excellent!
You are correct, mine is a "B", and is the oldest known WSM in the world. Per Weber, officially the "C" is the oldest. It is not known how a "B" got out there.

HSLS, Dude! That is a HUGE SCORE!
The only thing better than a free beer is a free WSM!
And an "L" is pretty darn old! Does it have wood handles?
If it does, they probably need a good sanding and some teak oil, or eBay sometimes has a guy selling custom oak handles. Carefully applied high temp gloss paint may also hide the BB dings.
Excellent!
You are correct, mine is a "B", and is the oldest known WSM in the world. Per Weber, officially the "C" is the oldest. It is not known how a "B" got out there.

It has a wood handle alright. My son is a wood worker/builder so he will be able to do it justice. I can't wait to see some blue smoke coming out of it.

Good deal man. I'm glad for your good find, and I'm happy to here that poor WSM does not have to suffer the fate it has been for 17 years. :frown:

HSLS - I just re-read the WSM ribs from Hell thread. Looks like your son has a chance to show someone how REAL ribs get done!

HSLS - I just re-read the WSM ribs from Hell thread. Looks like your son has a chance to show someone how REAL ribs get done!

LOL yep!

He borrowed my WSM and did some BBs -- done to perfection the very first time for him -- he is sold, but couldn't afford (read talk the wife into) a new one, so this is going to be great for him. I just got off the phone with Weber and ordered the new grills and a door. Less than $50 and it should be in good working order.

He has already started talking about throwing a big party with both WSM's smoking and inviting the guy over. Won't have to say a word, I bet.

Nice score HSLS!

Harbor, I am curious, has Weber tried to get that from you?

Harbor, I am curious, has Weber tried to get that from you?

There is a guy that works for Weber that hangs out at the VWB site, and he is aware of this thing, but no, they haven't tried to get it. I would have thought they would be interested in it too. But you know what? It cooks to damn well to give to them

My inlaws(who throw nothing away ever) just gave me a cardboard box with a Weber advertisement from 1982. Inside: Weber One-touch charcoal cookbook, trays, a beef/pork roast holder, Weber Warranty & Information Card, Parts list, and charcoal holders. Still in the plastic holder and still in the box with the K-mart price tag. My father inlaw probly got this when he purchased his Weber.

I'm thinking of mailing in the warranty card just to see what happens.
Heres the address:

Weber
200 E. Daniels Road
Palatine, Illinois 60067

Anyone know if they are still there?

My inlaws(who throw nothing away ever) just gave me a cardboard box with a Weber advertisement from 1982. Inside: Weber One-touch charcoal cookbook, trays, a beef/pork roast holder, Weber Warranty & Information Card, Parts list, and charcoal holders. Still in the plastic holder and still in the box with the K-mart price tag. My father inlaw probly got this when he purchased his Weber.

I'm thinking of mailing in the warranty card just to see what happens.
Heres the address:

Weber
200 E. Daniels Road
Palatine, Illinois 60067

Anyone know if they are still there?

Weber-Stephen Products Co.
200 East Daniels Road
Palatine, IL 60067-6266

Anytime I've ordered parts from Weber they ask if I want to register my grill? Most of them are either UDS's or a Frankengasser that I've come up with.
Just finished the one on the left, a 3 burner Genesis w/cast iron grates.

100_1722.jpg

New igniter and some oak for the side table and the OL has something else to bit*h about cluttering up the deck!

Brian

Anytime I've ordered parts from Weber they ask if I want to register my grill? Most of them are either UDS's or a Frankengasser that I've come up with.
Just finished the one on the left, a 3 burner Genesis w/cast iron grates.

New igniter and some oak for the side table and the OL has something else to bit*h about cluttering up the deck!

Brian

Swamp... you amaze me!!! When my OL starts I just show her some of your posts:)

My WSM doesn't exactly qaulify as a rescue 'cause I did have to pay for it... but I just finished my first cook and I am impressed. I used Wally World ceramic dish over the water pan. It was a little temperamental but I will get it down.

Before we started to use spider netting to hold stuff down in our truck we had a lid to a bullet fly out on the freeway. Our second vehicle was about 500ft behind and just missed it as did a mom in a mini van. We were able to grab it and it still works great. It does have a little road rash but has a tight seal.

Back