WSM Minimal Smoke Ring Theory

Strange that you don't get a smoke ring using the WSM. I always get outstanding smoke rings with mine.

Smoke rings stop developing at about 160, so cold meat helps.

Not sure what you have going on Tony. Hope you figure it out.

Interesting.

The single changes I would make, per cook:

1-Cut the top vent to 50%.

2-Remove the water pan.

3-Replace top section w/ a kettle lid or, using foil, construct a false ceiling inside the top section, w/ some holes, to keep the smoke closer to the meat and slow down its exit.

Science!

I really dont think slowing the smoke down will solve this

with an offset the smoke does not linger, it moves through the smoker at a rapid pace and there is always a great smoke ring

Count me among those who have never had a problem getting a smoke ring on the WSM. Either the cooker is having a issue as Jason said or there is some other unaccounted variable besides the cooke that is causing this problem.

Shane Nasby, Wolf Candy BBQ, taught me to set up a WSM with one vent directly opposite the dome vent. When I'm ready to close the lower vents I completely close down the two on the same side as the dome vent and use the one opposite the dome vent to regulate the fire. This increases smoke circulation in the chamber.

Definitively right! But there is still too much dome !

Very strange, I consistently get good smoke rings on my WSM. I have a Cajun Bandit steel door, but have done nothing else to modify my smoker other than let it get good and gunked up.

Here's what I do:

- Put 3 chunks of hickory around the edge of the empty charcoal ring
- Dump in Kingsford Competition
- Put 3 more chunks of hickory around the edge of the now full charcoal ring
- Light a half chimney
- Go inside while the chimney is firing up, pull meat from the fridge, open cryopacks, give a quick trim, and rub
- Go outside, dump the now fully lit chimney into the center of the charcoal ring
- Assemble the WSM, all vents wide open
- Wait for the smoker to come up to temp, usually takes 20-30 minutes
- Scrape down the grates and put meat on the smoker
- Close down dampers when the temperature recovers (I usually cook 275-300F). Top damper wide open, usually 2 bottom completely closed and the 3rd cracked enough to hold whatever temp I'm targeting.

I run a dry water bowl also. This is typical of what I get with that setup:

Attachments

• brisket.jpg
    brisket.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 138
I noticed the same thing with my UDS. I used an COS exclusively before that, and it always gave a killer smoke ring. With the UDS, no matter how much wood I used it was always minor. The flavor was great, and you could taste the smoke, but..

I tried a few different things, but I found that adding a water pan made the difference. It was night and day. Also, throw a little celery salt in your rub to help kickstart the ring. The nitrates in it will help. I read somewhere that briquettes help promote a better smoke ring than lump, but I can't really speak to that for certain, I always use KBB.

I really think trapping the smoke around the meat is a bad idea. You may get a better smoke ring, but it could be at the cost of your food. I'd rather have the flavor than the look!

That's weird. I get great smoke rings with my WSM. Regardless of the type or brand of coal, too.

I typically toss some big chunks on top my coal right before I put the center section on. And just a foiled saucer in my water pan. No extra gaskets, top wide open, and my door looks like ****.

Wonder why mine is different. I'll be curious to see what you find.

This thread is really interesting. Me too have got less smoke ring smoking with 22 WSM.
I could believe in the idea that in WSM there is a super air circolation + most pronounced dom that staves off the smoke from the grate. Probably you have already read amazingribs's article down share

http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_technique/mythbusting_the_smoke_ring.html

Among other causes for no smoke ring there is strong air circulation.
Let us know the result of your experiment.
I'll do this myself asap.

Enrico, I had not seen that article. Good information. Thanks! :grin:

I'm no expert but I have this problem as well in my kamado and ECB. Always thought I was just doing something wrong due to my lack of experience. I'm going to cook a first brisket this weekend on the kamado with no water tray and see if that does it. I usually fill it with apple juice/bourbon and I was thinking that prevented the ring.

Shane Nasby, Wolf Candy BBQ, taught me to set up a WSM with one vent directly opposite the dome vent. When I'm ready to close the lower vents I completely close down the two on the same side as the dome vent and use the one opposite the dome vent to regulate the fire. This increases smoke circulation in the chamber.

Nice! :grin:

putting cold meat on the WSM will give you more "smoke ring". The longer the meat stays at a lower temp in the cook chamber the more smoke it should uptake.... so the theory goes

I have tried this as well, and when I did, I was able (at times) to get a very slight smoke ring. For my briskets, I like to put them on after they have set out for about 45 minutes, so the cold option puts a damper on my process... no pun intended! :grin:

Strange that you don't get a smoke ring using the WSM. I always get outstanding smoke rings with mine.

Smoke rings stop developing at about 160, so cold meat helps.

Not sure what you have going on Tony. Hope you figure it out.

Well, if nothing else, I will have a very tasty experiment! :grin:

Interesting.

The single changes I would make, per cook:

1-Cut the top vent to 50%.

2-Remove the water pan.

3-Replace top section w/ a kettle lid or, using foil, construct a false ceiling inside the top section, w/ some holes, to keep the smoke closer to the meat and slow down its exit.

Science!

Great approaches. But do you mean remove the water pan completely like cooking on a UDS or BDS? I have thought about doing that before but just haven't. Also, I like the kettle lid idea alot!

I really dont think slowing the smoke down will solve this

with an offset the smoke does not linger, it moves through the smoker at a rapid pace and there is always a great smoke ring

Yes, exactly, however in an offset, the meat is constantly enveloped in smoke as it passes through the cooking chamber. I submit that the smoke in the WSM is drafted out along the perimeter of the cooker, due to the water pan diffusing the smoke around the perimeter, and quickly up into the dome, where it is quickly released through the wide open vent. So, if you can imagine the meat on the cooking grates "surrounded" by smoke moving upward along the sides of the cooker, instead of being "enveloped" in smoke if there was nothing to diffuse the smoke around the sides.

Very strange, I consistently get good smoke rings on my WSM. I have a Cajun Bandit steel door, but have done nothing else to modify my smoker other than let it get good and gunked up.

Here's what I do:

- Put 3 chunks of hickory around the edge of the empty charcoal ring
- Dump in Kingsford Competition
- Put 3 more chunks of hickory around the edge of the now full charcoal ring
- Light a half chimney
- Go inside while the chimney is firing up, pull meat from the fridge, open cryopacks, give a quick trim, and rub
- Go outside, dump the now fully lit chimney into the center of the charcoal ring
- Assemble the WSM, all vents wide open
- Wait for the smoker to come up to temp, usually takes 20-30 minutes
- Scrape down the grates and put meat on the smoker
- Close down dampers when the temperature recovers (I usually cook 275-300F). Top damper wide open, usually 2 bottom completely closed and the 3rd cracked enough to hold whatever temp I'm targeting.

I run a dry water bowl also. This is typical of what I get with that setup:

Interesting. What is a Cajun Bandit Steel door?

Yes, exactly, however in an offset, the meat is constantly enveloped in smoke as it passes through the cooking chamber. I submit that the smoke in the WSM is drafted out along the perimeter of the cooker, due to the water pan diffusing the smoke around the perimeter, and quickly up into the dome, where it is quickly released through the wide open vent. So, if you can imagine the meat on the cooking grates "surrounded" by smoke moving upward along the sides of the cooker, instead of being "enveloped" in smoke if there was nothing to diffuse the smoke around the sides.

Just seems like there is an anomaly here we can't pinpoint. Your theory underlined above has trouble holding water since so many others just fire up their WSM without thinking about it and get a smoke ring. Definitely not trying to down play something you want to improve on, but the smoke travels the same in mine and everyone elses, unless yours has some weird manufacturers defect like a huge dent in the side we don't know about :becky:.

So I guess I'm saying it sounds like you might be focusing on trying to fix the area that isn't broke. Do you have any pics of the smoke ring you do get or pics of your setup?

Fwismoker, thanks for that. :grin: I can't help myself from overthinking this because it bugs me to no end. I too get beautiful smoke rings on my other cookers, but alas, the WSM dares to challenge me! :biggrin1:

So, as a big BBQ Sport fan, it behooves me to figure this out. I see picture after picture of meats cooked on the WSM and I am not the only one with this problem. This could be a slight design issue with the cooker, and if so, I'd like to find it so Weber can correct it.

Some people play down the glory of the smoke ring, but not me... I want it! I said this on another forum about the smoke ring regarding competitions...

"As far as the smoke ring not being judged, that is totally not true. One of the categories of judging is "Appearance". I know what the rules say, and I also know how subjective judging is. A beautiful smoke ring enhances the appearance, and makes the judges freakin' hawngry! Yes, you get points for that!"

So, it may not be important for some, but for me, it's huge. And when it comes to the WSM, it's my nemesis! :biggrin1:

I didn't say anything about competitions and SR....don't know about that, I'm just a backyard pit guy. I do know that my meat stays moist in all of my smokers and that's a prerequisite of SR formation...moisture needs to be present for the chemical reaction to happen.

I have no idea why my meat stays so dang moist in all of my cookers but i'll take it!:dancer:

I've never had an issue with the smoke ring on the WSM's. I will say it doesn't really concern me though. The taste of my Q is what's important to me and my family and friends. I've never had anyone say "that was great but would have been better with a more prominent smoke ring".

BTW, I'd LOVE to know how Weber responds to your ideas for a design improvement to the WSM.

Back