WSM Maiden Voyage

bandera is a hobby. drinkin a few brews and tending the fire is therapy and what makes Q'in fun. I use the WSM when I wanna make some q for dinner and dont want to be bothered.. to cold.. to rainy.. whatever.

Samichlaus said:
You have two rigs? What are the advantages/disadvantages of a WSM vs. a Bandera?

WSM
Pros: Holds it's temperature forever without needing fuel or adjustments.
Used by a lot of people in bbq competitions.

Cons: Very low capacity (one turkey). Charcoal only, so wood fires are out (in some areas wood is a LOT cheaper than charcoal)

Bandera
Pros: Large capacity, can use wood, charcoal or both as fuel. Hot spots are limited with proper mods.

Cons: Fuel hog, will need constant attention with wood fire due to small firebox.

Like what BBQchef33 said, the badera is a high maintenance hobby, while a WSM is more of a no brainer.

You can use wood chunks mixed into the charcoal - I get a nice smoke ring and good flavor mixing oak with Kingsford. However, I use small pieces and mix them well around the charcoal ring.

At competition I do one butt and brisket in the WSM (Tim does another each in the Studadera) and then prep the WSM for the chicken. We've been doing the ribs in the 'dera. For the chicken (depending on time) I'll let the WSM cruise until just before time to put the chicken on and add about 1/2 chimney of hot charcoal to jump start the heat.

I need to get a Brinkmann charcoal pan to replace my WSM water pan, too. The WSM pan is just too small for really long burns - and I cooked it at Plant City - real crusty and haven't gotten it totally cleaned out yet!! :D

The charcoal pan replacement for the WSM water pan, as advised at virtualweberbullet.com is Brinkmann part #114-0002-0 and is $13.95 plus shipping. I just ordered one from www.thebrinkmanncorp.com.

You may be able to find it locally if your stores carry Brinkmann spare parts. Make sure you get the charcoal pan instead of the Brinkmann water pan - the water pan is smaller diameter.

I found the Brinkman charcoal pans at WalMart for $4, cheaper than ordering from Brinkman.

Unfortunately, I've been looking for about 4 months and there are none avaiable locally -- Walmart, Lowes, etc. -- every place I've checked that carries Brinkmann. So, I ordered one! :D

Back