WSM comp cooks

I would stagger them so the ribs were foiled before loading the chicken. Even then, I put the chicken on the bottom rack so I could check the foiled ribs easier. The ribs would be out before the chicken was done so I simply removed the top rack at that point.

I should add, I now put ribs and chicken on separate WSMs because I found the temp would get too high after opening the lid frequently to check the ribs after foiling.

Benny

Last edited:
Nope. I cook one brisket, 2 butts, 4 racks of ribs and 16 chicken thighs for a KCBS comp. That is all I need for turn ins. Cooking too much makes for too many decisions to make at box building time.

I also cook just one. Partly because whole briskets is pricey! Partly because they take up alot of space on the grate. And partly because like you said I don't like having too tough of a decision to make. Not to mention I can spend all of my focus turning that one brisket into the best final product that I can.

I spend alot of time at the stores looking for the one brisket that I think will have the best chance of cooking up the way that I want it too. Not a perfect system but keeps a few dollars in my pocket.

Well, following that logic, it would seem 6 thighs, 1 rack and 1 butt would also eliminate the confusion of box building or decision making.

I do less thighs and ribs but add an additional brisket, causes me no problems in the decision making or box building process.

Well, following that logic, it would seem 6 thighs, 1 rack and 1 butt would also eliminate the confusion of box building or decision making.

I do less thighs and ribs but add an additional brisket, causes me no problems in the decision making or box building process.

Well for me personally, I need to put alot more focus into a brisket than I do the other three to get them right. I like two butts because it gives me two Money Muscles. Plus I buy them two to a pack and they both fit anyway. I like alot of thighs for the sake of uniformity. And I cook two slabs of ribs just because it doesn't cost that much, and one slab will almost always be noticeably better in my limited experience.

I use 2-18's. Brisket and pork on one of them and ribs on the other. I cook my chicken on a 22" kettle. Thats the way that works for me.

I could do less thighs, but I haven't really dialed in my chicken process as much as I would like. I can usually pick out 4-5 real quick and then I have a big selection to choose from there.

For ribs, I buy them in 2 packs. I have cooked just 3 when one rack was a runt, but 4 seems to work very well for me and one usually stands out as the best.

I cook 2 pork butts because I need that much meat. One butt won't cut it as I use the meat from two to build a very full box. Having the choice between 2 money muscles is a nice luxury.

And for brisket, I am very meticulous about how I slice it and it takes me a while to get through one. I cook very consistently and really just have to decide where the sweet spot is for slices. There has only been one time where a second brisket would have helped me as the one I had just wouldn't get tender, but overall it just isn't worth it for me to cook more than one.

I had been cooking on two 18's a 22, and a Cajun Bandit 22" kettle conversion.

Next season it will be two 18" and two 22" WSM's.

Mods include: Cajun Bandit stainless steel replacement doors on all, the HH "door prop mod" on the 18's, smaller diameter charcoal rings for the 22's, remote probe eyelets on all, a Cajun Bandit rotis ring for a Rib-O-Lator (chicken), all nestled in road cases with casters.

IMG_4358.jpg

Pork and Brisket on the 18's, Chicken and Ribs on the 22's.

PNWBA turn ins are Pork, Brisket, Chicken & Ribs on the hour, and I could get by with less.

Chern: For those doing chicken and ribs on the same WSM, are you putting one meat above the other? Staggering the times so that the ribs are done before putting on chicken? Or something else?

I have two 18"s and a 22" on the way. How much charcoal is usually consumed at a competition using this configuration?

That is way too little info to provide an answer. Which smoker are you using for the overnight cook? Are you even cooking overnight and at what temp? What charcoal are you using? As I stated, way too many variables for a cut and dry answer.
My suggestion is to practice and find out how everything works for your methods.

Benny

Mods include: Cajun Bandit stainless steel replacement doors on all, the HH "door prop mod" on the 18's, smaller diameter charcoal rings for the 22's, remote probe eyelets on all, a Cajun Bandit rotis ring for a Rib-O-Lator (chicken), all nestled in road cases with casters.

Out of curiosity, what door prop mod are you doing? I'm assuming it is not one where you drilled holes in the door and installed screws since you are using the SS doors.

Also, any chance we could see pictures of your road cases?

Erik

some valid points on all the combinations used. I think I'm leaning towards (2) 22"s

Just curious what the going number for used 18" wsm's, will be selling the 3 I have as well as a 2fan stoker draft system

some valid points on all the combinations used. I think I'm leaning towards (2) 22"s

Just curious what the going number for used 18" wsm's, will be selling the 3 I have as well as a 2fan stoker draft system

i will take the whole lot off your hands for 1300 pennies, no problem

I just sold two 18" WSM's and an SJP for $280.

You announced retirement three years ago!?!? Are you plotting a triumphant return of R2BQ featuring "boy wonder" (Vinnie). "Wonder" when he's coming out of retirement :heh:

Back