THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

"My thinking is also that since the hanging cooks are so much quicker there is no point in using such a wide charcoal basket, if a smaller one doesn't heat up so quickly"

I'm not sure of this. I go by the thought that it takes a certain number of lit coals to produce a certain temperature. Keep just that number alive and Bob's your uncle. If you want to use less charcoal because the cook does not last as long, I'd just make sure the basket is small enough to make sure that the coals touch enough for the burn to continue. But that should not have anything to do with a smaller not heating up as quickly. I might be off base - but that's my thoughts on it.

To clarify I meant that they heat up more quickly when the lid is open, because there is a wider surface of coals being exposed to the increased draft.

In any case, using a smaller basket for these quicker cooks is part of the logic pushing me towards a solution like the Hunsaker basket. Thanks for your comments!

How far is the grate from the coals on each size of wsm ?

I can only comment on the 22" WSM... it's roughly 18" from the top rack to the original coal ring.. 10" or so from the secondary grate above the water bowl.

Whoa that's way different from a drum.

That's by memory and may be my measurement with the Vortex, lol.

Here's something more specific:

http://virtualweberbullet.com/22wsm.html#specs

Top grate to charcoal grate to water pan is 9"... Water pan is 4.5" tall.. water pan to charcoal ring is 12".. so roughly 25" inches for the 22". The Hunsaker vortex is about 12" tall so that will cut down the clearance to 18".

To some extent, yes. But it's still direct heat coming the cover. I run the fire hotter to have a clean burn of the wood chunks. The cast iron pan just helps lower the grate temp since most of my rubs have sugar in them. If I go hot and fast, I remove the cast iron and do 325-350 if I am hanging something or going with a savory rub.

This sounds like an ideal solution to me for going waterless in the WSM - you get the sizzle and moisture vapour from the fat dripping onto the cast iron but without making any remaining coals un-reusable, while diffusing the direct heat for the meat on the grates.

I'm thinking of sticking the Lodge 17" pan on a grate that would go where the water pan usually does. Do you think it will impede airflow too much?

It looks like shipping a Vortex basket might be prohibitive, I'm waiting to hear back from Mark with a price or a weight so I can look for an affordable option.

Thanks again for your help, it seems we think alike!

Last edited:
The Big Green Egg has that huge deflector as well so airflow is not a big concern. The 17” may work on the 18.5” WSM but you’ll have hot edges in the 22”. I found a 20” pan on Amazon from Bayou Classic that works. I just had to grind off those pesky handles.

Back