THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SergeantSmoke

Got Wood.
Name or Nickame
Tim
I have been mulling over getting another smoker for a while now. I have lightly considered a stick burner but honestly it not in my budget but have narrowed it down to 3 choices after doing a lot of research. I would like to hear from people who own any combination of the equipment listed.

Since I already own a PBC I think the biggest question here is WSM 18 or 22. I won't completely rule out another PBC but I'd like something different with a little more capacity.

WSM 18 vs 22 really comes down to the capicity of the two. I subscribe to the thought that more capacity is always better.

To give you some background I often cook for friends and family. When life isn't hectic we have people over at least every other month and I often find myself cooking for 20+ adults/kids. This really pushes my PBC and weber kettle 22 to their limits as many are big eaters. Seldom do I not cook for the holidays, I am usually responsible for the turkey and ham or prime rib. The size of the groups has broughtme to this point.

Please give me some feedback on which direction you would go and why for a second unit given the three choices.

Last edited:
I have an 18" and 22" WSM. I bought the 18" (new) thinking between that and my kettles it seemed like enough capacity. It works and I could easily cook for 20+ depending on the meat choice. Since that point in time, I snagged an older 22" for $75 and enjoy using it over splitting cook over different cookers, unless I need different cook temps/styles.

I'd suggest getting whatever you can find used and try it for a bit: https://sacramento.craigslist.org/app/d/elk-grove-weber-smokey-mountain-cooker/6807042788.html

The main advantage of the WSM over the PBC is temp control. If you are happy with the cooking temps of the PBC, why change? You can almost buy 2 PBCs for the cost of a WSM 22. Have you looked to see if there are any of the $45 Barrel House cookers in your area?

Also, what is your budget, and are you open to other style cookers?

The main advantage of the WSM over the PBC is temp control. If you are happy with the cooking temps of the PBC, why change? You can almost buy 2 PBCs for the cost of a WSM 22. Have you looked to see if there are any of the $45 Barrel House cookers in your area?

Also, what is your budget, and are you open to other style cookers?

It's not that I am not happy with my PBC I just want more capacity then it offers. Honestly if it wasn't for the ease of using it I might have given up on BBQ. I know 2 Pit Barrels offers a lot capacity but still not as much as a WSM 22 or even an 18 depending on how and what you're cooking.

There are no Barrel House Cookers in my area at walmart. Honestly even at that price I wouldn't buy one even though the owners of PBC get a cut.

Unless you can recommend something in the same price range that isn't cheaply constructed and isn't a pellet smoker I don't see myself considering anything else. I like the small foot print these smokers have as well.

I have an 18" and 22" WSM. I bought the 18" (new) thinking between that and my kettles it seemed like enough capacity. It works and I could easily cook for 20+ depending on the meat choice. Since that point in time, I snagged an older 22" for $75 and enjoy using it over splitting cook over different cookers, unless I need different cook temps/styles.

I'd suggest getting whatever you can find used and try it for a bit: https://sacramento.craigslist.org/app/d/elk-grove-weber-smokey-mountain-cooker/6807042788.html

Thanks for the reply and the link. I have considered going the used route when the time comes.

A WSM plus a Gateway rack can do everything a PBC can do and a whole lot more. As you said, you're looking for capacity - which the 22" has over anything else in its price range.

My 18" is stowed for the winter while my 22" sits 4 feet from my back-deck slider alongside my kettle. It's my most versatile cooker.

I have both sizes of the WSM cookers and a PBC. As a matter of personal taste, I find the flavor of the fat dripping on the coals on the PBC to be overpowering, and rarely use it (except for poultry). I think you can get much more subtle flavors with the WSM. The 22" would be my recommendation hands down.

A WSM plus a Gateway rack can do everything a PBC can do and a whole lot more. As you said, you're looking for capacity - which the 22" has over anything else in its price range.

My 18" is stowed for the winter while my 22" sits 4 feet from my back-deck slider alongside my kettle. It's my most versatile cooker.

I forgot to mention the hanging rack addition when talking about the WSM. Some say that the final product is exactly the same as the PBC but very close and I am ok with that. I figure with all the hanging rack option coupled with the additional capcity of the 22 I would be set. Probably going that rout.

How does your 18 stack up capacity wise against agains a PBC?

It's not that I am not happy with my PBC I just want more capacity then it offers. Honestly if it wasn't for the ease of using it I might have given up on BBQ. I know 2 Pit Barrels offers a lot capacity but still not as much as a WSM 22 or even an 18 depending on how and what you're cooking.

There are no Barrel House Cookers in my area at walmart. Honestly even at that price I wouldn't buy one even though the owners of PBC get a cut.

Unless you can recommend something in the same price range that isn't cheaply constructed and isn't a pellet smoker I don't see myself considering anything else. I like the small foot print these smokers have as well.

Depending on your budget, sounds like you want a 22 WSM. I love mine and wouldn't trade it for anything. I have the hanging rack so it can do anything the PBC does really easy and you still have all the versatility and capacity that a 22 WSM offers. Love the fact I don't have to shoe horn in ribs or brisket.

I also have a pbc and I am about 90% sure I am gonna get me a 22 wsm . I like the option to be able to cook in different temp zones and the big one for me is the extra capacity .....

I used to have two 18" WSM's and one 14" one and sold all three. I kept the PBC and prefer to use it over the WSM's. I've never had the 22" WSM so I can't comment there.

No one else mentioned a UDS with a hanging kit.

I thought about it for a while and decided that I'd like to have something different to go with the PBC. Plus I'm not up for buidling one and the manufactured ones excluding the pbc and barrel house are a little out of my price range.

I have all three and can honestly say I use the PBC more. If you are looking to add another cooker it should be the 22" WSM. The PBC and WSM both put out competition quality food, but do produce different flavor profiles. The WSM is more versatile in my opinion, as you can always remove the water pan and use similarly to a UDS. Also gateway drum smokers sells a rib hanging rack that fits in the WSM like a glove. I have one and use it often. You can hang 10-12 racks in the 22" WSM.

Anyway I love both and will always have both. Just my two cents....

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I have a 22WSM that I picked up used, It's very versatile, with/without the water pan, one rack or two, hanging kit from gateway or on the racks, wings Hot or bacon cooler, I'll even grill hot and fast on it with just the lower part with a rack over the charcoal basket.it's essentially a two part UDC, with options.

I forgot to mention the hanging rack addition when talking about the WSM. Some say that the final product is exactly the same as the PBC but very close and I am ok with that. I figure with all the hanging rack option coupled with the additional capcity of the 22 I would be set. Probably going that rout.

How does your 18 stack up capacity wise against agains a PBC?

It's hard for me to say specifically. I've maxed out capacity on the 18" on numerous occasions (2 bone in pork shoulders - one per grate), but have yet to do so on the 22". When hanging, I think I can fit maybe 8 racks of ribs on the 18" comfortably, 12 racks should easily fit on the 22". When doing ribs traditionally on the 18", you have to get creative or cut the slabs in half. Not so with the 22".

Back