Wsm 18.5

I have found one on CL. Comes with cover 2 chimneys and 100#'s of Kingsford blue for 175.00. I think it is the old model it has a round knob on the silver cover instead of the handle. Does anyone know if this style has a thermo in the lid?

I don't believe it does.

I would doubt that it has the thermo on the lid. Mine is an older style....2004, and it does not. Not a big deal, as I use a turkey thermo inserted down thru the top vent and it works fine.

Through the vent on the lid?

You could do that or you could mount one of your choice at grate level or anywhere else on the sides with a proper drill bit. Ultimately you will probably want to use a digital pit probe of some sort.

You could do that or you could mount one of your choice at grate level or anywhere else on the sides with a proper drill bit. Ultimately you will probably want to use a digital pit probe of some sort.

I don't necessarily agree. I don't like using my wireless thermometers BUT I have had three faulty units. I DO LOVE the thermapen though :thumb:

Now for the used WSM: I would offer lower on the older model WSM since it does NOT have a thermometer, even though they can be wildly off lol. Just consider it a negotiating tactic. Also I paid $220 for my 18.5" WSM shipped so 175 for a smoker that is 3 years old doesn't sound like my kinda steal, I mean deal. :becky:

That being said, the smoker will run great and you will indeed find that you do NOT need an automatic temperature control system. THAT BEING SAID you will find that you want one anyways :becky: The only issue I have with my WSM is when I am doing a turkey because it is slightly difficult to keep the smoker over 300 degrees without doing any mods to allow for more airflow. Maybe I am just brain damaged, which is more than possible :doh:

Another thing to consider: Once you are in love with the WSM you will want a bigger one, which brings up the underlying issue: why buy a WSM when you can build a UDS from the get go? THAT BEING SAAAAAAAID, when I was looking for my first smoker I couldn't find a single drum without the dreaded liner which is why I went the WSM route. Now after building a UDS, and having the experience of using each, I would be completely satisfied with the UDS.

To recap: buy the used unit at a better price and love it :thumb: and/or build a UDS lol

I am going to build a UDS in the spring I have found a local place that has new drums with lids for $35.00. I am going to try to get the WSM for a little cheaper when I meet up with the guy on Saturday. Can't hurt to ask right :becky:. I figured it wasn't that bad of a price since I would get everything I need to use the the smoker.

I drilled a small hole right in the center of the rivit that the top vent rotates on and my turkey therm probe fits right down thru it. Vent still has all three holes open and rotates fine. I also use an 8" long turkey prob therm so that I get the tip of the therm down closer to the grate level. Works very well as I have checked its accuracy with a surface grate temp therm and they are right on with each other.

There are tons of simple safe mods to the WSM over on the Virtual Weber Bulliet fourm....chk them out if you have not already.

http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/index.html

Back