WSM 18.5 vs UDS

samfsu

is one Smokin' Farker
I have a wsm and I was wondering how much more food I can do on a uds? I can do 6 racks do bbb using rib racks on my wsm, how much more food can I do with a uds?

Well...the grates aren't the same size so I guess not the equal amount of food.....UDS holds more.
Also depends how many grates you have in the UDS and if you got a Weber lid or a flat lid.

I plan on putting two grates and a weber lid.mjust trying to decide if it is worthwhile to bio
D the uds

The grates in a UDS built from a 55 gallon drum are 22.5" diameter, so each shelf has about 120 sq inches more cooking space than an 18.5" diameter grate. That's significant.

I have a 22.5 WSM and just finished acquiring all of the parts to build my first UDS. I also have 2 extra drums that I picked up in a deal so eventually I'll probably have 3 UDS's. Everything is on hold at the present since I broke my leg at the anckle in 2 places last Saturday. OUCH ! :tsk: I say go for it and build the UDS regardless. You can never have enough grills and/or smokers. :thumb:

Thanks Ron so basically I'll have a 22.5"ER and the 18.5"ER ;)

Yeah- something like that!

100_1716.jpg

The grates in a UDS built from a 55 gallon drum are 22.5" diameter, so each shelf has about 120 sq inches more cooking space than an 18.5" diameter grate. That's significant.

Which is about 50% more cooking space!

Nice thing is you can also lay flat across the grate at least a couple of slabs of spareribs. No rib racks.

Damn Phu, that's like those Russian dolls that fit within one another.

Another thing to consider, the UDS are cool and tough looking. The WSM has a sort of sissy boy look.

Back