WSM – sand – clay pot – or water?

I used to run with water but hated the cleanup, and then I got a guru and the water seemed to make it wonky.

I switched over to sand covered with foil and now the temps lock in a lot better. Really like that setup.

Water here
From what I have read it not only works well to maintain a temp Ideal for low and slow but it also aids in smoke penetration

I've used water, sand and the clay pot base.

I'm using the clay pot base now. I've found no difference in the ability to maintain temps based on what's in the bowl. I can go low and slow or high and fast either way.

I'm going to fire mine up for the first time this weekend and try a fast brisket at the 300 method what is the easiest way to achieve this with a 18.5 WSM.

I'm going to fire mine up for the first time this weekend and try a fast brisket at the 300 method what is the easiest way to achieve this with a 18.5 WSM.

Just an empty foiled water pan, no water, clay saucer, sand, etc.

Start with more lit than you would on a typical minion start (I do a minion start even going to high heat so that I have a little more control achieving target temps).

If you're having trouble getting as hot as you'd like (shouldn't going to 300, but just in case) turn the door upside down and prop it open an inch or so and/or offset the lid a quarter inch or so to get some more air in.

Let us know how it goes!

Just an empty foiled water pan, no water, clay saucer, sand, etc.

Start with more lit than you would on a typical minion start (I do a minion start even going to high heat so that I have a little more control achieving target temps).

If you're having trouble getting as hot as you'd like (shouldn't going to 300, but just in case) turn the door upside down and prop it open an inch or so and/or offset the lid a quarter inch or so to get some more air in.

Let us know how it goes!

Exactly what he said. I'll do a full-ish flute in my weber chimney and pour over some unlits ala minion.

hate to be a loser but only been on here a couple of weeks and have only ever used homemade offset smokers but what the hell does minion mean, and what is the best way to start the fire just in a chimney or with parafin whatever they say in the instruction booklet

I'm a sand-man. Mostly because I hate the clean up. And I don't notice a differents.

I just used water in mine for the first time in a simulated comp cook, and I can't tell the difference between cooking dry or wet. I did it at JD's insistance, but even though it was at MY house on MY pits I relented. I survived and lived to cook another day, but for comps JD is the PB and he rolls with wet pans-so he gets to clean the farkin' things!!

I never used sand, tried the clay pot base, rolled with lava rocks foiled over for a spell, then cheapo pizza stones, now I have a pizza pan that fits neatly (and lightly) in each pan and I just put a sheet of foil over it to catch the drippings and toss it when I'm done cooking.

I accept the fact that I'm cheap and lazy when it comes to cooking on the WSM's, and I'm OK with that!

Water for low-n-slow...nothing for high heat...trust your pit bitch! :becky::twisted: The pans are porcelin enamel...I soak them overnight in hot soapy water and wipe them clean the next day...no problem...:cool:

Clay pot inside water pan wrapped in foil. Still easy to regulate temps and fixes the temp difference between the top and bottom cooking grates.

Back