THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The more I think about it the more I realize my worst mistake ever.. In 1997, I visited memphis in may. From then, I knew I wanted to get into this.. I waited 7 years before I finally did it. I shouldn't have waited that long.

• Thanks
Reactions: pat
After 10 years of doing this you get sort of an internal clock in year head. Our fist contest this year my clock was WAY off...missed chicken turn-in by 3 minutes. Always pay attention to the official clock and have someone help to keep you on track.

Relying too much on electronics to tell me when my bbq was done! Tossed 'em all in the trash and learned to cook by color and feel...with the exception of chicken...I stick every piece with my thermapen before turn in...:cool:

Relying too much on electronics to tell me when my bbq was done! Tossed 'em all in the trash and learned to cook by color and feel...with the exception of chicken...I stick every piece with my thermapen before turn in...:cool:

Chicken is the only meat I don't check. I know its perfect if I stick to the process. :biggrin1:

Speaking of sticking chicken. We left a toothpick in a thigh at our very first contest. Haven't used them since.

Chicken is the only meat I don't check. I know its perfect if I stick to the process. :biggrin1:

I'm very sure of my process as well...but the first time I don't temp my chicken Murphy will greet me along with the head judge...:mrgreen:

My worst contest mistake, now that I think about it (after a few bourbons), was judging... I started as a judge, and the day I sampled Gwatney's ribs (they GC'd that day; 1st place ribs; went on to GC Memphis In May) on-site I was hooked, but hooked BAD because I wanted to learn how to cook like THAT. It's a sickness... On two occasions I've possibly now cooked ribs close. Thankfully (as I look up) one of those was when I cooked for a dieing man who loved ribs. I made 6 racks for him, he ate 3 in that first sitting... The smile on his face is all the trophies I'll ever need. If I were to win MIM or The Royal tomorrow I'd value the achievement, but not value it as much as that one mans smile. My ribs didnt change his fate, but per his closest friends it made him very happy his last few days. I'd like to think those ribs made a little difference, for him.

My worst contest mistake, now that I think about it (after a few bourbons), was judging... I started as a judge, and the day I sampled Gwatney's ribs (they GC'd that day; 1st place ribs; went on to GC Memphis In May) on-site I was hooked, but hooked BAD because I wanted to learn how to cook like THAT. It's a sickness... On two occasions I've possibly now cooked ribs close. Thankfully (as I look up) one of those was when I cooked for a dieing man who loved ribs. I made 6 racks for him, he ate 3 in that first sitting... The smile on his face is all the trophies I'll ever need. If I were to win MIM or The Royal tomorrow I'd value the achievement, but not value it as much as that one mans smile. My ribs didnt change his fate, but per his closest friends it made him very happy his last few days. I'd like to think those ribs made a little difference, for him.

now THAT is what cooking damn good BBQ is all about !

American Royal 2011. Watching my teammate spritz our brisket turn in with Mr Clean. For the record, Mr Clean does not make a beef version, or a good spritz. Took the shine, literally, off an otherwise pretty good comp.

Matt

Back