WORLD'S Largest Pulled Pork Sandwich

JR Smokers (manufacturing) has graciously agreed to allow us to use their test kitchen in Mesquite Texas to cook the pork. They are the proud manufactures of the commercial smokers The Oyler Pit, The Little Red Smokehouse, Smokemaster Convection Oven.

Takes a big load off of my backside. Still need people to help with the cooking (adult beverage of YOUR choice) will be proviced and the pulling. This is a go and a real pain in the ???. Also, someone has to eat this sucker. ANY TAKERS???

Let me check my sched & with the boss... This sounds fun...

I don't have a commercial smoker or anything, just a lil electric smoker.

-Paul

So, what's the plan? I offered my WSM, the pork, and my time but I guess my cooker was too small. Now that they have a place in Mesquite to cook it all, what are we looking at?

How many people can fit in this test kitchen? Where is the meat being pulled. Where is the sandwich being built now that the cook has been moved to Mesquite?

Details, please.

CD

I spoke with the project coordinator today and need some help from my Brethrens. She asked me how many pounds of pork I can cook :confused:

I've smoked many briskets over the years in my offset but never pork. How many pounds of pork do you think I can smoke at one time? Here's a photo of it:

133638623.jpg

I spoke with the project coordinator today and need some help from my Brethrens. She asked me how many pounds of pork I can cook :confused:

I've smoked many briskets over the years in my offset but never pork. How many pounds of pork do you think I can smoke at one time? Here's a photo of it:

133638623.jpg

8 butts. If you add a half rack at the top rear, 3 more

I should add that even with a baffle, you need to rotate regular on the machine. Without a baffle I wouldn't go more than 4

Dan, I got the same question from the coordinator, and when I answered, I got no response. It seems they found someone to do the cooking, so no need to respond.

I'd love to help, but unless someone tells me what they would like me to do -- or where to do it, and when to do it -- there isn't much I can do.

Things like this are VERY hard to organize, and it kind of looks like they are finding this out the hard way. This thing is nine days away. I've organized some big events, and I'm worried for them.

I'll do what I can, but I don't know what that is.

CD

JR Smokers (manufacturing) has graciously agreed to allow us to use their test kitchen in Mesquite Texas to cook the pork. They are the proud manufactures of the commercial smokers The Oyler Pit, The Little Red Smokehouse, Smokemaster Convection Oven.

Takes a big load off of my backside. Still need people to help with the cooking (adult beverage of YOUR choice) will be proviced and the pulling. This is a go and a real pain in the ???. Also, someone has to eat this sucker. ANY TAKERS???

Mack, please clarify. Is the whole 2,000 lbs going to be cooked with JR Smokers equipment or are other smokers needed?

Sorry about the confusion. Did not find out until late yesterday that we would be able to use the kitchen at JR Manufacturing. What this means is:

All of the pork will be cooked at JR Manufacturing in either one or two batches. Will be meeting with them on Monday to see facility and make plans.

The cooking will occur on Friday afternoon for batch one and with batch two occuring afterwards and all cooking finished by 10 am Saturday.

This option satisfies HD requirement that cooking be inside four walls.

The first batch will be pulled and placed in sealed bags and hot stored after batch two is started.

Batch two will be pulled and placed in sealed bags and both batches will be transported to the walmart in Garland at 30 and Broadway for assembly of the sandwich sometime between noon and 4 pm. those specifics I don't have yet.

If the Oyler can handle the full 2,000 pounds at once, then there will not be a need for a first batch. All of the prepping and cooking will be done late Friday with the pulling Saturday morning.

Anyone have any experiece with the JR Smoker Oyler cooking large batches? Especially length of time to cook this much butt to pulling stage.

We will be needing help both Friday and Saturday prepping, pulling and eating

By the way, if you think this is complicated,, try transporting and handling the bun.
icon5.gif

"May you live in interesting times"
"May you come to the attention of those in authority"
"May you find what you are looking for"

Mack

What is the population of Garland, Texas?

6?

Garland has a quarter of a million people making it the 12th largest in Texas and 67th in the US. This is only the legal ones. If we were to consider illegal, then those numbers would probably change significantly. :boxing:

Well, the deed is started. We have over 2,000 pounds of pork cooking on JR Smokers in Mesquite, TX and it was a no brainer. A totally wood fired pit that only needed 4 split logs for the overning after a bed of coals was created.We'll be back there at 5am to check and unload done ones and continue cooking others.

We are cooking on two of their units and have about a 1,000 pounds on each.

Will start the "World's largert Pulled Pork Sandwich" build at 11 am tomorrow and start the service at 1:30. Come early, come hungry, come often and bring your cooler.

After this, I may not want to cook another pork butt this year.

For the numbers geeks:
slightly over 2,000 pounds of pork
27 cases of pork
216 pork butts
50 pounds of rub
2.5 hours of prep and load on cookers (4 people)

More will be added tomorrow as we pull and build.

Attachments

• 007-1.jpg
    007-1.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 135
  • 013-1.jpg
    013-1.jpg
    128.4 KB · Views: 135
  • 014-1.jpg
    014-1.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 136
Awesome! We want to do a thing on Grilling.com once ya'll PULL it off tomorrow. Hopefully someone will have some pics and maybe video?

I've been really curious about this bun from when I first read the title ....

The deed was done. 1,200 pounds of cooked pork and what we believe to be a new world record for a pulled pork sandwich. Ran out of covered space or we could have gone to 1,400 pounds. We fed a large section of Garland and also gave a bunch to a homeless shelter who stated they would be able to feed a lot more people because of the blessing. It was fun but I will not ever do it again!! Here are some pictures to include the health department inspectors who monitored most of the event.

Attachments

• 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 115
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 115
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 116
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 115
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 115
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 116
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 117
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 123
  • 15.jpg
    15.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 114
Had to use a knife to seperate it into smaller (3 pound) take homes, both horizontally and vertically. Could not get a bun that size because of limitations on commercial ovens so we used multiple 3 foot by 5 inch hogie or french type loaves but spread the meat in a continuous mat about 2 to 3 inches thick. You could not pickup one of the loaves without cutting them apart. Does it count? Not sure but the folks at MMA are the ones in contact with Guiness, I just cooked the meat and engineered and directed the assembly.

Garland has a quarter of a million people making it the 12th largest in Texas and 67th in the US. This is only the legal ones. If we were to consider illegal, then those numbers would probably change significantly. :boxing:

Garland, Texas is also the inspiration for Arlen, Texas, in the animated TV Show, King of the Hill.

Garland has everything from yuppie cookie cutter subdivisions to redneck trailer parks, to immigrant barrios. I don't go there, unless I have too. :shock::becky:

CD

Back