world food championship

OK, here's the deal. (We were actually in this thing, 17th though..ick)

The first round is a KCBS competitor's event contest that had 61 teams enter. It's ribs, pork, and brisket only - no chicken. KCBS scoring is used, and KCBS reps run the contest.

The top ten win nothing but bragging rights and advancement to round two. The results you see on the KCBS site are from this round only.

Round two is Anything But - 10 portions on 2 platters the event provides. The WFC "EAT" scoring system is used for the second round. Also, all teams are filmed...so you will see them sometime in Feb/Mar.

Round one and round two scores are combined, with 40% of round 1 and 60% of round 2 scores combined to determine the winner. If you finished low on day one (like Pitmaker did) you have to really hit it out of the park on day 2 to win it, so kudos to them. Ironically, for Anything But, they turned in chicken :becky:

The first place finisher of the combined round 1/ round 2 score (Pitmaker) goes on today to battle the winners of the other non-bbq categories.

I would like to give a special shout out to fellow NEBS team Insane Swine for finshing 4th overall in the combined scoring and RGC for round 1. :clap2:

Thank you for the explanation. Clears up a lot.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBQ
Oh yeah, and not that is truly BBQ but apparently the 1st place dessert winner opted out on cooking on Sunday due to religious beliefs. That bumped up 6th place into the final.....they won it all.

Congrats to Porky Mcbeef and the Cluckers!!

Congrats to my buddies George and Hugo from the Pitmakers!
Met them at The Jack couple of weeks ago...very cool guys!

The "anything butt" round was weighted heavier than the BBQ round at a BBQ contest.....well that makes perfect sense. I'm glad I declined my invitation.

I was in the finals and I can say that those anything butt plates were awesome, Those judges ate good in the second round. I thought tippy had it with his.

Pitmaker took Reserve Grand in the final cookoff between all catagories.....

Pitmaker, LLC

Pitmaker wins Reserve Grand Champion at the 2013 World Food Championships against the six other categories, and wins the Crowd Pleaser presentation category (best looking dish that you want to eat) with this Vegas inspired dish called "Rackin' N Rollin' Ribs"!! Yay BBQ! Stay tuned here for the great story on this amazing event, and tune in to the A & E station in early 2014, for the six episode TV show!

Attachments

• reserve grand.jpg
    reserve grand.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 173
It was anything butt the 3 meats we turned in the day before (ribs, pork, Brisket) but it had to be a single protein no sandwiches ect

Anything but = any single protein other than what you turned in the day before (ribs, pork, brisket).

We had a great time at this contest... finished 36 of 66... If given the opportunity would I do it again?... Probably. I can think of several ways the contest could be improved, and I'm sure it will be. This contest will only get bigger, especially with TV and more sponsors being involved.

To all the "glad I didn't compete in this one" guys out there... This isn't a standard contest, it isn't meant to be and won't ever be. It's a different twist, different rules, and honestly a nice change/challenge. It's a made for TV type event. Evidently it's not for everyone, but I would encourage teams to cook in this if given the opportunity.

Nordy

Anything but = any single protein other than what you turned in the day before (ribs, pork, brisket).

We had a great time at this contest... finished 36 of 66... If given the opportunity would I do it again?... Probably. I can think of several ways the contest could be improved, and I'm sure it will be. This contest will only get bigger, especially with TV and more sponsors being involved.

To all the "glad I didn't compete in this one" guys out there... This isn't a standard contest, it isn't meant to be and won't ever be. It's a different twist, different rules, and honestly a nice change/challenge. It's a made for TV type event. Evidently it's not for everyone, but I would encourage teams to cook in this if given the opportunity.

Nordy

I love my standard KCBS BBQ contests!! :clap2: this just ain't my kind of contest.

The other categories had second rounds with different challenges... for example, Round 2 for Bacon required their dish to include duck.

I don't think a "cooks choice" 2nd round is a bad thing for BBQ.

In the overall finals (called the Final Table... contest between each category winner)- BBQ could cook their choice of any of the 4 meats they previously had cooked... I'm assuming that rule was same for the other categories... they could cook any dish they had previously cooked.

Remember there are three rounds....
Category
Category Finals (Top 10)
Final table (winners of each category)

So for BBQ
Category - Ribs, pork, brisket
Category Finals - Any protein except ribs, pork shoulder, or brisket
Final Table - Any of the 4 previously cooked meats.

For Bacon
Category - Teams "Signature dish", and a casserole featuring bacon
Category Finals - Dish including duck and bacon
Final Table - One of the previously cooked dishes

Each category is a little different due to the nature of the category. But its a fair contest... just different.... Heck BBQ finished second at the Final Table... that's pretty darn good...

Nordy

I think that is correct Podge... and the Final Table winner is $50k also

However, I did find out that other categories received $1000 travel money and no entry fee (BBQ was a $300 entry fee). So... I guess that was our trade-off for higher pay-outs

I think that is correct Podge... and the Final Table winner is $50k also

However, I did find out that other categories received $1000 travel money and no entry fee (BBQ was a $300 entry fee). So... I guess that was our trade-off for higher pay-outs

I don't think that's a fair trade off. BBQ'ers had to cook 3 totally different meats, all take several hours. The equipment to bring down large smokers costs more to travel with than someone cooking bacon, etc. The higher payouts could easily be justified for cooking 3 times the categories, in my opinion. Hell, bacon is just one part of the pig, BBQ'ers had to cook 2 parts of the pig, and a part of a cow!..:doh:

Back