THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I bought French's one time because it was on sale and I was making a couple of gallons of Bloody Captain mix and I didn't like it. It seemed like it was sweeter than L&P.

(I didn't read all 6 pages but just chiming in here)

I bought two bottles of French on sale and only used them on Butts ( I used it in the injection). We agreed that it imparted a bitterness to the butts that was never there with Lea & Perrins. I actually threw out the second bottle and went back to L&P.

And now I dont even use worshy on butts anymore! :caked:

BTW, L&P used to make a thick Burger Booster sauce. I loved that in the burger mix. But I dont see it anymore. Bummer

Here it is in the 1 quart mason jar, filled to the brim. It was really thick, spicy and salty, so I added enough water to fill the 1 quart jar all the way up to the brim. It tastes just about right when I added this water--tasting good! Going in the fridge for 3 weeks then straining it. We'll see..

This stuff tastes pretty strong / concentrated! I might have to thin it down with vinegar and/or water after the 3 weeks in the fridge to compare it to L&P & the yucky Heinz.

2vsnldw.jpg

Oh by the way I added a star anise :)

Also the recipe calls for 1/4 cup concentrated tamarind.. I don't know what that means because I buy it by block of wet paste. I put 1/4 of the 16 oz block in the sauce. The rest of the 3/4 of the block I used for 3 quarts of the most flavorful tangy fruit juice one could ever drink :)
Hey you been in my frige again Gal???That Jar looks like mine.:wave::pop2:

Hey you been in my frige again Gal???That Jar looks like mine.:wave::pop2:

I have a jar of black jack in the fridge in the same jar.. now a photo of that'd freaky wouldn't it? lol. (well it used to be black jack, now mixed with 1/2 head country--btw it's almost orgasmic how good the two taste together! have you tried it yet?!)

Concentrated tamarind, is just been boiled down and filtered then jarred. I carry the Neeras brand at work. Its smooth and has the consistency of wheel bearing grease. Excellent for making Pad Thai, it dissolves completely in warm water.

No mention of Wizard's? Makes L&P and Heinz taste like battery acid. So good I sometimes take a swig from the bottle

worcestershire.jpg

Particularly excellent on grilled salmon

You're all going to think I'm crazy, but I subbed Equate brand for L and P one time and it was phenomenal!!! I wouldn't believe it either had I not done it. Just trust me on this one. Solo..... no,but in a recipe....WINNER!!!

I prefer to use the "gold standard " when it comes to condiments. Ketchup will always be Heinz, mayo I will always use hellmanns Worcestershire sauce will always be lea and perrins same goes for kikkoman soy sauce. Now I stick with these for recipes. I will use a variety of deli/spicy mustards on sandwiches etc. just when a recipe calls for it I use the brand name.

Try Wizard's once and you will never go back to L&P

I can see the point of Wizards and other vegetarian-friendly sauces. We cater for a couple of veggie family members at our BBQ get-togethers. They have a separate grill for corn, halloumi, veggie kebabs and so on.

But it's good to be able to share dipping sauces, and L&P Worcester Sauce as an ingredient makes them non-veggie. I use a sauce called Henderson's Relish, native to South Yorkshire where it has a fiercely loyal following. It's used as a condiment on meat pie and peas.

But it's very like Worcester Sauce, and makes an entirely acceptable substitute. Result: happy families!

Back