THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Badgoat

Knows what a fatty is.
Hey y'all,

I'm not sure if anyone here would have any 1st hand experience with the situation I am about to describe, but here goes. I am in the Navy and my next duty station is potentially going to be in Hawaii (island of Oahu, Pearl Harbor, COMSUBPAC).

I built myself a 120g RF smoker and I would be heart broken to leave her behind. (military has a weight limit on items that can be moved, anything over weight I would have to leave behind and place in storage). If I take the smoker with me my primary concern would be finding readily available wood on the island of Oahu.

Living here in Norfolk, VA it's easy. I hop on craigslist free section, find someone that needs a tree removed. I take my chainsaw over and voila...I have wood. Or, I have plenty of friends here that know my BBQ addiction and hook me up with downed fruit trees and what not.

Anyone have any suggestions/recommendations?

Thanks in advance!

V/R
Dale

Jamaican Allspice.

"To protect the pimenta trade, the plant was guarded against export from Jamaica. Many attempts at growing the pimenta from seeds were reported, but all failed. At one time, the plant was thought to grow nowhere except in Jamaica, where the plant was readily spread by birds. Experiments were then performed using the constituents of bird droppings; however, these were also totally unsuccessful. Eventually, passage through the avian gut, whether due to the acidity or the elevated temperature, was found to be essential for germinating the seeds. Today, pimenta is spread by birds in Tonga and Hawaii, where it has become naturalized on Kauaʻi and Maui."

I've ordered Hawaiian guava flavor wood from a guy that posted on some of the ceramic forums with the handle Guava Greg, here is a link to their COMPANY. They ship in a priority mail flat rate box. Guava is a fruit wood (think apple, cherry etc.) not a nut wood (like pecan, oak or hickory). I liked the guava on chicken and pork. I suppose you could order a box and give it a try.

I've ordered Hawaiian guava flavor wood from a guy that posted on some of the ceramic forums with the handle Guava Greg, here is a link to their COMPANY. They ship in a priority mail flat rate box. Guava is a fruit wood (think apple, cherry etc.) not a nut wood (like pecan, oak or hickory). I liked the guava on chicken and pork. I suppose you could order a box and give it a try.

awesome post...I am ordering a couple of boxes.

Hey y'all,

I'm not sure if anyone here would have any 1st hand experience with the situation I am about to describe, but here goes. I am in the Navy and my next duty station is potentially going to be in Hawaii (island of Oahu, Pearl Harbor, COMSUBPAC).

I built myself a 120g RF smoker and I would be heart broken to leave her behind. (military has a weight limit on items that can be moved, anything over weight I would have to leave behind and place in storage). If I take the smoker with me my primary concern would be finding readily available wood on the island of Oahu.

Living here in Norfolk, VA it's easy. I hop on craigslist free section, find someone that needs a tree removed. I take my chainsaw over and voila...I have wood. Or, I have plenty of friends here that know my BBQ addiction and hook me up with downed fruit trees and what not.

Anyone have any suggestions/recommendations?

Thanks in advance!

V/R
Dale

You a bubblehead?

Good luck in Hawaii, my kids PCS to Hawaii in July, AMEDD Tripler. They have no idea where they will live, Army won't assign housing until they arrive in Honolulu and since he is a NCO can't live at Tripler, as Tripler is officer housing only.

I was stationed there from 1987-2011, there's plenty of local wood available. As others have stated, there's Kiawe, guava, lemon, etc... You can also find all the woods you are used to on base at the garden shop. There's also Home Depot and Lowes on the island.

I was stationed there from 1987-2011, there's plenty of local wood available. As others have stated, there's Kiawe, guava, lemon, etc... You can also find all the woods you are used to on base at the garden shop. There's also Home Depot and Lowes on the island.

Stationed in Hawaii for 24 years must have been horrible. Who did you piss off? :p

I thought we had a couple members here that currently lived in Hawaii. Seem to remember one of them posting pictures when they ordered a LSG or Shirley...

Back