Wood ID

Looks like one of those fast growing Poplar varieties to me.
Check the growth rings. If it has only 3-4 that would be my bet. Also burn a piece. If it goes real fast and blows embers everywhere it is most likely from the poplar family.

I am dying to know...

Did we ever determine what kind it was, if not I think we can all agree my Walnut call was correct! :grin:

I still don't know. But, when I got it in full sunlight the bark very red. The exact same color as red potatos.

I burned a bunch of it to burn out my barrel and it didn't seem to have much smell. Also, one of the long branches was up against the side of the barrel and there was a lot of moisture bubbling on the side of the barrel where the wood was touching it. Does this mean it isnt seasoned yet?

B

I burned a bunch of it to burn out my barrel and it didn't seem to have much smell. Also, one of the long branches was up against the side of the barrel and there was a lot of moisture bubbling on the side of the barrel where the wood was touching it. Does this mean it isnt seasoned yet?

B[/quote]

Usually means it still has moisture in it! That much I do know. Did it pop and crack alot as you burned it?

I think so.. I had some other junk wood in with it though. I'll do a clean burn with it soon and see. Any other things to look for?
B

I think so.. I had some other junk wood in with it though. I'll do a clean burn with it soon and see. Any other things to look for?
B

That's my vast knowledge of wood...I cook with sawdust and most traditionalist say that is not real wood! 8)

It looks like a maple to me. One way I test out is to just burn one in the fire pit. I'm pretty picky about my wood. So if it's not a specific known fruit, hickory, maple, or oak, I don't use it. Fortunately in oHIo we have so much wood you can't run out if you want to.

Back