Without a Doubt The Most Over Rated BBQ Restaurant in America

I'm familiar with Whitt's, they are all around Middle Tennessee. Can't say they are my favorite either, but I would say they are better than Gibson's was. I used to like Bar-B-Cutie but got tired of getting cold meals at more than one of their restaurants.

I clicked on the link and read some of the things that people posted on yelp. The one I found most interesting was one where someone was complaining about the service and the lack of any effort on phils to resolve their concern. the owner then replies that they might actually do something if they gave a better revue. That is just low and dishonest.

Phil's a prick! He got kicked out of his previous location because of his inability to deal with people...and they kept complaining about his "smoke" until he was forced to leave. He seems to be doing well at his current location by the Sports Arena, but I won't step foot in there.

You guys are bumming me out about Memphis. BBQ & Blues are two of my favorite things. That along with some Jack Daniel's and we are talking nirvana.

Bummer.... :mmph:

Dequerre, is that Whitt's a chain? There's a Whitt's here and he cooks in a high capacity Fast Eddie. I'm pretty sure he wraps the meat in foil from the beginning or something, 'cause the meat is very white and there's no hint of smoke. Of course, you don't get much smoke on a Fast Eddie anyway. Otherwise, the meat was juicy and tender, and the sauce wasn't bad. It didn't suck! He had a "smoked" turkey sandwich that my wife liked, also. I don't know if "Buddy's" BBQ has made it out your way, but it's the best chain BBQ I've ever had. It's based here in Knoxville. BTW, I had Gus's chicken a month or so ago...yum!

I grew up on Buddy's! I haven't had that stuff in a couple decades but I sure do remember enjoying it. I got some good stuff at a place called Pup's Pit a while back on Northshore in Rocky Hill.

And Gus's - hell yes! To answer sdbbq - it's just flavorful juicy fried chicken cooked just right. Crispy skin, all that. Great fried green tomatoes too.

I have to agree with CD about Sonny Bryan's. I was very disappointed when we moved to Dallas with their products.

But none so much as Dickey's who is doing a great job of bastardizing que across the US and ruining the reputation of Texas BBQ.

This rib talk and methods of cooking which the public adores reminds me of funny story. A few years back I cooked the Best Dam BBQ Cook Off in Nevada. Great event, beautiful location. Well they also allow some vendors in for the public.

I was right across from this guy who had this raging fire going, he was wearing goggles and the long leather gloves because every now and then he would douse whatever he was using for fuel with lighter fluid. Black smoke would billow into the sky and you could smell the lighter fluid everywhere.

Anyway, he was taking ribs straight out of the case and literally flash frying them while stoking his fire with lighter fluid. The line for his product looked like Franklin BBQ on a UT football Saturday!

At the awards when the announced people choice, most popular vendor, it was him!

So, you just never know what the masses will eat.

I have to agree with CD about Sonny Bryan's. I was very disappointed when we moved to Dallas with their products.

But none so much as Dickey's who is doing a great job of bastardizing que across the US and ruining the reputation of Texas BBQ.

This rib talk and methods of cooking which the public adores reminds me of funny story. A few years back I cooked the Best Dam BBQ Cook Off in Nevada. Great event, beautiful location. Well they also allow some vendors in for the public.

I was right across from this guy who had this raging fire going, he was wearing goggles and the long leather gloves because every now and then he would douse whatever he was using for fuel with lighter fluid. Black smoke would billow into the sky and you could smell the lighter fluid everywhere.

Anyway, he was taking ribs straight out of the case and literally flash frying them while stoking his fire with lighter fluid. The line for his product looked like Franklin BBQ on a UT football Saturday!

At the awards when the announced people choice, most popular vendor, it was him!

So, you just never know what the masses will eat.

I love me some fireball with my ribs :mrgreen::mrgreen:

Back