Wine Barrel Smoker...this is kind of cool...

Why not cut a piece of aluminum or sheet metal to fit under the lid and flange an exhaust tube flanged on the inside. That would probably protect the under side of the lid from getting too hot. It would basically be like the lid on a metal drum at that point.

Well...

I've made one of these....

it does work.

but thank to the USD threads I've figured out a lot of things that need to be done in order for it to work.

So for those of you who have won a JACK Barrel or bought one...here's what I would do.

I would somehow line the bottom with a sheet of thick steal. (highly suggest round walls up about 24 inches in height to protect that bottom wood) I used a round concrete patio block that over time just broke and I needed to buy another one. (plus the patio block was heavy and made it even harder to move.

I would put wheels on the bottom.

I would make a UDS basket.

I would scrap the water pan idea...this only made my charcoal needed to be added to more often and just became a PITA as I couldn't easily refill my bottom pan.

I had 4 vent holes the bottom with just a round piece of sheet metal to slide over the holes to open or close.

I plugged the bunghole with a hunk of wood had carved to match it.

I made just one large hole in the top with a used stack from an other off set smoker I had.

I had a few issues...

I needed to run screws on each of the bands into the wood to hold the bands in place when I cut off the top.

I also had problems after about 2 years of the wood just drying out and creating cracks and warps that left 2 much air leaks and I could no longer control my temps without going insane.

I would suggest some type of sealer on the wood to prevent that from happening but what I really don't know....I know the sun beat it more than my smoking did.

in the short run...it works....in the long run (2+yrs) it didn't for me...

I'm now the proud owner of new issues (uds) and the rusting issues.. :)
POWDERCOATING here i come once I get my "drum down"

one other thing....

the very 1st smoke you do....

omg...the most insane tasting que I've ever had.

IMHO...if I could afford it I would be chopping up the barrels for the wood instead...the wine flavors just seemed to really get into my meat.

that or it was the 2 or 6 bottles of the wine that was made from MY barrel. ;)

one other thing....

the very 1st smoke you do....

omg...the most insane tasting que I've ever had.

IMHO...if I could afford it I would be chopping up the barrels for the wood instead...the wine flavors just seemed to really get into my meat.

that or it was the 2 or 6 bottles of the wine that was made from MY barrel. ;)

Any pron of that bad boy?

I figured it out. That's the bung hole.

I'm picking up two wine barrels tomorrow for $50.00. Will starting figuring stuff out, but this will have to be a Spring time project.

Larry, I love you! My wife was looking over my shoulder last night at your signature, listing all of your cookers, and commented "Maybe I shouldn't be so upset about five bbqs on my back porch, at least your not that guy!" And now you're going for a couple of more, that means I can get away with at least another one, thank you!

Larry, I love you! My wife was looking over my shoulder last night at your signature, listing all of your cookers, and commented "Maybe I shouldn't be so upset about five bbqs on my back porch, at least your not that guy!" And now you're going for a couple of more, that means I can get away with at least another one, thank you!

That's nice...show her my new signature line...

That is a really cool idea.........but in my opinion it's one bad flare up away from becoming a big ol wood chunk. I'd be wary of selling something like that just because of the liabilty if it caught fire on someone. That's a smoker I would never leave unattended.
It's a toy I wouldn't mind having, but the price is pretty steep.

Instead of thick, heavy liners, couldn't it be lined with plaster mesh and then use something like cement, or even adobe to line the inside with? Smoking temps wouldn't be high enough to do any serious damage to cement or even adobe liners. Adobe turns rock hard after it sets up and is used in many outdoor ovens for pizza and bread.

That is a really cool idea.........but in my opinion it's one bad flare up away from becoming a big ol wood chunk. I'd be wary of selling something like that just because of the liabilty if it caught fire on someone. That's a smoker I would never leave unattended.
It's a toy I wouldn't mind having, but the price is pretty steep.

Instead of thick, heavy liners, couldn't it be lined with plaster mesh and then use something like cement, or even adobe to line the inside with? Smoking temps wouldn't be high enough to do any serious damage to cement or even adobe liners. Adobe turns rock hard after it sets up and is used in many outdoor ovens for pizza and bread.

seems like a good idea....could work...
there should be plenty of room inside..

take a photo of my wooden barrel smoker and post it in the next week.

Larry and Pat, I don't think a good soaking after the smoke is going to help. Kitch is in Minn. so his lasted a bit longer then I would expect out here in flat/hot Sacramento and hot/hot Norco. The smoking isn't the problem I see it is the endless hours in the dry air that will dry up and shrink the oak. It looks cool, but I just don't think you will get much time cookin for the time you put in building. Just my two cents, good luck.

Larry and Pat, I don't think a good soaking after the smoke is going to help. Kitch is in Minn. so his lasted a bit longer then I would expect out here in flat/hot Sacramento and hot/hot Norco. The smoking isn't the problem I see it is the endless hours in the dry air that will dry up and shrink the oak. It looks cool, but I just don't think you will get much time cookin for the time you put in building. Just my two cents, good luck.

Wll geeze Jerry! Thanks for popping my bubble. I'll bet you enjoy telling small children there is no Santa Claus or Easter Bunny.

:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

Thanks Bubba, I just could not tell Larry that.
Sorry Larry, again it is just my thoughts and what I have seen with 5 barrels around my house and yard. Even the ones used as planters dried up over time. The one with the bung hole corked is one of two filled with water and they are fine. I just think it is to dry up here.

Last edited by a moderator:
one more thing...the piece where the bung hole was at...is the worst...

it cracked across the entire piece of wood just like yours.

Why not just keep it full of water in between cooks? That would keep it from drying out and minimize the probability of it catching fire and probably produce some very moist Q.

yeah you could transfer the water from the wine barrel to a metal drum then back after the smoke and change the water every six months or so to avoid bad stuff growing in it. I add a bit of bleach to mine barrels on the porch to avoid that bad stuff.

yeah you could transfer the water from the wine barrel to a metal drum then back after the smoke and change the water every six months or so to avoid bad stuff growing in it. I add a bit of bleach to mine barrels on the porch to avoid that bad stuff.

That sounds like a little more work than I want to do.

Your insights on invaluable. (sincere mod)

What if you let the barrel dry out until gaps started to form. Then, you grind down the rivets and losen the bands a few at a time. Then drive some self tapping screws into each stave where the band sits on it and as you move on to each stave you close the gaps and drive another screw into each stave. In the end, you close up all the gaps and the self tapping screws will hold the straps and staves as well as the whole barrel together. Lots of work, but sounds like it would work in theory anyway.
Did I make any sense?:-D

Back