wild boar, pork shoulder, and rib cook

Mrtodd777

Full Fledged Farker
I was planning on doing some wild boar this past weekend on the smoker and when i opened up the freezer there was a little store bought pork butt sitting right next to it. I decided to cook them side by side and compare the flavors.

Started with Chris Lilley's injection, rubbed them with my version of Memphis dust, and cranked up the heat to about 265. Cherry wood was the wood of the day.

Here's a shot of everything going in.

Ribs came off about 4 hours later. No foiling. I Think they could have come off a few minutes earlier but no complaints.

Lunch plate while the butt and hind quarter are moving right along.

And finally the end result. I didn't snap a pic of the butt before I pulled it but here's a pic of the boar leg before pulling. (you can tell I stole a bite right off the top)

Overall I was much more impressed with the wild pig. Much sweeter flavor, and it pulled into much larger chunks than the store bought piggy. Thanks for looking!

Now that's BBQ! God knows, I MISS TEXAS! I cannot wait to get back. I'm knocking down the first feral I see.

Good job brother.

We cook quite a few feral hogs every year. People always seem to ask what they taste like. I always just say, they taste like a real pig should taste like. The flavor to me is better, and more piggy. Not gamey, just piggy. I also say it depends on where the hog is from. We shoot a lot of mountain pigs, and they have a smoother flavor, which I think comes from the mast they eat vs the swamp pigs we shoot. We shot a bunch of pigs one year from a pecan and peanut farm. They tasted very nice as well.

We cook quite a few feral hogs every year. People always seem to ask what they taste like. I always just say, they taste like a real pig should taste like. The flavor to me is better, and more piggy. Not gamey, just piggy. I also say it depends on where the hog is from. We shoot a lot of mountain pigs, and they have a smoother flavor, which I think comes from the mast they eat vs the swamp pigs we shoot. We shot a bunch of pigs one year from a pecan and peanut farm. They tasted very nice as well.

Couldn't agree more.

When I'm back at the ranch, we take several of these down a year as well. Not only are they a dam pest, but they feed big groups of people when the family gets together. Win win.

These are typical of what we harvest in S. Texas. They don't typically have as much meat on the ribs as what you cooked.

Not bad. We can get some monsters just a few miles up 35, but a lot like that as well.

You ever hunt further north in Texas?

Occasionally, in the hill country near Tarpley. Sometimes we get a few black and white spotted pigs and those are much meatier. I think they haven't been feral as long as the black ones. They are closer to domestic.

Occasionally, in the hill country near Tarpley. Sometimes we get a few black and white spotted pigs and those are much meatier. I think they haven't been feral as long as the black ones. They are closer to domestic.

Yea, I think you're right.

Nice, I hunt a little further north than that, but that's a good area. Those suckers are all over.

I've been looking forward to your cook Mrtodd... looks fantastic!

Back