wife is trying to push me into competing

Rusty Kettle

Babbling Farker
Name or Nickame
Hey you with the face!
So my wife is trying to push me into competing. Never thought I would say that. Tried to say no... But she made me promise to think about it. So now I am thinking about it... On one hand I loved the amateur comps a lot and would love to finally go and compete pro. On the other hand its expensive. I backed away from it last year after one amateur comp so that we could replace my worn out Oldsmobile. That car had no heat in it last winter. Kind of loving the heat in the New to us minivan. Its got stow and go seating :) perfect for loading smokers and supplies. Probably could throw an air mattress in the back and sleep in the van or at least my wife can sleep in the van.

I guess first thing I got to do is price out our supplies. Then get a practice schedule up and running with a timeline. Explain it all to the wife to see if she knows what she just said. I think she understands the cost but still I guess I am on the fence because of well the accident we had a few years back with going to the Shade Tree a few years back. Nothing worse than breaking down outside of Columbus and having no way to fix a car myself. Especially since it was $700 in repairs just to get It in shape to limp home. Parts were under $300 for sure and that is being generous. Still had to repair damage when I got home. Not really wanting to have a repeat. We had to sleep in the waiting area at an impound yard to wait for the shops to open in the morning. It was a rough night.

I am on the fence and yeah my wife is right we are in a much Better position now with my college bills paid off and The credit cards will all be paid off within the next couple of months. Paying off a lot of bills as of late so we are freeing up a lot of cash.

I don't know whether I should compete or not. I know I want to.

So my plan is simple
Price out my supplies and misc expenses
Explain every dollar needed to compete and practice so she understands the finances and the commitment.
If she still thinks it's a good idea...
Practice like crazy every free weekend
Pick up roadside assistance service
Go compete once. She says we can do 3 but I think 1 would be alright by me for this year.

Do you think this sounds like a good way to approach this to decide whether to compete or not?

If we do probably going to bring a 22.5" wsm and a 14.5" wsm. Probably bringing a drum if we finish the build this year. Maybe throw a kettle in to.

So yeah I am undecided.

Any advice?

No advice, but thank you for giving me a fun thread to follow this weekend

:clap:

Your welcome. Lol. I think my wife is being a bit unrealistic but I would love to be unrealistic. Probably not wise to ask people addicted to comp bbq what to do. I promised I would think about It though. Besides you know you miss me. :caked:

Just an idea - have the wife participate in the practice - and do it at a friends place. No going home to grab stuff if you forgot, and no sleeping on the couch. Treat it like a full competition. We were brand new to competition last year - and did this as a practice. Made us decide to only do 1 competition instead of the 3 we were looking at.

One other practical thing - maybe save up an emergency fund just for traveling. I have a "baby" emergency fund of $1,000.00 set aside currently. Working to grow that - but it makes traveling a bit easier.

beatdown.gif

Jump on in, we've missed you. Besides, gotta keep the wife happy.

Yeah I want to. We all know some how I am trying to convince myself this is a good idea. Besides its only one competition. I am not committing to a big schedule. More like a nice vacation. :)

How you can tell their real southerns in that image is they forgot the TP! First mistake is to forget to get the TP! Got to wipe you know. :)

Your welcome. Lol. I think my wife is being a bit unrealistic but I would love to be unrealistic. Probably not wise to ask people addicted to comp bbq what to do. I promised I would think about It though. Besides you know you miss me. :caked:

There's nothing realistic about bbq competitions. We are all crazy! Good luck out there brother.

Now that your credit cards are paid off, run them up with BBQ stuff! You will be able to pay them off with the winnings!

If you want to compete, compete. Select comps nearest to your home. Don't over think it.

My first question is did joeraz pay you to write this post? :tape:

Then, if you do want to compete, you should post a lot of questions here...it's great when tduffy chimes in :popcorn:

Competing is about having fun....just you posting about competing can be fun for many of us....best of luck no matter what you decide!

Jump in Rusty the water is fine!

On a serious note don't ever put your family finances in danger for competition bbq. :mod:

I look forward to the onslaught of questions you'll have getting into the pro side. :razz:

Back