why the popularity of the horizontal smoker

I haven't read this whole thread but Horizontals are pretty much what started all of this. I guess it shouldn't surprise anyone that Horizontal are so common place! Mac

On our horizontal offset, a 20" X 44" cook chamber Horizon RD Special, the manufacturer included a grilling grate in the fire box. While smoking briskets and/or butts, it is nice to be able to just open the top-side access door and toss a few steaks on a sizzling grill. The short periods of having that door open really don't affect the ongoing process in the cook chamber and makes for some truly delicious steaks to hold the chefs :) over while the other stuff cooks.

And besides, I think there's some kind of a law in Oklahoma that anyone cooking up barbecue has to own at least one horizontal offset. Pretty much the same thing in Texas, but their law is enforced by the state Rail Road Commission.

Size really... not many people can smoke a whole hog in a vertical cooker. Looking at what Smitty just posted none of those cookers would be capable of doing a whole hog, and likely not even a suckling pig without some issues.

So long as you can cook one split. If the only option to cook, not smoke, a whole was racer-style, I would never cook a whole hog.

But that's just me.

• Thanks
Reactions: EdF
so i guess the conclusion is that horizontal offset smokers are popular because horizontal offset smokers are popular?

not really any advantage just what a lot of people are used to.

so i guess the conclusion is that horizontal offset smokers are popular because horizontal offset smokers are popular?

not really any advantage just what a lot of people are used to.
It's a Texas thing......you should have known that!:thumb:

Originally Posted by SmoothBoarBBQ View Post
Size really... not many people can smoke a whole hog in a vertical cooker. Looking at what Smitty just posted none of those cookers would be capable of doing a whole hog, and likely not even a suckling pig without some issues.

Having a smoker just so I can do a whole hog- even if I never have plans to smoke a whole hog is sort of like having a 18 wheeler in my driveway in case I ever want to run a load of bootleg Coors from Texarkana to Atlanta.

It's a Texas thing......you should have known that!:thumb:

shame on me lol :biggrin1:

Having a smoker just so I can do a whole hog- even if I never have plans to smoke a whole hog is sort of like having a 18 wheeler in my driveway in case I ever want to run a load of bootleg Coors from Texarkana to Atlanta.

well said but i guess its a regional thing. some places thats how they cook bbq, but they mostly use cheap cinderblock pits and not offset smokers.

Back