Why should I get a Thermapen?

You're going at this all wrong. Try this on for size: "Honey I just learned how I can save money (no more wasted BBQ) and keep you and our guests safer (no more undercooked pork). This YELLOW thermopen will do the trick. But then again you'll have to work on your excuses for imperfect Q.

I debated about it for a few months.. I also have a ET732 that I love. I use it for all my low and slow on weekends, but found my cheap BGE digital was all over the place when I was trying to reverse sear steaks, chops, or chicken. I tend to grill foods during the week like these, and it has made a big difference in my confidence in what is done. I did some chicken the other day, and got my temp to where I wanted with thermapen, and then reversed seared the meat. Then moved the meat to indirect, and rechecked the temp, and it was still not done. I would have pulled the meat just by eye balling it, and served under cooked chicken..but with the thermapen I could knew it needed more time. It turned out great. I may be doing it wrong, but I usually get my meat to within 10 degrees of done on indirect, and then sear over direct for 2 min, then recheck temp.

Back