THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

After looking at the picture again , those caster are cheap looking, looks like a 10cent caster on a 700 dollar smoker.

Oh that's going to leave a mark!

No matter how it happened it's a shame, that's a lotta jack down the drain. If the wheel did have a crack and the unit looks new I'd ask the factory if they could help with replacement costs, if you don't ask you'll never get an answer, good or bad.:thumb:

I honestly believe there is a market for ceramic grill "nests" that are more attractive, mobile, and stable than the one single design that BGE provides.

It would seem that someone with metal fab skills could design and build these and there are more than a few people here who would gladly buy them, myself included.

Instead of a nest, building (or buying) a table is probably the best option. Much more stable. I put casters on the bottom of my table, so I can move it if I need to.

I don't know why anyone bothers with the nest- they seem so likely to tip over.

I own two Large BGE and a small. I don't move the Larges more than a few inches at a time, if I move them at all. Well, I did move them across the patio a couple of times, but very, very carefully. They are fragile, but they are great cookers. I hate to see that one broken.

I also own a BSK. I move it regularly. It cost less and cooks as well as the Egg (as far as I can tell so far). It has better wheels, two standard cooking grates, standard side shelves and a cover included in the price. For a bit more, one can purchase a tailgate adapter and carry it on a trailer hitch. I love mine.

If you don't want a BGE, you might want to consider the Keg. OF COURSE, you mentioned you have Webers, so you're probably set anyway :)

My UDS LIKES when I knock it over in a drunken stupor...kidding only, feel bad for your buddy, that would be like a punch in the gut, and my wife would be pi$$ed!

Careful with the egg comments, the eggheads are rabid. :)

Im seeing this lol~!

Makes about as much sense as saying I won’t buy a Mercedes because someone might crash into it. And I’m happy with my Weber because it’s a good cooker, not because the egg sitting next to it might break if I drop it :confused:

Well put it this way I think that weber's are way more versatile. I can put several bullets through my weber then kick it over, prop it back up and then start cooking on it. I am not knocking BGE's I just think that they're too fragile for their price. Its all personal opinion at this point. And your Mercedes analogy is poo.

For all of us BGE owners- that is a heart wrenching photo!!
S**t happens and I hope your friend handles it better than I would.

He handled it pretty well. It was not his Egg it was the companies. They will be getting it fixed/repaired, and buying him his own egg next week.

You probably shouldn't buy scissors either because you might be tempted to run with them.

Hey thanks for the nice comment. Its great for you to make a comment towards me when you dont even know me.

Think he wants to sell that huge bag of lump in the picture???

Lol~! I think that he is going to hold on to it~!

I own two Large BGE and a small. I don't move the Larges more than a few inches at a time, if I move them at all. Well, I did move them across the patio a couple of times, but very, very carefully. They are fragile, but they are great cookers. I hate to see that one broken.

I also own a BSK. I move it regularly. It cost less and cooks as well as the Egg (as far as I can tell so far). It has better wheels, two standard cooking grates, standard side shelves and a cover included in the price. For a bit more, one can purchase a tailgate adapter and carry it on a trailer hitch. I love mine.

If you don't want a BGE, you might want to consider the Keg. OF COURSE, you mentioned you have Webers, so you're probably set anyway :)

Yeah I am set with my Webers. I do agree that the Egg's are great cookers. But personally if I was goin to spend that ammount of money I would get a Weber Ranch Kettle.

- G

Hey thanks for the nice comment. Its great for you to make a comment towards me when you dont even know me.
That was a completely tongue in cheek comment. Please accept my apologies if you took offense.

That was a completely tongue in cheek comment. Please accept my apologies if you took offense.

No worries~!! Lol, this thread had gotten a little crazy. The Mercedes comment is the one that got me a little irritated. I see that this thread has turned into a Weber Vs. BGE thread. . .

- G

No worries~!! Lol, this thread had gotten a little crazy. The Mercedes comment is the one that got me a little irritated. I see that this thread has turned into a Weber Vs. BGE thread. . .

- G

Yeah, let's get back on topic here...

Just because you have a buddy who lacks common sense, doesn't mean you should completely rule out buying a BGE :laugh:

- G

Not for me...I also have two WSMs and a Weber Kettle. I'll be using almost all my backyard cookers this weekend. Equal love. :becky:

He is getting one as a gift and I warned him to not knock it over. The BGE is a great BBQ, but This is why I am happy with my Webers.

- G

- G

This didn't turn into a Weber vs. BGE thread. In your very first post you started the thread as a Weber vs. BGE thread.

Oh, and check my signture. No BGE but lots of Webers, not that I wouldn't mind having a BGE to throw aroud too.

Yeah, let's get back on topic here...

Just because you have a buddy who lacks common sense, doesn't mean you should completely rule out buying a BGE :laugh:

LOL~!:-D Its more of a versatility thing. Though Maybe I will get a the smallest BGE for a table top cooker when I get my own house. But thats a maybe. I still think that webers are more bang for the buck.

- G

First, I have 2 weber kettles and would probably give my right nutt to have a weber rancher. I LOVE my webers.

That said, to somehow compare a weber grill to a big green egg is like drawing a comparison between a mercedes and a freight train. They dont compare. They do different things and do them differently. They aren't even sorta close. If you're using a BGE like you would a Weber grill, then frankly you're mis-using your BGE. To not get one, if what you really want and need is a fantastic ceramic or ceramic-like smoker and cooker, because someone mis-handled and broke it. Well, that's like me saying I dont want my Lang any more because it got a flat tire, or I backed it into my wife's car... It's really a completely illogical and nonsensical argument.

And no, I dont have a BGE. Dont want one, unless one is given to me I'll never have one.

LOL~!:-D Its more of a versatility thing. Though Maybe I will get a the smallest BGE for a table top cooker when I get my own house. But thats a maybe. I still think that webers are more bang for the buck.

- G

If you ever do get a BGE, go for the small, not the mini.

Back