Why I no longer order from SRF

The funny thing about cattle, is they don't muscle out or marble the same. Even if you take 2 from the same herd and genetics, they are going to be different. So to take one brisket from one place, and compare it to, one brisket from another, is kind of silly.

I'm sure both places are selling 100's of briskets a day, and they aren't throwing out the ones with thinner flats. So If you look around, you will probably find someone unhappy with both places.

but when its a widespread thing, there's something systemic. i'd expect it from SRF given how much their volume seems to have increased with supplying massive amounts of beef across the US.

but when its a widespread thing, there's something systemic. i'd expect it from SRF given how much their volume seems to have increased with supplying massive amounts of beef across the US.

True, but calling SRF out, after getting one brisket from another company, that he liked better, seems a little pre-mature. First he is comparing an 18lb brisket to a 15 pound brisket. The 18 lb brisket almost certainly came from an older steer, that had more time to put on muscle. Here is a pic posted from Jason TQ of a butcher shoppe brisket. Notice anything about the flat? They very well might be better, but I would need to see more proof, before I trash talk them.

Attachments

• tnD4syEl.jpg
    tnD4syEl.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 392
Harry soo cooks srf briskets in comps. I have bought 2 gold grade briskets from srf. The first one I got was terrible, really thin flat and it had a divot taken out of if. I posted a thread about it here. They did replace it, but they really didn't want to. The replacement was slightly better and a little thicker. I did take home 4th place out of 80 at a comp with it though. I have actually had thicker flats on the black grades. I think they set really high expectations when you put on their website about being cut by master butchers and such and then they look worse than a Costco prime. Taste really good though

I've never had an issue with their briskets. Did have a ribeye that had a massive gash (almost cut in half) and I sent them an email with a pic A) Letting them know and B)stating that I still cooked/ate it and it was delicious and I didn't expect any compensation. The next day they sent me a new one anyways.

I love SRF...am intrigued by Butcher Shoppe, though. They certainly have a great reputation. For now, we're cooking our SRF Blacks.

True, but calling SRF out, after getting one brisket from another company, that he liked better, seems a little pre-mature. First he is comparing an 18lb brisket to a 15 pound brisket. The 18 lb brisket almost certainly came from an older steer, that had more time to put on muscle. Here is a pic posted from Jason TQ of a butcher shoppe brisket. Notice anything about the flat? They very well might be better, but I would need to see more proof, before I trash talk them.

yeah, it was an odd call out since each brisket is unique. i was responding more to the quoted post, though, and absolutely would expect SRF quality to dip with the quantity they're putting out now at the prices they're moving it for.

yeah, it was an odd call out since each brisket is unique. i was responding more to the quoted post, though, and absolutely would expect SRF quality to dip with the quantity they're putting out now at the prices they're moving it for.

The perfect brisket is an anomaly, not the norm. Just try going to the store and finding a perfect one. I understand when you pay $200 for a brisket, it comes with certain expectations, but if those expectations are perfection, you will be disappointed more times than not.

It's always good to be able to find a place that you can get "hand picked" protein, but I learned a long time ago, you better not burn bridges because it's a long BBQ season.

I figured this thread would go this way. Saying something somewhat negative about certain companies on this board is like doing the same against a gun company on a gun board. LOL!

I've had similar experiences with SRF and they have done VERY well to make things right. While I hold customer service in high regard I do have to take note when it has to be used so frequently at this supposed level of quality.

Just to update everyone I ended up paying $40 for shipping for the 17.5 lb brisket from Pensacola to the Atlanta area.

Y’all playing a different BBQ game at a different level. I think it’s cool the Brethren are willing to pay total $13#, I really do. I promise I am not a cheap person, more like frugal. Cheap affects other people around you, frugality is like a background app.

Anyway we have a store that about every other month runs usda choice at 1.88#
Literally 100’s to pick from.

I’m learning however. I’ve pushed aside and walked away from many brisket with a thin tapered flat. I’ve never heard they plump up. I’ve got to know. ;-)

Your one beautiful brisket is nearly my yearly spend in brisket.

Smoke On brothers, once again my chosen hobbies are escalating in cost.

That is one hauntingly beautiful brisket.

Last edited:
…………...

I’m learning however. I’ve pushed aside and walked away from many brisket with a thin tapered flat. I’ve never heard they plump up. I’ve got to know. ;-)

………..

Some of the Jambo cooks will start them out real hot and then let the cooker settle down some. I don't know if it's the juices or air, but they will plump up quite nicely.

I figured this thread would go this way. Saying something somewhat negative about certain companies on this board is like doing the same against a gun company on a gun board. LOL!

I've had similar experiences with SRF and they have done VERY well to make things right. While I hold customer service in high regard I do have to take note when it has to be used so frequently at this supposed level of quality.

Online meat isn't really my thing. Still I've dealt with them a few times and will probably do so again in the future. I believe in business it's more about how you handle problems then that they happen. Not everyone can be made happen. Nor do they all want do be. Some folks are just miserable.

I'm I understanding that most of these briskets are for competition? If so I wouldn't be so worried about a thin tail on the flat. I want a good middle and enough point for ends, even poor grain direction can be manipulated. It would kill me more as a home cook from a value stand point but there should be more than enough to fill a box

Some of the Jambo cooks will start them out real hot and then let the cooker settle down some. I don't know if it's the juices or air, but they will plump up quite nicely.

Kicking myself. I’ve seen a lot of great points attached to tapered flats. 9/10 times I chop/chunk and mix it all up anyway. Dang

Kicking myself. I’ve seen a lot of great points attached to tapered flats. 9/10 times I chop/chunk and mix it all up anyway. Dang

Like Ninja said, most comp cooks will trim out over half of the brisket, heck time I took left overs home I would have about 5#s out of a 18# packer.:laugh:

nM5GTV.jpg

Back