Why I love having a Food Saver!!!

Right on, Jeff!

We love our FoodSaver too. We freeze our steaks just like that and when we go camping, we put them in the bottom of the cooler. They help keep the ice last longer and thaw slowly. Then we have them for our last-night dinner. Good times.

Great score for your area. I got bone-in rib roast at Target on Christmas Eve for $4.49/lb. Also found beef tenderloin for$6.99/lb. I do still live in Iowa for a reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gotta love a FoodSaver. Been using one for years.

Just tonight I vacuum sealed leftover Italian sweet sausage and meatballs in a few quart sized bags. The leftover sauce, homemade for Christmas Eve, is in the freezer in a plastic container and I'll transfer it to a vacuum bag once it hardens.

Yup, gotta love a FoodSaver!

Right on, Jeff!

We love our FoodSaver too. We freeze our steaks just like that and when we go camping, we put them in the bottom of the cooler. They help keep the ice last longer and thaw slowly. Then we have them for our last-night dinner. Good times.
That's what I do with my Comp meats... Trim, cryo-suck, and freeze. I then slow thaw the Brisket, Pork, and Ribs but I leave the Chicken Frozen to go on top of the cooler for just that reason!

Great score for your area. I got bone-in rib roast at Target on Christmas Eve for $4.49/lb. Also found beef tenderloin for$6.99/lb. I do still live in Iowa for a reason.
I'm going to have to find where your shopping next trip down to KC!

I should hope not! I am suprised you vacu sealed them in the first place!! :laugh: I'll be bringing some goodies next time though!
I wouldn't worry, we ALWAYS have extra food... By then both of your little ones are going to be running around and your going to need your energy!!!!

Gotta love a FoodSaver. Been using one for years.

Just tonight I vacuum sealed leftover Italian sweet sausage and meatballs in a few quart sized bags. The leftover sauce, homemade for Christmas Eve, is in the freezer in a plastic container and I'll transfer it to a vacuum bag once it hardens.

Yup, gotta love a FoodSaver!
That's the reason I looking at a second freezer!

Jewel is a Mega Mart on the North Side?

That's weird.

It either Jewel, or Sams Club (30 minutes away) or I could go to Dominicks but I'm not a fan of warm meat (You've got to be kidding me!!!!!)....

i really want to buy a foodsaver. but the reviews on most of them on amazon say they are horrible... anyone know of one that will last??

i really want to buy a foodsaver. but the reviews on most of them on amazon say they are horrible... anyone know of one that will last??
The problems I've found are normally caused by me being impatient...

In the past I would seal the bags quickly with no cool down time for the sealing strip. The newer models won't let you do that, in fact, if you try the light just flashes at you. I've now gotten to the point where I'll do between seven and ten seals and then give it a bit of a break with the cover open to cool down the strip.

I have not had any problems with the vacuum portion of the unit.

I guess the important thing to remember is that these are NOT commercial units even though we are pushing them like they are.

Too bad the package said that meat is for OVEN ROASTING. :)

Karen got me a Food Saver for Christmas. Can't wait to use it - hopefully, I can find a deal as sweet as that.

The DW and I have the Vac 1050 model, about 10 years old now. It has sealed thousands of bags for us. We recently bought the discontinued V 2222 model for the $24 coupon price for a backup unit as I keep expecting the original unit to stop working. I learned early on to let the sealer cool down about every 10 seals and it seems to have worked.

Our uses of it have been for game meat from my brothers hunting trips, chicken, fish and steak entrees cooked in large quantities and used over a couple of months when we both were working before retirement and store specials on meats and fish. Any failures we've have had are usually operator error, mostly a contaminated seal area so sealing is not complete.

There is a high end market that I visit infrequently, because of the high prices, but they sell prime grade steaks and roasts and occasionally will have a sale of various cuts. I've scored Porter house, T-Bone, Ribeye, New York, Top Sirloin steaks and Tri Tip roasts in quantity, and the Foodsaver has worked great for long term sealing of these.

About a year ago I was cleaning out the chest freezer and found 2 prime Ribeye and 2 prime Porterhouse steaks that were over 4 years old on the sealing date. They looked and smelled fine when opened and defrosted and to our amazement taste and texture were the same as if they had only been vacuum frozen for 3 months. Vacuum sealing with the Foodsaver sure works for us. YMMV:thumb:

olddesertrider

Last edited:
Recommendations are that you pre freeze liquids. Do you really have to do that
I do, or should I say I did until I got my new pressure canner.

I also pre-freeze stuff like strawberries, blue berries, ABT's, spinach balls, MOINK balls, Pot Pies, Enchilada's, and the such... Basically, any thing that could/would get crushed (or squished out) during the cryo-suck process should be frozen first and then done.

I was reading the instructions for the first time in my life, :becky: and that's what it said to do. I wonder though, what if it doesn't fit in the bag after you do that?

I was reading the instructions for the first time in my life, :becky: and that's what it said to do. I wonder though, what if it doesn't fit in the bag after you do that?
Loose stuff like the strawberries shouldn't have a problem... When I do the Pot Pies and Enchilada's, I do them in the 2x4 in pans so they fit fine as well... For soups and sauces, I put them in the bag and freeze it before I seal it. That way it won't squish out and you know it fits...

One trick I did learn is to have some of the 'Binder Clips' you would use at the office on paper around... Fill the bag, fold it over a couple of times, clip it, and then freeze it flat so it stacks better. Once it's frozen, run it through the cryo-suck process and then store it. By freezing it flat it's easier to store.

Back