Why do thicker bbq sauces seem to dominate the market?

nope, ain't nobody, mass market, using commercial thick sauces and thinning. maybe once but after that they're on their way to hard case.

tomato paste would be used as a THICKENER it's not the same thing as reducing. commercial sauces are still not REDUCED to be thick. they are added to.

i still hold to americans are addicted to sugar(myself included)and sugar is thick.

In a way... you are kind of explaining why I am correct on this. Not saying your wrong buddy because your not from Kansas (and also not Chris who is from Kansas) but consider this.

1) Many use agents such as Tomato paste which are derived from reduction and carmilization already. BUT correct some are thickened by arrow root, corn starch, okra juice.... its on the bottle marked lol "thickening agent" and even more are things you cannot pronounce. So think... which is it? and is it more ketchup, ketchup concentrate (ketchup without the water added). So I am not saying they got together and had a forum and said... well I think we should make it thicker because people can always thin it out... its just those that DO like a thinner sauce and like to modify ... well its easier so they buy more... and that in the end affect sales and it sort of evolves to that way. Lately I think it more about mass appeal..;.. think of something... your all the sudden in the sauce biz... your making a commercial and not for any of us hard cases.... THINK is an additive that sells Enyte and BBQ Sauce... thin sell tampons.

Thats because your taste buds don't realize what is going on in a true, tomato based, but heavy on the vinegar, V8 AND BEEF DRIPPINGS bbq sauce tatses like right off the line ala Angelos. Your thinking KC style. There is a whole nother side to that true texas sauce from the line. The kind you cannot bottle...

Pet peeve of mine: people who put tomatoe based BBQ sauce on beef. The only tomatoe sauce you ever put on beef is if you're making spagehtti or chili.

Thats because your taste buds don't realize what is going on in a true, tomato based, but heavy on the vinegar, V8 AND BEEF DRIPPINGS bbq sauce tatses like right off the line ala Angelos. Your thinking KC style. There is a whole nother side to that true texas sauce from the line. The kind you cannot bottle...

I'd love to try it Donnie, sounds interesting.

No, no, no, ya all got it all wrong. Its because Heinz ran an ad some years back that showed the katsup poring out of the bottle at a snails pace. This caused people to associate thick sauce as not only a better tasting product but also cost effective. Well thats my theory anyway.

This sauce with molasses that I posted about also calls for bring it to a boil then reduce the heat and simmer for 3 1/2 hours which really sounds excessive for the amount involved but I swore to stick to the recipe.
Dave

No, no, no, ya all got it all wrong. Its because Heinz ran an ad some years back that showed the katsup poring out of the bottle at a snails pace. This caused people to associate thick sauce as not only a better tasting product but also cost effective. Well thats my theory anyway.

This sauce with molasses that I posted about also calls for bring it to a boil then reduce the heat and simmer for 3 1/2 hours which really sounds excessive for the amount involved but I swore to stick to the recipe.
Dave

Oh my gawd!!! That's probably why I want to listen to Carly Simon every time I eat a burger.

there too many sauces out there to try and make your own , everyone have a secret sauce or rub, basically they have the same thing in them but with some silly a## name

I disagree. I think it is healthy for the world of bbq for people to keep trying to develop their own personal favorite rubs, sauces, marinades etc. You do have similar flavored products on the market no doubt. But how boring would bbq get if we stopped being innovative and using our imagination with regards to rubs, sauces, marinades etc.? That's part of the fun and excitement. :clap2:

there too many sauces out there to try and make your own , everyone have a secret sauce or rub, basically they have the same thing in them but with some silly a## name

Dave

LOL Post number 36... I misspelled "thick" but alluded to this.

"think of something... your all the sudden in the sauce biz... your making a commercial and its not for any of us hard cases.... THINK [sic] THICK is an adjective that sells Enzyte and BBQ Sauce... thin sell tampons

Last edited by a moderator:
LOL Post number 36... I misspelled "thick" but alluded to this.

"think of something... your all the sudden in the sauce biz... your making a commercial and not for any of us hard cases.... THINK [sic] THICK is an additive that sells Enyte and BBQ Sauce... thin sell tampons

I want to respond to this so bad but I would surly be band from this forum or at the very least sent to the penalty box. :icon_shy
Dave

My absolute favorite sauce for pulled pork has always been nothing but a blend of vinegar, cayenne pepper, salt and a little lemon. So, not even a sauce really. Had to shake it up before using. This is what a local pit provided and I've loved it since when I was a kid.

We've been bombarded with advertising of everything from ketchup to sauce that
thicker is better. That, and in our psyche somewhere there's a more is better [and
surely thicker is more] tendency. As a marketer of a sauce, having to then market
to the masses, who tendencies being tendencies have no real clue as to BBQ, you
simply must put out as thick a sauce as can be done. The more flavor the better
(from a sales stand point).

Side note; I actually got into a discussion with my mother last weekend about the
best barbecue that she'd ever eaten. It was the SAUCE. You couldn't taste the
meat. The sauce had TONS of flavor that would've covered an over-spiced Indian
curry dish... Anyway, there goes most folks' understanding of barbecue...

My father got to taste a pretty good batch of barbecue a few months back. It took
me a while to explain to him "little, VERY little or NO sauce". It truly was beyond
his comprehension.

We've been bombarded with advertising of everything from ketchup to sauce that
thicker is better. That, and in our psyche somewhere there's a more is better [and
surely thicker is more] tendency. As a marketer of a sauce, having to then market
to the masses, who tendencies being tendencies have no real clue as to BBQ, you
simply must put out as thick a sauce as can be done. The more flavor the better
(from a sales stand point).

Side note; I actually got into a discussion with my mother last weekend about the
best barbecue that she'd ever eaten. It was the SAUCE. You couldn't taste the
meat. The sauce had TONS of flavor that would've covered an over-spiced Indian
curry dish... Anyway, there goes most folks' understanding of barbecue...

My father got to taste a pretty good batch of barbecue a few months back. It took
me a while to explain to him "little, VERY little or NO sauce". It truly was beyond
his comprehension.

Bro,

In fairness... you're a damn good cook. This site is full of damn good cooks.

But there are many, many out there grilling for their families and friends that are NOT, and they need that sauce.

Without it.... well, let's not go there.

Back