Why do folks around here hate lighter fluid so much!?!

There are several reasons I don't use lighter fluid. First is, it's an unnecessary expense. 2nd is, it's an unnecessary use of a petroleum product. Third is, it stinks. 4th is, using a weed burner is fun and quicker! :-D 5th is, it would seem contradictory to use fluid w/ lump. :doh:

There are several reasons I don't use lighter fluid. First is, it's an unnecessary expense. 2nd is, it's an unnecessary use of a petroleum product. Third is, it stinks. 4th is, using a weed burner is fun and quicker! :-D 5th is, it would seem contradictory to use fluid w/ lump. :doh:

Isn't propane a by product of petrolium refinement process?

Guys won't use liquid petroleum product but gas petroleum product thru weed burner is just fine.........:wacko: must be free?

Beer-it's all about the beer

When I used lighter fluid I barely got to drink half a beer before it was time to cook. If I use primo or weber starter sticks/cubes I get about 20-30 minutes to nurture an ale or two (or prep meat). I'm a starter stick/cube/ and chimney fan.

+1 never use lighter fluid in ceramic cookers.

Once I smell lighter fluid burning, I just cannot get rid of that smell in my head for the next couple of hours.

LOL so i guess you never smell cigarettes burning? or vehicles running? are you amish? lol

I'm the same way. Once I smell lighter fluid, that smell is stuck with me the rest of the day. I cannot touch the stuff.

When I lived in an Apartment when I was out of college, the guy two floors down doused his charcoal with fluid and that smell would float up to my apartment and stay there the rest of the night. It drove me nuts!

When I used lighter fluid I barely got to drink half a beer before it was time to cook. If I use primo or weber starter sticks/cubes I get about 20-30 minutes to nurture an ale or two (or prep meat). I'm a starter stick/cube/ and chimney fan.

+1 never use lighter fluid in ceramic cookers.

You need to drink the beer faster!

I won't use it! It might just be me but I swear I can tastes a remnant of it. Lacking a torch , weed burner or chimney, sacrificing a little White dog to the great BBQ gods is perfectly acceptable. Like the best Chefs will tell ya if ya don't drink it don't cook with it.

Here's the same question in another perspective...

Know anyone use lighter fluid... in their fireplace?

When i was a kid growing up... it was a constant odor during my dad's overcharred and overcooked meats.
No longer have the need or desire...

Same with propane as you could use paper.

Yes indeed. I do use paper sometimes w/ my chimney, instead of the weed burner.

Is this a touchy subject for some fluid users? :shocked:

My comments addressed why I don't use fluid. It would be an unnecessary expense for ME and unnecessary use of a petroleum product by ME since I already use the propane-fired, non-stinky weed burner. :blah:

5.WeedBurner- Because its more fun .....will be accepted. :mrgreen:

Bludawg I wouldn't drink propane either so weed burners and torches are out by that logic......but I would eat a small white dog if need be so that IS acceptable.....

Using fluid seems to be a touchy subject for NONUsers.........:wink:

My thoughts, based on no scientific evidence at all, is that every time you fire up your pit you’re seasoning it with the wood/smoke you’re using during that cook. That being said, my pit is well-seasoned with wood which is why any time I open the lid (lit or not) all I can smell and see on everything is oak and hickory smoke. My assumption is that by letting the lighter fluid burn off you’re essentially seasoning your pit with some lighter fluid laced smoke. While you may not be able to taste it in your food today, over time you might unless you 1) never light it in your pit or 2) regularly clean and re-season everything.

Why chance it when a dab of vegetable oil on some paper from a charcoal bag under a chimney can get things going just about as fast? I seem to always have those items on hand and don't have to worry about running out of lighter fluid ever.

For me it's simple I hate the smell. And most people aren't patient enough to let it burn completely off so that smell becomes vaporized on the food. Yuk.

Everyone's gotta hate something. It's just healthy.

Here's my issue with Charcoal lighter fluid: people don't read the dang instructions so they want to put the meat on 15 min after they light it up.

That's my only issue. I do think that you won't burn off 100% of the fluid. Why not just use a chimney starter??? It takes almost the EXACT SAME TIME to light the same amount of coals and its ALL natural.

I don't hate fluid. I use it occasionally.

Here's my issue with Charcoal lighter fluid: people don't read the dang instructions so they want to put the meat on 15 min after they light it up.

That's my only issue. I do think that you won't burn off 100% of the fluid. Why not just use a chimney starter??? It takes almost the EXACT SAME TIME to light the same amount of coals and its ALL natural.

I don't hate fluid. I use it occasionally.

I actually think the chimney takes less time. I used to use lighter fluid all the time, that's all I knew. I don't really think it flavors the food at all if you wait for the coals to be truly ready before cooking on them, and I would certainly never look down on a friend/neighbor cooking that way. Heck, I even bit my lip when my neighbor fired up his gas grill to make the burgers for our block party...I just quietly cooked my brats up on the Weber and let him enjoy his grill, his way.

The one thing I HATE about the chimney, sometimes you end up with that pile of newspaper ash under the chimney when you're done. On a windy day it might fly out of the grill all over your patio and leave little black marks everywhere that need to be wiped off.

The last thing I want is a piece of newspaper ash finding it's way onto my competition chicken...always looking for a better way that doesn't involve propane...or explosive gas cylinders.

Back