Why are St. Louis Style Ribs So Popular?

I don't own a grinder and while I have done some pretty good rib tips- I just don't have much use for full spares. I've cooked them whole and trimmed at service but the thin and floppy bits just don't cook up well (for me).
When I do my version of charro beans, I use bacon or smoked brisket- the rib flaps don't do much for me.
The pre-cut STL are just more convenient.

Cut them up a bit and throw them in your red pasta sauce while it's simmering. A revelation!

Cuz I'm too Lazy to trim full spares.......

I'm with SmittyJonz....

Sometimes I just don't have the time to cut the tips off, other times I'm just plain lazy and I don't feel like cutting them off.

Most of my guests tend to eat with their eyes before they serve themselves. The St. Louis cuts just looks more appealing, and with young children and toddlers in attendance; no one has to worry about a choking hazard with the little pieces of cartilage.

It's all a matter of personal preference coupled with your available time.

Last edited:
I'm with SmittyJonz....

Sometimes I just don't have the time to cut the tips off, other times I just plain lazy and I don't feel like cutting them off.

Most of my guests tend to eat with their eyes before they serve themselves. The St. Louis cuts just looks more appealing, and with young children and toddlers in attendance; no one has to worry about a choking hazard with the little pieces of cartilage.

It's all a matter of personal preference coupled with your available time.

This is the first post about rib tips that makes total sense to me. Rib tips, chicken wings, anything that requires discrimination while eating, should not be within young children's reach.
When young children are in the mix, I try to remember my daughter when she was little.
My sister-in-law always tried to keep stuff above todler level. One time, my daughter walked past me with all the broccoli spears from the veggie tray in her little hands. Other times, she would wander around with black olives on all her fingertips.
In our house, when small children are present, anything "chokeable" goes in the middle of the kitchen island. Works for visiting dogs, too.

I'm sad to report that I don't do spares. I find them too fatty for me. But I can understand the popularity and the ability to take some heat.

I started smoking with Baby Backs, and other than 2 smokes or so of spares, that's all I've smoked for 7 years.

:hand: :pray: :icon_shy

Full spares have a lot of wasted meat on them that I don't care to cook or eat. St. Louis or baby backs are where it's at for me.

Just curious but why do you find it to be wasted meat? If cooked properly most of the fat renders and it's a juicy morsel at the top of a rib. Nomnomnom.

In competition I don't use full spares because they are generally too long to fit in the box, and I'm pretty sure the judges wouldn't want to eat the rib tips/cartilage.

In competition I don't use full spares because they are generally too long to fit in the box, and I'm pretty sure the judges wouldn't want to eat the rib tips/cartilage.

Nor do the folks I feed. :clap2:

Too each his own. Makes for great seasoning for beans and such.

Wasted Meat

Full spares have a lot of wasted meat on them that I don't care to cook or eat. St. Louis or baby backs are where it's at for me.

Hi I buy full spares at my local super market,save the trimmings for sausage making.When I do cook full spares I trim to St louis style after they are cooked.
DanB

I've only ever done baby back ribs. I've been given ribs to try that we're full spares and really didn't expect or understand the cartridge etc. I get it now, but am just not interested. I DO have a pack of St Louis cut ( 1st ever ) I may do this weekend, on the WSM as I'm currently "between smokers" as far as stick burners go :)

Confession: I was smoking spare ribs/St.Louis because they were more challenging to cook right. Did I actually enjoy eating them more than Baby Back/Loin Ribs? Not really. But I felt like "legit" BBQ leaned more towards spares.

However-- I've given up this foolishness. I'm going to cook baby backs from now on because they're quick(er), more forgiving, and tasty. In fact, I may cook them until they're super soft and fall off the bone-- bite test be damned! And I may use KC masterpiece sauce because I like that too. Whew... that was a lot to unload!

It's the opposite here in NE Missouri. I can't seem to find St. Louis style ribs. Never had a problem before but all I see is full spares or Baby Backs, which isn't a problem. I don't mind cutting them down to St. Louis style, and I definitely don't mind Baby Backs!

Back