Whole pork shoulder

blackdogbbq21

Take a breath!
Name or Nickame
Paul
I've cooked a lot of pork butts, however I've never done a whole shoulder. I want to give it a try just have a few questions. Does anyone know what the typical yield of usable meat you get from the whole shoulder. I'm thinking with larger bone, skin and fat that won't render the yield must be less than cooking just a bone in butt.

I'd be cooking it on an offset smoker. Any chance the skin gets crispy enough to mix into the meat or am I better off trimming it off and getting more bark? Was thinking of trying to salt the skin in hopes of getting it crispy but I know the whole hog guys that salt the skin use coals right under the hog to crisp the skin.

Last edited:
I grew up in North Carolina where they do whole shoulders. From putting some on my reverse flow last summer I ended up with about 8% less meat but the Q had a better flavor than pork butt alone. Which is why they do whole shoulder in NC

Man, I'm envious. It is very hard for me to source a shoulder anymore. All I can say is, inject.... inject.... inject. Try to get as close to the bones as you can. Oh, did I mention injecting? :mrgreen:

Anyways, when you lay it out.... visualize the bone location, the butt blade bone is attached to the arm bone in the picnic, and the arm bone connects to the lower foreshank bone. You asked about yield, and I've never weighed before and after, but the 60% yield mentioned above sounds like a good guestimate, but even if you get 50%, it will be worth it. A shoulder is much better than cooking a butt and picnic separately. Maybe it's the mass, or just the anticipation.

You guys are a bad influence. I'm now looking at a SRF bone-in Kurobuta pork shoulder...

That SNF whole shoulder is a beast of a cut. A friend of mine got one that was almost 20 pounds, which actually made the price per pound almost reasonable.

Been years since I have cooked 1, I would say injecting if you plan to leave the skin on, Hard to get seasonings to the meat with the skin on, the skin was always peeled off and wasn't eatable imo. the meat was always good though. was cooking on a off set and don't have 1 these days, butts use to be rare to find but shoulders were common, things have reversed in ETn lol

Back