THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

C

Coal Cracken BBQ

If I cook a 125 lb pig how much yield would I get? I was told that you get about 70 % of live weight that sounds like a lot right.

That what I thought. I knew that you wouldn't get 70 % Thanks

If you are talking dressed weight with head on you will yield somewhere between 35-45lbs is my best guestimate of what I get. I've cooked about 5 in that size range this year. My personal opinion is a hog of that size will feed 140-160 most info I find online says it will feed less but I have not found this info to be correct.

Last edited:
Wow, you must feed small eaters. I figure 1.5 Lbs. dressed out weight per person. I always have a little bit left but not that much. The worse thing you can do is run out with hungry people still wanting to eat. You will usually yield 35% to 40% of dressed out weight. The yield is worse the smaller the pig.

If you are talking dressed weight with head on you will yield somewhere between 35-45lbs is my best guestimate of what I get. I've cooked about 5 in that size range this year. My personal opinion is a hog of that size will feed 140-160 most info I find online says it will feed less but I have not found this info to be correct.

That size pig will yeild approx. 45 lbs of meat. Best i can (or would try) to feed on that is 120 people.

YMMV :thumb:

On edit. and that statement above would be portioning 1/3 lb servings.
I've had a pig the same size devoured by 75 for a pig pickin.

Last edited:
Back