Whole hog on the Lang 84 deluxe (pron!)

Thanks for the post. I am sure most of us has a goal of cooking a whole hog at some time. Seeing this post my push me to give it a try sooner than later. Looks real nice.

I guess I was thinking it would be more like a pork butt, but it was an almost gamie flavor. Perhaps what the pig was feed or the breed, not sure. Not bad just different from what I'm used to pork tasting like.

Two things will make an animal have an off taste. #1 is cooking it while it still has body heat in it. You said you killed it and cooked it the same day. I was raised on a working hog farm/sausage factory. All hogs were cooled at least 24 hours after they were killed. #2 was it an uncut boar hog? One that size could already have some testosterone flowing through it's veins if he had not been cut when he was very small.

Either way you did a great job cooking it. Beautiful pig!

Two things will make an animal have an off taste. #1 is cooking it while it still has body heat in it. You said you killed it and cooked it the same day. I was raised on a working hog farm/sausage factory. All hogs were cooled at least 24 hours after they were killed. #2 was it an uncut boar hog? One that size could already have some testosterone flowing through it's veins if he had not been cut when he was very small.

Either way you did a great job cooking it. Beautiful pig!

It was sent to the slaughter house at around 9am and I picked it up around 4:30pm. It was on ice in a cooler when I got it. And it was a female.

I always cook them belly up spread eagle ( butterfly style) I think your presentation with that skin color is awesome but you may get better flavor and a quicker cook butterflied. Never cooked a fresh one always come frozen. I inject also and the meat is always equal or better than butts.

d
The body heat is what gave you the off taste then.

I've helped cook 4 hogs, never on my own. The first one we did it all including scraping the hair almost off. ( almost) lol. We cooked it same day too and it had a taste different from one that they spent lots of money on that was professionaly done. I'm always the night guy since I don't drink!! Tending the hog. That one looks great and makes me want to do one solo very soon.

what do you think?

I always cook them belly up spread eagle ( butterfly style) I think your presentation with that skin color is awesome but you may get better flavor and a quicker cook butterflied. Never cooked a fresh one always come frozen. I inject also and the meat is always equal or better than butts.

Will be trying my 2nd 35lber for the 4th. It will butterflied, on it's back, head on in my 20x40 Tejas Smoker. Was planning on 8 hours at 250*; 1st one I tried on Memorial Day just wasn't done in the 4.5 hrs I had read. Was gonna try 4 hours heavy smoke then 4 hours wrapped or until 190* in the hams. PLEASE PLEASE give some advice/tips/feedback...:doh:

Nice looking Hog.
I haven't cooked one on my Lang in a long while.
Your pics may have me changing that real soon.

Great job cooking whole hog. I have a local hog farmer/ butcher that processes on a Wednesday for Friday pick up. Always good, never a bad one. I also stuff the cavity with sauerkraut and sausage, and it really makes for an awesome presentation when served! You will need more time to cook than hinged style. I probe the hams and look for 185 to finish.

Back