Whole Hog Cook with PRON-FAIL!

markdtn

is one Smokin' Farker
I am a Boy Scout Scoutmaster. My oldest son earned his Eagle Scout and wanted me to cook a pig in the ground for the ceremony. I have always wanted to do that so I was happy to do it. I did a lot of research and want to thank all of you, especially Cowgirl, for the advice and encouragement. Following is the story of the days before and the day of.

Before-get a grate ($5 new scrap); buy burlap($?), concrete reinforcing mesh ($8-basically un-galvanized fence), a load of hardwood($45), aluminum foil($15), 30 firebricks($65), and a 4x8 metal plate($75)

Monday-50-60 lb frozen dressed pig supposed to arrive at local meat processor. Begin digging hole

Tuesday-find out pig not delivered, “maybe Saturday”-start to panic, explain my plans, and am assured it will be here Thursday morning. This does not allow
long to thaw, but have no choice. Continue digging hole.

Wednesday-more digging

Thursday-get a call that the pig is in. Breathe small sigh of relief but weather for the weekend not looking great-cold and rainy. Get advice on how to defrost a frozen pig. Hole is finished. It is 3’ deep, 3’ wide, and 5’ long.

Friday:
2:00 leave work early, go get pig ($165). It is misting rain.
3:00 arrive home with frozen pig and a chest full of ice; put pig in bathtub to thaw. Change water every 20-30 minutes.
3:45 start fire small using weedburner and bacon grease. Add wood hourly until 9:00
6:30 pig is sufficiently thawed so I ice it until 9:00. Misty rain still coming and going.
6:45 My parents arrive from 200 miles away. My mother has bought a large cooler of fruit and items to decorate a cooked pig.
9:00 take pig to kitchen table to dress it. Covered the table with a disposable painters dropcloth. We rubbed the outside with olive oil. We injected it with a mixture of white grape juice, apple juice, turbanado sugar and salt. We used a dry rub in the cavity. We put potatoes, onions, garlic, and corn on the cob into the cavity. We wrapped it in aluminum foil, then wet burlap, then the concrete mesh.
10:00 we put the grate into the pit. We have a beautiful 12” bed of hardwood coals, mostly Oak with some Hickory and Apple. We put the pig in it’s cocoon onto the grate. We put the plate over the hole and cover the edges with dirt until no smoke comes out.

Up until now I believe we did everything right. Here is where it all goes sideways.

Saturday:
7:30 I feel the plate and it is warm, not hot. It is 38 degrees outside so I think it is OK. Big mistake. Had I dug it up now I could have still had it for the party.
8:00-11:45 fire up the Klose 20x50 BYC and do 6 whole chickens and a pork loin. Got some good Hickory and they all turn out well.
12:00 dig up the pig. It is obvious when the hole is opened that there is not a lot of action in there. The coals are out, the top layer you can feel warmth but no heat. We lift it out with no need for the wire handles. There are red juices coming out. We take it inside to access the situation. I was prepared for this with 15 packs of pulled pork in the freezer, but never believed this would cause me to need them-I always thought it would be burnt not underdone. We have to leave at 1:40 to go set up for a the 4:00 event. There is no way this pig will be ready. Dad and I decide it is not ruined, it has stayed hot enough.
12:15 We put the pig onto the BYC and put more fuel in the firebox. My dad agrees to stay until 3:40 and add fuel. At the same time we are furiously defrosting 15 packs of frozen pulled pork.
1:40 we leave for the Ceremony
3:40 Dad loads up the firebox with wood and almost closes the damper.
4:00 Ceremony. Goes well. I am very proud of my son. About 100 people come to share the event.
5:15 Dinner. My mother uses the cooler full of fruit to decorate the pans of previously frozen pulled pork.
7:30 arrive back home and check the pig. It is done, but I sacrificed some of the meat with having no chance to wrap it.
7:40 Take it off, throw away the onions, garlic, etc. and start pulling the good meat. I get about a pan and a half. It tastes good.

Sunday-invite the whole congregation to share the leftovers. I froze about 5 bags after that.

Lessons learned
1-my soil will not allow complete blockage of smoke. I should have left some small air flow to the hole.
2-Not sure I will try a pig in the ground again. My family says I should, but I may just go with the concrete block pit or just put it on the BYC.
3-A backup plan is always a good thing. The Boy Scout motto is “Be Prepared”

Thank you all again for your advice and encouragement. Hopefully this will help somebody to have a more successful cook that I did.

http://s241.photobucket.com/user/markdtn/media/Pig/8_zps475fe95e.jpg.html

Too bad about all of the troubles you had, but it sounds like you certainly pulled it off as best as you could. Congrats to your son, BTW!

Thanks for the thread, learned a lot. And big congratulations to your son, earning his Eagle Scout will serve him very well for his entire lifetime.

Thats the thing about anything buried under ground. you have to try and figure it, hours per pound, it's a guessing game.
Sounds like it still worked out pretty well for ya, wasn't a total loss, and best of all,
your Son did well.

I'm guessing you were a Boy Scout too. You were certainly prepared for every outcome. Great job!

Yes, I am an Eagle Scout.

I guess I need a new post, but I am curious those that have done this about how strictly they cut off the air. If you read everything you can on doing this, there are many variables that are not consistent: depth/size of hole, depth of coals, length of cook-but they all say to have a cover of some type and not to let any smoke out or air in. I have to believe that my coals died way too early.

I burned over half a long pickup load of hardwood. I burned it for almost 7 hours on top of 30 firebricks. I had at least 12" of beautiful coals. When we dug it up, the top layer was warm, not hot at all. Way at the bottom were still hot and came to life after a few minutes laying on the ground. The coals looked like charcoal, like they were deprived of air. There was some ash, but not a lot. It is hard to see from the photo and at that time I was panicking and stopped taking photos.

I have to assume that lack of air killed my fire. If I do this again, I will throw dirt around the edges of the plate, but not make as much effort to stop all smoke. I will also have some sort of temperature device in the hole. Thanks for your comments.

Had the same problems when we buried one.
I don't think the answer is in allowing air flow.
I think the answer is in having a massive amount of coals so that as they are gradually snuffed out, the heat level remains.

In order to do it right, you need some rocks or bricks to retain heat covered by a minimum of a foot of hot coals. I was nowhere near that and it doesn't look like you were either.
From everything I've read, it will take you longer to get your fire ready than the pig will be in the ground.

Sorry things didn't work out for you. I know it is a little late now, but for what you spent on the "hole", for $100 more you could have had a La Caja China that would have done the same thing. If you didn't want to keep it, you could sell it and still be ahead.

Had the same problems when we buried one.
I don't think the answer is in allowing air flow.
I think the answer is in having a massive amount of coals so that as they are gradually snuffed out, the heat level remains.

In order to do it right, you need some rocks or bricks to retain heat covered by a minimum of a foot of hot coals. I was nowhere near that and it doesn't look like you were either.
From everything I've read, it will take you longer to get your fire ready than the pig will be in the ground.

Pmad, nailed it! From the looks of your pic, the hole wasn't near deep enough and there weren't enough hot coals. I raise pigs and have cooked more of them this way than I can count. No air hole is used.....this is old school style. http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/2009/12/cooking-whole-hog-underground.html
Sorry to hear it didn't work out for you!

I'm in the middle of deer season....have two hanging so far! :becky:

The Hawaiian method relies on using a lot, LOT, of rocks in the pit. They line the pit with black lava rocks, this is what forms the IMU, then they burn the fire in the pit, high heat for hours. The pig in them placed in the pit, you did a good job wrapping. The burlap is wet, or use leaves, we typically did both. Then the dirt is put on. The pig is not cooked by fire, it is cooked by screaming hot rocks that slowly cool in the insulation of the earth. I have done pigs, goats and sheep (GAH!) and this method is really a bake/steam method.

Pmad, nailed it! From the looks of your pic, the hole wasn't near deep enough and there weren't enough hot coals. I raise pigs and have cooked more of them this way than I can count. No air hole is used.....this is old school style. http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/2009/12/cooking-whole-hog-underground.html
Sorry to hear it didn't work out for you!

I'm in the middle of deer season....have two hanging so far! :becky:

OK. I had 12" of good hardwood coals and had 30 firebrick to hold in heat. If I do it again, I will try more coals. Our soil is clay, there is no air percolating in, I wonder if others might have more porous soils? Just so I understand, what do your coals look like when you dig it up? Is it more like lump charcoal or ashes? Thanks for the advice. I tried to use your method as much as I could.

Sorry to hear it didn't go well, but it looks like you gained a lot of knowledge nevertheless. I've been doing piggys on my 20x50 BYC and I really like the results I get. Aside from that, I'm way to lazy to be digging a hole, plus I think my lovely wife would throw me in after the pig if I dug a hole in the yard.

As I see it, I would immediately start lobbying for a pig cooker and stop digging holes. A La Caja China, or Jeanie's concrete block version, is the way to go. Or, a backhoe, now, if you can get a backhoe out of this, then stick with it.

"But, honey, you said you wanted me to stick with cooking pigs in the ground, and The Brethren said I need a deeper hole"
r4d032580_1025filb_642x462.jpg

Congrats on the Eagle Scout. (I'm a Scout Leader and have my Chief Scout Award similar to Eagle in Canada).

Better than the opposite, Our cubmaster tried to show us cooking ribs in the ground at camp. When we unearthed them at dinner time, there was nothing left but ash. KFC for dinner at camp that night.

Yair . . . The only successful underground cooks I have seen involved a lot, perhaps a ton of river rock and a truck load of firewood burning for a day to get them hot.

It's a Kiwi thing here, I think called a "Hungi".

The meat was wrapped in banana leaves, covered with sheets of roofing iron and dirt and left to steam for about ten hours . . . can't say I was impressed with the finished product and I've seen a lot of failures

Cheers

Not so much a fail, if you still got to eat the pig IMO. Good save, and sounds like you had a grand time celebrating your son's achievement.

Back