Whole Brisket with Todd's Dirt Review

Panthers65

is one Smokin' Farker
Picked up a bottle of Todd's Dirt from Bass Pro yesterday and woke up at the crack of dawn today to put it on the smoker.

I started last night with a 12lb whole choice brisket from Sams, trimmed probably 2 lbs of fat off (mostly on the inside, very little off the cap) and did an initial rub of Dirt. Woke up this morning and set my egg to run at 250* One more sprinkle of the dirt and the brisket was cooking.

Had to fold the brisket, first time I've cooked it on the egg instead of my drum. Didn't notice any difference in how it cooked compared to cooking it flat on my drum.

5 hours in:
578865_779353023762_1890756839_n.jpg

Sliced:
314354_779342055742_1794228219_n.jpg

(with the wife sneaking a piece before the photo-op) :doh:

Todd's Dirt produced a great bark, very textured and full of flavor. Smoke ring wasn't as deep as I would have liked, but I don't know if I can credit that to the hickory chunks I was using or the rub.

As for the rub itself, it's the first one I have used that's heavy in basil, cilantro, and oregano, and the "green" flavors were very dominant. The taste was great, but I felt they overpowered the rest of the ingredients in the rub, and perhaps the meat itself. I think if I used it on a brisket again, I would put a base of salt, pepper, and some basic beef seasoning, and use Todd's to accent the rub, instead of relying completely on it. I'll be trying it on some steaks here in the next bit, but will use the rub more sparingly on those.

I typically do olive oil, coarse salt/pepper, garlic/onion powder, and maybe some McCormick's steak season if I've got any. While this is still my favorite way to cook a brisket, the Todd's dirt did get me thinking about adding some of the "green" spices to my briskets, only as an added flavor profile instead of the focus of the rub.

All in all, I'd give the rub a 7/10. It did everything it should have done while smoking brisket, it's just not the perfect rub for me. There was some plowboys at basspro as well, but they only had the Jerk and the Fin and Feather rubs in stock, so I went with the Todd's instead. I'm going to try and hunt down some bovine for the next brisket, but with the way mean prices are going, you fawkers may have to wait a bit for that one...

happy smoking!

I am glad you enjoyed the Original DIRT on the Brisket. Some people love it on Brisket, and some don't. You have to like a herbal taste to really enjoy the Original. I think you will really enjoy it on a steak, hamburgers, and chicken. I use it like salt and pepper. Try it in your eggs and soups. Thanks for taking the time to write about the DIRT.

Back