THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

We have had success using our own rub recipe mixed for us by a third party. Just much cheaper we can get our rub produced for $1-2 per pound. We were buying commercial at $5-6 per pound even if we bought bulk

I like to use my own on Chicken, which we have won a few 1st Place turn-ins and I didn't have any left at the last comp so I used a purchased rub and also came in 1st, Got me thinking, is it more in the sauce than the rub:confused:

Make my own rub, a modified version of Dr. BBQ's recipe. Tried my own sauce it bombed. Switched to a bottled sauce this season and it was money for us all year, just had to doctor it with some hot sauce, rub and (since they were KCBS comps after all) sweeten it up with a simple syrup. Too sweet for me but the judges have loved it.

We have our own rub, glaze & injection recipes for our pork entries and we have gotten a lot of positive feedback on them and top 10 scores. We have tried commercial sauces on brisket but still are not sold if it is even necessary. Chicken is the only meat we use all commercial stuff and we still have no chicken calls to date. :mad2:

I make my own rubs and I doctor a comercial sauce and use Stubbs and Allegro marinades for an overnight soaker

We make our own rubs and sauces by putting them in a different container after we but them. :idea:

As for rubs I usually use commercial (gotta love plowboy's and smokin guns hot), but I add to them or use them in conjunction with raw spices. As for sauce I have tried many commercial brands, made my own and still come back to commercial. I usually lean to the sauce that family/friends/myself prefers the best.

Back