White Sauce at Comps?

Remember Rule 1: Never, ever, under any circumstance offend a judge. Dont load up on cayenne, dont load up on salt, and dont put out a sauce that's outside of that mahogany red color, especially a white or mustard sauce.

There are always exceptions to the rule, but basically my train of thought is... If it's a KCBS event, cook KC style BBQ.

I marinate the thighs in white sauce for a few hours before I rewrap the skin around 'em and cook'em. Gives 'em a really good flavor and keeps them VERY juicy.

Our team is "Flirtin' with Disaster" and we have done that (too) many times :-D

But, I don't have the cahones to use a white sauce on chicken!

Good Eats, but too far out of the mainstream for competition, even for me.

TIM

It's about getting outside of norm. Too far off and wild things happen. I remember in an open chili cookoff one entry came through with black beans. It was hands-down the best chili that day (across all tables, everyone thought so), except one judge who happened to be on the table where this chili came through. Guess what; it got a 1 from her. She didnt smell it; she didnt taste it. Her words were "it looks like deer poop". So, there 'ya go. Dont go too far out of a norm because you never know what happens. This team went from first place in this entry to DAL.

Perhaps if all I did every weekend was cook for cookoffs and I had a competition where I really didnt care if we were first or DAL, then and only then I *might* try something like this. Otherwise, no.

Remember Rule 1: Never, ever, under any circumstance offend a judge. Dont load up on cayenne, dont load up on salt, and dont put out a sauce that's outside of that mahogany red color, especially a white or mustard sauce.

Dito what he said!!!!! The goal is to WIN the contest...This isn't a perfect world, so don't expect all the judges to judge the entry, "as it was presented to them"...I wouldn't score you down myself, but I don't think you'd be as lucky w/ some other judges... :thumb:

so i get home from work, prep some thighs, open the fridge to get the ingredients for a white sauce...no mayo! :mad2:

i mean who doesn't have mayo in the fridge? :roll:

I make a white sauce that has been picked as tastier than BBG's by every taster who has ever compared the two. A couple years back we had three sauce entries in a large Georgia contest, so I figured, what the hay, why not send it to the judges and see how it would fare.

It finished DAL.

My guess is white BBQ sauce is not going to be well received at a contest anywhere except possibly Northern Alabama.

It's not just white sauce. We watched a really good first time team crater in Asbury Park back when the Brethren were just starting to compete. They were a local restaurant team and could cook! They let us taste their chicken entry and it was wonderful, but it was Asian inspired with ginger and teriyaki...DAL and lower if there was such a thing. It was great food but it was not something to enter in a BBQ contest.

i cooked a hybrid white sauce comp. chicken last night. unfortunately, i dumped all the photos by accident.

it was a success.

not not quite what i had in mind for the experiment. but, i'll get to it at some point.

i have 1 more run at chicken before next week-end, i''ll try and get some pron on it.

Back