Which Smoker - Brinkmann Vertical Smoker or WSM

Congrats, and thats about a record for time taken to make a smoker decision!! Please keep us posted as to your cooks, and the goings on across the pond.
Noah

[quote="CarbonToe...................Anyway, to coin a phrase I've bitten the bullet - I've just ordered a WSM!!!![/quote]

You are going to love the WSM. I cooked in one for a while before passing it on to my youngest son. A great smoker.

nmayeux said:
Congrats, and thats about a record for time taken to make a smoker decision!! Please keep us posted as to your cooks, and the goings on across the pond.
Noah

Speaking of that, where is Hoo, anyways? :D

Congrats on the decision, CarbonToe! Have you checked the shippers site to see if your package is in transit yet? :)

icemn62 said:
My bro has one, and I think would que everyday if he could eat all the meat, he lives alone.

Is there any other way TO live than alone? Oh excuse me... I was just day dreaming out loud there... never mind.

Ron_L said:
nmayeux said:
Noah

Congrats on the decision, CamelToe! Have you checked the shippers site to see if your package is in transit yet? :)

Ron,
I wonder where your mind was when writing this post!??? I hope Mr. CARBONToe has a sense of humor!!!! LMAO!!!!!
Noah

nmayeux said:
Ron_L said:
nmayeux said:
Noah

Congrats on the decision, CamelToe! Have you checked the shippers site to see if your package is in transit yet? :)

Ron,
I wonder where your mind was when writing this post!??? I hope Mr. CARBONToe has a sense of humor!!!! LMAO!!!!!
Noah

Everytime i see his username I think of the Bob and Tom parody song called cameltoe... I guess the thought crept to the surface!

Sorry CarbonToe! I'll edit...

No need to edit. You're not the first to mention the Camel Toe similarities!!

And who doesn’t like Camel Toes? I’ve never tried one smoked!! To sauce or not to sauce…. This could get moderated very fast!!!

'My' smoker should be shipped today (Wed) and arrive on Friday. It's a pity I’m away on Business this weekend….So hoping its not raining on Monday and I'll have my first WSM smoking session.

At least I'm not the only one! :D

Good luck on the first cook. Post pictures!

There was a Web site somewhere to rate a chitload of photos of camel toes on a scale of 1 to 10. One of the funniest sites I've seen.

Congrats on your WSM decision, CarbonToe. Just don't use the burn methods described in the guide that comes with it! Use the Minion or Modified Minion Method. You'll be a lot happier with the performance.

Since placing my order I’ve been reading the Virtual Weber Bullet website, I've even been sad enough to read the sections on unboxing it!!!

The Minion method seems strange as I can taste when someone has cooked on a Kettle without graying the coals, so I'm keen to try it on the WSM with something 'quick and cheap' like a chicken and judge it for myself.

Roll on Monday.

Minion Method - Hot Coals In A Coffee Can
Place a small, bottomless coffee can in the center of the charcoal chamber. Fill around the can with unlit fuel. Put hot coals inside the can, then carefully remove using a pair of channel locks and heat resistant gloves. A photo of this approach is shown here. Thanks to Bruce Kennedy for suggesting this method on The Virtual Weber Bulletin Board.

I want to try this sometime if thw wife would wuit buying plastic coffee cans. :shock:

The minion method described above is slightly different from the one most people use. The weber site gives a few variations, and this is the "inside out" vriation. The one most of us use is to dump a lit chimney on top of unlit coals causing a "top down" burn.

Heres an excerpt form a previous post.

The coals below ignite slowly and the combustion byproducts rise thru the lit coals and reburn. Works like the PCV valve in your car. Reburning the fumes also burns out the impurities that will cause the bitterness on the meat. Using the minion method with only kingsford, the entire burn very little smoke is seen throughout the burn. When mixing in wood chunks throughout the briquettes at different levels, you will ocassionally see heavier smoke as the wood ignites, but still no off flavors.

Our links will break when we move, but heres the original thread titled "WSM Slowburn what about Creasote?"

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12896&highlight=Creasote

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/index.p...ewtopic&p=93461&highlight=minion+method#93461

I know the technique.

'Normally' you burn your coals until you see the whites of their eyes, then you cook on them. With the Minion method you (in theory) are cooking white coals and also on coals that are yet to form that ashy coating.

Whichever way you want to do it and feel most comfortable with but the Minion method rocks. The guy where I bought my WSM told me it would get about two hours before you needed to re-fuel. I laughed and told him I'd be getting closer to five. He told me that wouldn't happen. I've done it numerous times and laugh to myself everytime I think of that conversation. Idiots shouldn't be salespeople but that's another issue. If you burn only "greyed" coals, you're not utilizing a fantastic smoker to ther best of it's capabilities and you'll be babysitting coals all day. Good luck!

parrothead said:
I laughed and told him I'd be getting closer to five
We did our briskets for the comp for 12 hours. No refueling. 2 hours later the coals were still hot.

I was thinking 5 was a little short as well.

I can get longer, obviously but so far, I haven't been able to get much longer than 5-6 without having to open up the air flow a bit more. The pit temps do start to drop and I've had to get up at night to adjust things but rarely add any fuel. If you're just talking heat, yeah, 8 to 10 hours would be good but is that consistent in a range of 210 to 220? If so, how are you going about it? Details, man, details! :)

Back