Which rib roast to buy?

tjtv

Found some matches.
I want to make a rib roast on my vision kamado for Christmas Eve. I've never done one on the smoker before, so I'm looking forward to it.

Shoprite(my local supermarket) has three different rib roasts on sale. You can see the flyer here:
http://plan.shoprite.com/Circular/ShopRite-of-Branchburg/B38C765/Weekly/3/2

1)Beef, Bone-In, Center Cut, USDA Choice Prime Rib Roast for $4.99/lb
2)Beef Rib, Center Cut, Bone-In Certified Angus Beef® Rib Roast for $6.99/lb
3)All Natural, Free Range, Grass Fed, Nature’s Reserve Boneless Beef Rib Eye Roast for $4.99/lb

I'm sure that they are all fine pieces of meat, but I'm not sure which to go with. How is grass fed ribeye, will it be less marbled than the other choices? Since the price per pound is the same for the grass fed boneless vs the regular bone-in it seems like I'd be getting more meat for the money by buying the boneless.

If I decide to go for bone-in, what about the difference between the regular and the angus? Is it worth the extra $2 per pound?

Or ultimately is this more about going to the supermarket and carefully looking at all of the pieces of meat to find the best loooking marbled cut?

Sorry to jack on your thread but I am from Hunterdon county and have not heard about ShopRite since I moved to the Midwest (Missouri).

The term "Angus" doesn't mean much to me. It's the grade of beef that I look for; prime, choice, etc. not worth an extra $2.00 a pound, IMHO.

Just my 2 cents.

I want to make a rib roast on my vision kamado for Christmas Eve. I've never done one on the smoker before, so I'm looking forward to it.

Shoprite(my local supermarket) has three different rib roasts on sale. You can see the flyer here:
http://plan.shoprite.com/Circular/ShopRite-of-Branchburg/B38C765/Weekly/3/2

1)Beef, Bone-In, Center Cut, USDA Choice Prime Rib Roast for $4.99/lb
2)Beef Rib, Center Cut, Bone-In Certified Angus Beef® Rib Roast for $6.99/lb
3)All Natural, Free Range, Grass Fed, Nature’s Reserve Boneless Beef Rib Eye Roast for $4.99/lb

I'm sure that they are all fine pieces of meat, but I'm not sure which to go with. How is grass fed ribeye, will it be less marbled than the other choices? Since the price per pound is the same for the grass fed boneless vs the regular bone-in it seems like I'd be getting more meat for the money by buying the boneless.

Grass feed beef has less marbling, which will give you a different taste. Some people do not like it (I do). Since Ribeye's stock in trade is that marbling, I would leave the grass fed beef on the shelf (especially if your guests are used to corn-fed beef). Buh bye #3

Another reason to eliminate #3 is no bone. You want the bones. Your dog wants the bones.

Personally, I like Choice and Prime, but I will take CAB over USDA Choice or Prime any day of the week, especially if the price delta is only $2 per pound. Buh Bye #1

The winnah: #2

I would go for bone in first of all. I doubt that the "Certified Angus" is worth the extra $2. At the same price I would go for it though.

I would compare the marbling of the various cuts at the store and might spring for the CAB if there was a significant difference there.

I also find the "choice prime rib" a little weird. No, bogus. It is either choice or prime. The prime rib you get at a restaurant damn well better be prime grade or they are cheating the customer, no? Ribeye is the name of the cut and prime/choice/select is the USDA grade.

I'm not sure I can refute SmokinJohn's claim that the CAB is worth the extra $2. My knee jerk is "spend the extra $$$ for the Christmas dinner." Since I like to perform side by side tests, I might be inclined to buy one of each and see if there is a noticeable difference.

FWIW, I plan to head out and pick up a standing rib roast or two today for the Christmas dinner. :grin: Then I'll be searching for posts that describe aging techniques.

Edit: One of my favorite stores has two rib roast sales. Angus for $5.99 and "Certified Piedmontese U.S.D.A. Choice Beef" for $10.99.

I've also seen Angus select. Make sure you also check the grade and don't rely on the term Angus. Our local Fresh Market promotes Hereford beef. Haven't noticed a difference between it and their regular choice grade, with the exception of a couple $$$ per pound increase in price.

All Certified Angus Beef (CAB) must be USDA Choice or better and has further specifications above and beyond the USDA grading program.

My opinion is that the CAB is the better choice if at the same price point. Is it $2/lb. better? For a special occasion meal I would say yes.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

If i had to choose one I would go with the CAB. If I didn't have to choose just one, I would go with the 1st two.

HankB;2733931 I also find the "choice prime rib" a little weird. No said:
Prime Rib Roast has become a marketing term for the roast, not necessarily the meat grade, so seeing "choice prime rib roast" doesn't surprise me at all :-D

tjtv, I would look at the roasts and pic the one that looks best. Both are choice grade so I'm not sure that the extra $2 for Angus is worth it unless the roast looks that much better.

Edit: One of my favorite stores has two rib roast sales. Angus for $5.99 and "Certified Piedmontese U.S.D.A. Choice Beef" for $10.99.

Fresh Market in Geneva had Hereford rib roasts at $7.99/lb this week. I've cooked several of these and have had great results. I believe their Hereford beef is either 10 or 14 day aged.

I also find the "choice prime rib" a little weird. No, bogus. It is either choice or prime. The prime rib you get at a restaurant damn well better be prime grade or they are cheating the customer, no? Ribeye is the name of the cut and prime/choice/select is the USDA grade.

I'm with HankB and Ron. This "choice prime rib" is a advertising trick. It is likely "choice" grade and "prime rib" is a marketing tool. That being said, I would go to the store and just pick out the best looking one. The price difference is only about 10 bucks on the whole roast up or down. Also, if your store has a real meat cutter, ask him what the deal is...and also point out that the advert is bullchit if it is choice.

The term Prime Rib is not an advertising trick, it is a term that preceded the creation of the USDA and it's grading system. Originally, the Prime Rib as deemed to be the best, or most prime, cut off of a steer. When the grading system was created, the term Prime Rib was grandfathered in as a traditional name of a cut. Yes, the proper name is Standing Rib Roast, but, Prime Rib sticks. It is worth noting, that the Prime Rib comes from the exact location that is used to grade a carcass, and is the only cut of meat off of a steer that is visually graded at processing.

All that being said, if it is CAB, and marked as such, then it is Choice or better, just because it says Angus, does not mean it is CAB, nor does it saying CAB mean it is actually Black Angus, it can be almost no BA and still be CAB, as that is a marketing term.

I would not do #3 without a specific reason, I would go #1 or #2, but, I would want to see the cuts and choose the one with the best marbling in the eye of the roast. I would avoid any large fat hunks in the middle of the roast. Also, get one with a good thick deckle and fat cap.

Incidentally, the fact that is is Australian grass-fed interests me, as they, along with Oregon, produce exceptional grass-fed and finished cattle. But, that price if far too low for the good stuff.

The term "Prime Rib" has been used forever.It`s just a way to associate a cut of meat to the consumer.As far as "Angus" are their any USDA guide lines as to the lineage of said breed and do they do DNA tests.Sorta reminds me of the Rests. claiming of "American Kobe beef".

Just based on the description, #1 appears to be the most cost effective one.

I am a huge fan of CAB, but an extra charge does not seem to be worth it in the case.

The key thing is to look at the meat and select based on amount and distribution of the fat.

As to the definition of "Prime Rib", it does not need to be Prime graded.

From the USDA Standards and Labeling Guide, page 154--http://www.fsis.usda.gov/OPPDE/larc/Policies/Labeling_Policy_Book_082005.pdf

"PRIME RIB OF BEEF OR STANDING
BEEF RIB ROAST FOR PRIME RIB:
These products do not have to be derived from USDA prime grade beef."

The term was in widespread use well before the USDA dreamed up the grades. So they "Grandfathered" the term.

Good Eats!!!!

TIM

Angus is a breed of cattle, that is pretty much it. There are many variations and types of angus out there. To be a CAB cutter, the steer must be raised by a member of the parent organization that owns the brand Certified Angus Beef. There is no government agency defining, or overseeing this brand. That is not a bad thing. Any person who have genetically Angus steer and agrees to abide by the rules, can gain a CAB certification, however, there are grading rules, that insure a consistent quality product.

Just because a cut of meat bears the name Angus, does not mean it is CAB, and it does not mean it will be good meat. Some of the best beef I have had came from my uncle's program, which focused on Herefords and Beefmaster cattle.

Just based on the description, #1 appears to be the most cost effective one.

I am a huge fan of CAB, but an extra charge does not seem to be worth it in the case.

The key thing is to look at the meat and select based on amount and distribution of the fat.

As to the definition of "Prime Rib", it does not need to be Prime graded.

From the USDA Standards and Labeling Guide, page 154--http://www.fsis.usda.gov/OPPDE/larc/Policies/Labeling_Policy_Book_082005.pdf

"PRIME RIB OF BEEF OR STANDING
BEEF RIB ROAST FOR PRIME RIB:
These products do not have to be derived from USDA prime grade beef."

The term was in widespread use well before the USDA dreamed up the grades. So they "Grandfathered" the term.

Good Eats!!!!

TIM

Yup, that's why that "choice" before the "prime rib" tends me to think that this is actually a "choice" grade. Ask the meat cutter what's up if the label is confusing when you get to the store...if they have a real one (which I doubt).

Roasts #1 and #2 are clearly labeled as USDA CHOICE grade in the ad. I was never under the impression that I was getting USDA PRIME graded meat for $4.99/lb.

Additionally, roast #2 is clearly labeled CAB beef, not just Angus.

Back